Mildred Pierce

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished watching the first episode of a new HBO mini-series based on the novel by James M. Cain. It was outstanding.

Mildred Pierce, the novel, is in my estimation one of the finest and most underrated American novels of the twentieth century. This first TV episode was highly faithful to the novel, and well worth a watch.

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com
Hey blacbird - my partner and I happened on the first episode over the weekend and really got pulled in too.

I haven't read the novel, just saw the original movie years ago. Kate Winslet was of course terrific, and I plan on watching more.

My only gripe was the sometimes melodramatic soundtrack--rising up to crescendo at all the most dramatic parks--a bit cheesey and "made for TV" quality, though perhaps they were trying to recapture the sensibility of the 1940's original.

COchick

in a holding pattern
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leighgrayson.blogspot.com
I managed to catch the first part when it aired, and I wasn't too sure...and then I got pulled in. I loved it. I think I'll do it bass-ackwards this time, and watch the movie first, then read the book.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I haven't read the novel (though I read The Postman Always Rings Twice, which is great), but know the 1945 Joan Crawford movie.

The relationship between Mildred and Veda is laid out with greater complexity and subtlety this time. The last scene in the second episode was fantastic; took me a few moments to think about what Mildred's line "Thank God" really meant.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read the novel (though I read The Postman Always Rings Twice, which is great), but know the 1945 Joan Crawford movie.

The relationship between Mildred and Veda is laid out with greater complexity and subtlety this time. The last scene in the second episode was fantastic; took me a few moments to think about what Mildred's line "Thank God" really meant.
The JC film is one of my favourites, ever. I'm looking forward to seeing what AMC does with it. The Radio Times says UK is definitely getting it. Ooh, I wonder if the trend will continue with All About Eve???