Make your selection.

What frightens the horror writer's?

• Ghosts (Unseen)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Ghosts (seen)

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Dark mages, clerics, alchamists, necromancers etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Insects (Spiders)

• Insects (Other)

• The dark

• Pyschological

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Other (Goblins, pixies, leprochauns, new monsters/ghosts etc)

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Violence

• What is unseen

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

__VeNoM__

Late Night Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writers.net
I know this has already been done in the horror section, but I feel it's about time it happened again. I started another poll for what horror writers find scary. I have a personal interest in this, and I also think it could be valuable for some of you. So feel free to make a choice.

Last edited:

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
I voted psychological. Anyone going crazy is a scary thing guaranteed to keep me up at night.

pickman

Registered
Reaction score
I voted ghosts - the idea of seeing one has scared me since childhood, but it also fired up my youthful imagination.

If I were allowed more than one choice I would also vote "psychological", as films and ficton with a psychological theme are the only ones that still scare me as an adult.

__VeNoM__

Late Night Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writers.net
I voted psychological. Anyone going crazy is a scary thing guaranteed to keep me up at night.

Yeah, when you're younger I think that can be a little unsettling, but I find it doesn't scare me at all anymore. Maybe it's because most of the movies in this area are poor. When I saw The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I was literally so bored that I had to change the channel. Same thing with Jeeper's Creeper's, but the idea of a new catalyst for horror kept me a little more interested from the start.
With this said, I must admit, watching some thrillers (seeing's as I never get around to reading them) can be a bit of fun. Not often scary, but enjoyable none the less. I like a good twist.

I voted ghosts - the idea of seeing one has scared me since childhood, but it also fired up my youthful imagination.

Just out of interest, do you believe in them?

__VeNoM__

Late Night Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writers.net
One other thing pickman. It's interesting that you find ghost's more frightening when seen. I would have thought it would be the other way around.

Last edited:

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I had to go with "other"... the idea of aliens scares me to death, it always has!

Ghosts got nothing on aliens! And I'd take a bucket full of spiders over either one! lol

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I've seen Darkness Falls. The idea and special effects were good but the script was horrible along with some of the acting.

My pick was psychological. Although, unseen ghosts are pretty frightening too.

__VeNoM__

Late Night Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writers.net
Hmm, there's some interesting opinions amongst you.

I never thought alien's were scary as such, but more interesting and different.

Another for the mind job. So far psychological takes it.

Cheers for the idea's guys.

Last edited:

pickman

Registered
Reaction score
__VeNoM__ said:
One other thing pickman. It's interesting that you find ghost's more frightening when seen. I would have thought it would be the other way around.

Unseen ghosts can be more easily explained away as something mundane. Footsteps on the landing are just creaky floorboards, that sort of thing. To me the most terrifying stories of ghostly encounters are the ones where people actually see them - not only does it completely shake up your sense of reality, but it is more in your face and you have to deal with it.

As for whether or not I believe in them, that's a difficult question. As a kid, I had experiences that appeared to be ghostly phenomena - as in I could not explain them away as anything else, and they scared the hell out of me. Looking back, I see some of them as hypnagogic images coming about on the onset of sleep, and other things which my young imagination interpreted as something more sinister. But it doesn't stop me having nightmares about it as an adult.

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Ok, now I'm interested to know exactly why you'd find seeing a ghost frightening (in an interested way, not a critical one).

I vote Unseen, by the way. I'm sure I've said this before, but anything that can be seen can be labelled and rationalised and, more importantly, watched from a distance. Not seeing what's hiding under the bed allows your mind to fill in the blanks, and there's nothing scarier than the scariest thing you can imagine.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Yep--I'm with the unseen/unknown contingent. The monster hiding in the closet is much scarier than the actual face of the boogeyman.

pickman

Registered
Reaction score
three seven said:
Ok, now I'm interested to know exactly why you'd find seeing a ghost frightening (in an interested way, not a critical one).

I think I more or less anwered that in my last post. Or maybe not. Hearing ghostly voices can be explained away and ignored as hallucination for example. But if you see a shimmering apparition suddenly appear in your room, there is no way you can explain that (although plenty of people will try to, and come up with "rational" explanations that are so weak that the idea of ghosts existing seems more plausible). I guess its a case of the supernatural intruding on everyday reality and completely shaking you up.

I hope I put that across clearly, although I very much doubt that I have.

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
If you want to get skeptical, seeing an actual ghost could be easily dismissed as just an hallucination too. How do you rationalize an object moving by itself? If something flies across the room, what possible explanation is there for that? I don't doubt that some things that people claim to have been caused by ghost can be explained, but I believe there are some things can't be.

Seen or unseen, it doesn't really matter to me. They are both pretty frightening. I would have to choose unseen over seen as being more frightening because if something touches you and you turn around and don't see anything, that's pretty scary yet your mind is also trying to rationalize that. Some people take something like that and automatically assume it was a ghost and others just dismiss it as being a figment of their imagination.

I think what makes ghosts scary is the unknown. There are so many questions that can't be answered. I think it's frightening that some ghosts can possible cause harm to you and there's really no way to fight back except for leaving. It's all about control. Once you've lost it and don't know how to get it back, that can be scary for some people.

__VeNoM__

Late Night Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writers.net
there's nothing scarier than the scariest thing you can imagine.

Too right.

I would have to choose unseen over seen as being more frightening because if something touches you and you turn around and don't see anything, that's pretty scary yet your mind is also trying to rationalize that.

That's a good point and I would have to say I agree.

With that said however, I do think if done particularly well, seeing a ghost can be frightening for many. Personally, I like the intrigue that comes with something unseen and unknown...as three seven said, the reader/movie watcher gets to fill in the blanks, and what he/she is afraid of (which is a very individual thing) will rise into their conscious mind. I think that this can create a very good horror (if done well).
Personally, I can't see the seen ghost being more frightening than the unseen...which bring's out some people's greatest fears.

__VeNoM__

Late Night Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writers.net
It's interesting though, I thought that psychological would be one of the lowest due to the plot lacking movies that are produced.

__VeNoM__

Late Night Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writers.net
I voted for unseen. I can deal with and rationalize with things that I see and things that seem unexplainable. Things unseen have a way of playing with an imagination. If you can't see what you're dealing with, a scenario of terror can follow.

Well, don't our greatest fears reveal their true prevalence through our imaginations? This is where phobias come from, so I think enough horror for anyone would be what their mind can conjure for them.

Last edited:

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
In 1984 isn't that how Big Brother got the protagonists to turn against each other by making them believe their worst fear. The male MC's greatest fear was getting eaten by rats. In reality he wasn't getting attacked at all. Big Brother just made him believe he was. Therefore it was real in his mind. Now that's scary.

__VeNoM__

Late Night Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writers.net
I've seen ghosts and they don't frighten me a bit...

Please, by all means share the details. After all, the UK is reknowned for sightings.
I'm very skeptical about it...but they can make a great horror story.

Status
Not open for further replies.