PDA

View Full Version : In mourning for The Killing

zahra
04-02-2011, 10:14 PM
OK, fully prepared to accept that no-one here will know what I'm talking about.

But I'm bereft after the 10 weeks of the serial drama 'The Killing', ended last Saturday. It was about the murder of a teenage girl (I usually avoid such things), and the effect the investigation had on the family, the police (ah, Det. Sarah Lund, I have such a girl-crush! Though I wanted to slap you at times) and the politicians trying to win an election and caught up in suspicion.

A Danish production, with subtitles and all, it was brilliant, with twists and turns and wit and angst and realism. The acting was wonderful. The writers tortured you in ways that may qualify them for serious psychiatric investigation. I cried when a character I didn't even like at first got killed. I wanted to slap a character I loved at times (yes, Sarah Lund, investigative goddess, stubborn bint, wearer of horrid jumpers that she somehow made look cool).

THAT's how to do a murder mystery. America's getting a re-make, but they're having to change the identity of the murderer because of all the 'Killing' geeks online activity.

Anyway, had to vent my sadness as no two people in the same postcode appear to have watched it.

Those of us who did, though, are stunned. Go on, check out the thread on digitalspy. BUT BE CAREFUL IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHO DID IT, BRIT VIEWERS WHO MIGHT GET A REPEAT SHOWING. (US ARE GETTING A DIFFERENT MURDERER...HMMM...)

As you were.

Sophia
04-03-2011, 02:44 AM
It's a show I heard about after it had been on for a while. I thought it sounded great. I'm keeping an eye out, and if it's shown again here, I'll definitely be watching it.

zahra
04-03-2011, 03:45 AM
Its viewing figures were great for BBC4. I'm tempted to say that had it been on a more popular channel, it would have been a big hit, but 20-parter AND subtitles? That would have put off a lot of potential viewers.

But I INSIST you watch it if it comes on again, Sophia. :) You'll thank me.

mirandashell
04-03-2011, 09:12 PM
It was brilliant! The way the BBC should do crime dramas.

Manuel Royal
04-04-2011, 04:35 AM
So, the show that's going to be on AMC in the States is a remake? Sounds interesting -- but I always like to see the original.

zahra
04-04-2011, 05:07 PM
So, the show that's going to be on AMC in the States is a remake? Sounds interesting -- but I always like to see the original.
If you possibly can - DVD or whatever - do.

Spiral, a French murder-detective series, started on Sat, will watch it on Catch-up. But I miss Sarah Lund and her jumpers. (weeps)

zahra
04-04-2011, 05:36 PM
http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/03/01/exclusive-sneak-peek-amc-the-killing/

Here's a link to a sneak peek of the US version.

Grrarrgh
04-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Shoot! The American remake premiered yesterday and I forgot to record it. Hopefully AMC will show it again. I'd rather see the original, but I don't see it available anywhere.

ETA: I love the internet. I was able to set my DVR remotely to record it the next time it's on. :D

Smileycat
04-04-2011, 07:37 PM
If you possibly can - DVD or whatever - do.

Spiral, a French murder-detective series, started on Sat, will watch it on Catch-up. But I miss Sarah Lund and her jumpers. (weeps)

Jumpers is another word for sweaters, right?

It will eventually be on here in the USA.

zahra
04-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Jumpers is another word for sweaters, right?

It will eventually be on here in the USA.
Oh, yeah, sorry - sweaters! Hope you do get to see the original. I did a little imagining of a UK remake and i couldn't see any of our actors doing such a good, subtle job. Mind you, the actress playing Sarah 'Sweater' Lund said the director had to keep reminding her to damp down the acting.

One of my favourite small drop-in parts is when her partner Jan Meyer's wife delivers bananas (for his hypo-glycaemia) to his and Sarah's shared office and tries to be all girlie with Sarah, telling her to make sure Jan eats them. The look on Sarah's face! Totally alien to the whole nurturing concept. And then later she eats all the bananas! And then when Jan asks her if she ate his 'nanas, does her 'I don't want to answer that question, so I'll act like I didn't hear it,' thing (the thing that makes my slap-hand itch). Priceless.

screenscope
04-06-2011, 09:54 AM
I have the Danish TV version of The Killing on DVD, but haven't watched it yet.

After seeing the fabulous Unit One and The Eagle series, I'm addicted to all things Danish. These shows are good as anything I've seen on TV from anywhere.

heyjude
04-06-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm loving the US version, though I've heard the original is better.

Smileycat
04-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Oh, yeah, sorry - sweaters! Hope you do get to see the original. I did a little imagining of a UK remake and i couldn't see any of our actors doing such a good, subtle job. Mind you, the actress playing Sarah 'Sweater' Lund said the director had to keep reminding her to damp down the acting.

One of my favourite small drop-in parts is when her partner Jan Meyer's wife delivers bananas (for his hypo-glycaemia) to his and Sarah's shared office and tries to be all girlie with Sarah, telling her to make sure Jan eats them. The look on Sarah's face! Totally alien to the whole nurturing concept. And then later she eats all the bananas! And then when Jan asks her if she ate his 'nanas, does her 'I don't want to answer that question, so I'll act like I didn't hear it,' thing (the thing that makes my slap-hand itch). Priceless.

Sounds delightful. I'll look forward to seeing it. (My favorite jumper is navy and is plain but it fits well.)

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
04-07-2011, 04:43 AM
I'm loving the US version, though I've heard the original is better.Yes, I must say that if they can maintain the quality of the pilot throughout the series they will have a real winner on their hands.

I think it is worth pointing out however, that it is less a US version than an American version. The show is very Canadian.

Curfew Gull
04-07-2011, 05:56 AM
I wasn't going to watch this, because of the subject matter, but there wasn't anything else on last Sunday, so I got hooked. PBS was doing the Civil War. This current version is very well acted and directed, and I'm still a little disappointed in myself for getting hooked by a show that does go the sensationalist (sex, bloody murder, teen-age girl - all mixed together to make it more eye-catching) route.

mirandashell
04-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Sensationalist? Eh?

That's one thing I would say it isn't. It's not just about the crime or about the detectives. It's also about the effect Nanna's murder has on her family. The original was heart-breaking at times. There was a scene where her father broke down and sobbed his heart out in a petrol station toilet. I and nearly everyone watching sobbed along with him.

veinglory
04-07-2011, 10:10 PM
I watched the first 90 minutes and then bailed. It was good but even very good teen girl murder mystery with vague political implications does feel a bit familiar. I was insufficiently sure that it was going to do something different with the usual suspects.

mirandashell
04-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Mate! You missed out. You should have stuck with it. It was definitely different.

Curfew Gull
04-08-2011, 04:00 AM
Sensationalist? Eh?

That's one thing I would say it isn't. It's not just about the crime or about the detectives. It's also about the effect Nanna's murder has on her family. The original was heart-breaking at times. There was a scene where her father broke down and sobbed his heart out in a petrol station toilet. I and nearly everyone watching sobbed along with him.

Ah, I'm probably more squeemish (msp?) than the average Jane. But, the last scene of Sunday's ep (don't want to spoil -) seemed a bit sensationalist to me. And you are right, there is quite a lot of very good acting, and parent anguish, etc. My problem is the other, the plot, and the harping on just what horrible things were done to the teen before she died, etc. etc. etc. And of course these horrible things will be revisited probably again, and again, and again through out the Series.

So, to me, that is a bit like beating the dead teenager, to get more people to watch ... but it does the opposite for me.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
04-08-2011, 05:05 AM
I found it reminiscent of Twin Peaks--without Bob (at least, I hope without Bob).

mirandashell
04-08-2011, 10:57 PM
I found it reminiscent of Twin Peaks--without Bob (at least, I hope without Bob).

Ermmmm.... are you sure you've got the right programme? LOL!

Curfew, I see what you mean but I think it may be your squeamishness coming in to play. I honestly didn't think they harped on the details of Nanna's murder more than any other crime drama would. Less than some, in fact.

Yes, sometimes it could be brutal. But murder is brutal. It tears families to pieces. And I don't think they sensationalised that at all.

It wasn't CSI, which plays down the horror and nastiness of murder to the point where they disappear. It was unflinching but it didn't treat Nanna's death like a tabloid story either.

zahra
04-09-2011, 12:52 AM
Ermmmm.... are you sure you've got the right programme? LOL!

Curfew, I see what you mean but I think it may be your squeamishness coming in to play. I honestly didn't think they harped on the details of Nanna's murder more than any other crime drama would. Less than some, in fact.

Yes, sometimes it could be brutal. But murder is brutal. It tears families to pieces. And I don't think they sensationalised that at all.

It wasn't CSI, which plays down the horror and nastiness of murder to the point where they disappear. It was unflinching but it didn't treat Nanna's death like a tabloid story either.
But Curfew is in America - they might have 'icked' it up. I was hoping not, but there you go. I agree that its restraint, whilst not flinching, is one of the original's strengths.

I started watching 'Spiral', the French murder mystery in the slot vacated by 'The Killing', last week. It's also about a teen-girl murder but I was hoping it would have the same class. No such luck. They showed (and kept showing) the full mutilation of the girl. And the police are all shouty and cry-y and it really isn't as good at all. I'm not going to stick with that one. It takes a lot to make me watch anything with teen-girl murder as its basis, and 'Spiral' is way too prurient for me.

I'd be interested to find out who the murderer is in the American version fo 'The Killing'.

Screenscope, you have a treat in store with the Danish version.

Said The Sun
04-09-2011, 01:01 AM
No idea what you're talking about, but that mini picture of Tom Hardy is enough for me. Yes siree! :D

mirandashell
04-09-2011, 01:19 AM
But Curfew is in America - they might have 'icked' it up. I was hoping not, but there you go. I agree that its restraint, whilst not flinching, is one of the original's strengths.

Yes, of course! I forgot they saw a remake in America. I was talking about the original.

Sorry Curfew.

zahra
04-09-2011, 01:31 AM
No idea what you're talking about, but that mini picture of Tom Hardy is enough for me. Yes siree! :D
The boy certainly is a distraction....I wonder what he'd look like in a nasty sweater.

Aimless Lady
04-09-2011, 05:56 AM
I'm loving the US version, though I've heard the original is better.

Me too. It just happened to be on last Sunday and the hubby and I decided to watch it. We're gearing up for this Sunday's episode.

Curfew Gull
04-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Yes, of course! I forgot they saw a remake in America. I was talking about the original.

Sorry Curfew.

Yeah, I think the American version is probably a lot more violent. Now I am curious about the original! If it shows up on our shores, may give it a go ;>)

mirandashell
04-11-2011, 09:18 PM
You should watch it, I think it would suit you much better. It is much more restrained as far as the goriness goes but it still hits quite hard.

Rock Throwing Peasan
05-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Watching the series via DVR. I typically hate the "cop drama," because it's so formulaic. Don't like to break out the art-school nomenclature, but they really are.

So, I'm finding the side-scenes and characterization much more interesting. The political sideshow seems to be a distraction. I hope it plays into the plot in some meaningful way, because it's been fairly pointless so far.

Worth watching, I think. AMC's done a decent job scouting out the off-the-beaten-path dramas.

mirandashell
05-12-2011, 07:16 PM
It's not a distraction. Keep watching.

Rock Throwing Peasan
05-13-2011, 12:28 AM
I should note that I'm watching the US version. I wonder if the foreign version is available on Netflix.

Emerson
05-13-2011, 07:17 AM
I very hesitantly enjoy this show (US version). I loved the pilot and 2 or so episodes after that. Then I thought it got pretty slow and weak for 2 or 3 weeks, and has improved since. Would those in this thread who watched the original and AMC version like to comment how closely it's following the story?

Rock Throwing Peasan
05-17-2011, 10:14 PM
This show is on the edge of getting shelved (for me).

The characters are two dimensional. I have no emotional appeal for anyone so far, except maybe the father of the girl and that may just be because I'm a father. Seriously, if any character is killed off, I won't say, "Oh no!"

It is also trending toward political correctness, which isn't a good sign as far as an indicator of future "inventive" writing.

I have two episodes to watch. May finish them tonight. Maybe I was expecting too much.

mirandashell
05-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Peasan, definitely get the original version. No 2D characters in that at all. And the emotions are subtly played but they really grab you.

There is a scene with the father in a gas station that is gut-wrenchingly sad.

And there's no political correctness either. I had a feeling that might come out in the American version.

mirandashell
05-17-2011, 10:23 PM
I very hesitantly enjoy this show (US version). I loved the pilot and 2 or so episodes after that. Then I thought it got pretty slow and weak for 2 or 3 weeks, and has improved since. Would those in this thread who watched the original and AMC version like to comment how closely it's following the story?

I haven't seen the AMC version. But the original kept thousands of people gripped for weeks over here.

Rock Throwing Peasan
05-18-2011, 09:46 PM
There is a scene with the father in a gas station that is gut-wrenchingly sad.

They may have had that scene in the American version. He goes in and breaks down because he's had to hold it all together since the wife is taking it so hard.

The guy playing that father nailed the emotion in that scene, too. I think he's a former "fat guy in sit com," but can't recall the show.

I feel connected to that character, but the main players seem lifeless. I don't think I could describe the main investigator without using physical descriptors. They want the audience to feel she's obsessed, but I'm not getting any life from her. The vice cop she's training had a subplot that seemed completely forced into the script.

The politician involved is a boy scout who somehow abandons every principle he had in a matter of hours. No reflection as to why, really. We just witness the decisions (and, again, a forced and brief subplot about his wife's murder - I assume it's his wife's murder).

I can see how the idea can be very good and that's why I will seek out the foreign version.

It's now on to a federal/terrorist plot. It reminds me of a terrible episode of The District that I had to sit through at my mother-in-law's house. Craig Nelson is a police chief and the under Secretary of State is trying to have him killed.

My point is, a murder should have enough drama to build around. So, why throw "Oh my G-D!" plot twists into it?

mirandashell
05-18-2011, 09:53 PM
A terrorist plot? Which what? Dearie me... there's no need for that at all.

The original is all about Nanna's murder and its ripples. There's no reason to have anything outside of that.

Rock Throwing Peasan
05-18-2011, 10:34 PM
A terrorist plot? Which what? Dearie me... there's no need for that at all.

The original is all about Nanna's murder and its ripples. There's no reason to have anything outside of that.
Yeah, they're working in a Muslim/terrorist plot thing that is almost telegraphing, "Government persecuting innocents." As in, the teacher is using fake passports to get girls out of sex-slave trade and the feds are going to stop his work.

I dunno.

mirandashell
05-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Oh dear....

zahra
05-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Oh, blimey. The US version does seem to be throwing stuff into the pot that the original didn't need.

I'm sorry it isn't as good, Peasan. Seek out the original; as I've said here before, they have a different perp in that one, so it won't be like you know it all in advance.

And you'll get to revel in the luminescence that is Sarah Lund:heart:.....

Rock Throwing Peasan
05-23-2011, 05:24 PM
Yeah, they're working in a Muslim/terrorist plot thing that is almost telegraphing, "Government persecuting innocents." As in, the teacher is using fake passports to get girls out of sex-slave trade and the feds are going to stop his work.

I dunno.

Well, I was close. The government is persecuting Muslims and the teacher and friend are using fake passports, not to get girls out of sex trade, but to get one away from her family so she can avoid female circumcision. They even worked in "the rubes attacked a mosque" bit. This was just as predictable as the producer's contempt for the viewing public.

Maybe the Dutch version was original, but this series is slow, meandering, devoid of emotion, and so predictable it's unwatchable.

I'm done with the series.

mirandashell
05-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Hmmm.. that's a real shame. The original is slow but there is so much emotion in it that it hooks you for weeks. The BBC messageboard had a thread that consisted of over a thousand posts with people discussing what had happened in the last episode and what might happen in the next. It was a constant puzzle but it all wrapped up in the end.

jaksen
05-23-2011, 10:32 PM
It's wonderful and complex; most of the acting is superb. If I were a writer with credits attached to this show...

I'd die a happy writer.

Rock Throwing Peasan
05-23-2011, 11:34 PM
I think what I consider, "meandering," you may consider "complex." I just don't see the payoff for the longer format. I think that's the root of my problem with the show. They are accomplishing nothing that Law and Order doesn't do in an hour, because the plot isn't any more complicated than a garden-variety cop drama.

The writers did nothing to build the main character, other than constantly reminding us in promos that she's "obsessed." They force in scenes with her son and former social worker (?), though they don't build her character substantively. Can you put together a paragraph descibing her, without talking about what she does for a living or her physical appearance?

The politician character went from super boy scout to a craven, desparate opportunist and back again. Is the audience really supposed to care if boy scout wins the election? Why? They didn't build a deep character by having him do his dance, because it was completely out of character given the five or so previous episodes. It was as if they wanted the audience to think, "Look! We're going to do this to him, but you know he's really deep down a boy scout and he'll come back."

And trotting out the post 9/11 "America persecutes innocent Muslims" bit was not only predicted, but completely out of place. It wasn't a twist of the plot, it was hammered into the plot by the writers. In fact, the writers seem to be addressing all sorts of pet issues (10 minutes of an episode about bed-wetting...what? Where was that going? If nowhere, then why not use that time more constructively?). We also had an Narco Anon issue crop up and then get dropped. And, of course, female genital mutilation. Ugh, I'd hate to see all the ribbons on their dresses come awards time.

If they really wanted to top off this series, make the politician the murderer in a ploy to [insert absurd reason here that the writers will tie in to make yet another politically correct point].

Though I would be happy if I was a paid writer for the show, because I snookered a studio out of a year's worth of paychecks for a plot that could be done in an hour on Law and Order.

mirandashell
05-23-2011, 11:51 PM
LOL!

Seriously, the original is way better written than that! I don't really want to discuss the plot twists in case you do watch it. But none of it is shoehorned. It all flows naturally from what comes before.

Sarah Lund .... she's calm under pressure. She doesn't get on with her mom who wishes that her daughter would settle down with her fiance and have a nicer job. She's having the usual problems with a teenage son. Her obsessive nature makes her self-centred. She doesn't have much of a sense of humour but can be funny to other people. She loves Fair Isle jumpers and has several of the same pattern. She's physically fit and can use a gun. She loves her fiance even though she can be inconsiderate to him. She's mentally tough. She's intelligent and can make intuitive leaps. She's stubborn.

Is that enough for now?

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
05-24-2011, 02:10 PM
I think what I consider, "meandering," you may consider "complex." I just don't see the payoff for the longer format. I think that's the root of my problem with the show. They are accomplishing nothing that Law and Order doesn't do in an hour, because the plot isn't any more complicated than a garden-variety cop drama.

The writers did nothing to build the main character, other than constantly reminding us in promos that she's "obsessed." They force in scenes with her son and former social worker (?), though they don't build her character substantively. Can you put together a paragraph descibing her, without talking about what she does for a living or her physical appearance?

The politician character went from super boy scout to a craven, desparate opportunist and back again. Is the audience really supposed to care if boy scout wins the election? Why? They didn't build a deep character by having him do his dance, because it was completely out of character given the five or so previous episodes. It was as if they wanted the audience to think, "Look! We're going to do this to him, but you know he's really deep down a boy scout and he'll come back."

And trotting out the post 9/11 "America persecutes innocent Muslims" bit was not only predicted, but completely out of place. It wasn't a twist of the plot, it was hammered into the plot by the writers. In fact, the writers seem to be addressing all sorts of pet issues (10 minutes of an episode about bed-wetting...what? Where was that going? If nowhere, then why not use that time more constructively?). We also had an Narco Anon issue crop up and then get dropped. And, of course, female genital mutilation. Ugh, I'd hate to see all the ribbons on their dresses come awards time.

If they really wanted to top off this series, make the politician the murderer in a ploy to [insert absurd reason here that the writers will tie in to make yet another politically correct point].

Though I would be happy if I was a paid writer for the show, because I snookered a studio out of a year's worth of paychecks for a plot that could be done in an hour on Law and Order.I can't really disagree with anything you said, altho I am not quite as fed up with the show as you sound. It's interesting, we were talking this past Sunday and it was proposed that given the molasses in winter pace of the plot, we (meaning myself and housemate) probably wouldn't be as forgiving were the show on any other night except Sunday. It sort of matches our own Sunday night pace.

That being said, this past Sunday (5/22) was a particularly jagoff episode. A complete waste of time ending in the (nonstartling) "we just beat the crap out of an innocent man!" And really, as much as I want to empathize and feel for the Larsens, I'm tired of Michele Forbes' single long-held note and the constant "You promised me you would catch the man who did this." (How many times has she had that same conversation with the detective anyway?) I'm hoping they throw both Larsen parents in jail and send the bedwetting boy(s) off to foster parents--just for something interesting to happen!

zahra
05-25-2011, 03:00 AM
The US version does seem to be a lot more hysterical and hammer-home-y than the original.

We're getting the US version in Britain, by the way. I don't think I'll bother watching it. Well, I might, for comparison purposes, but can't swear to it.

Original Sarah Lund? Stubborn, guarded, clever, un-nuturing, impatient, brave, annoying. The thing I like best about the 'obsessed' aspect of the character is that it's done so subtly. You don't see her pacing the room and yattering on about it, she just does it.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
06-20-2011, 07:57 AM
OK. So I have to ask those who saw the original: did they solve the murder? The US version just ended season one <spoilers from here on, scroll over text to read> without solving the murder. In fact, the audience has been led to believe that the polititian they arrested is being framed by the new detective who is working for some (hidden) manipulator who is trying to bring the polititian down.

mirandashell
06-20-2011, 09:55 PM
What? WHAT? Flippin eck what a rotten ending!

If you want to know who the murder was in the original, scroll over: It was the best friend of the father. I can't remember his damn name... anyway, he killed Nanna because she was about to run away with her boyfriend. Who was a Muslim. And the clues to this were in the very first episode and never mentioned again.

The politicians got caught up in through one coincidence and all the ramifications of that. It actually had nothing to do with them at all! Brilliant ending.

eyeblink
06-20-2011, 10:03 PM

If you want to know who the murder was in the original, scroll over: It was the best friend of the father. I can't remember his damn name... anyway, he killed Nanna because she was about to run away with her boyfriend. Who was a Muslim. And the clues to this were in the very first episode and never mentioned again.

The politicians got caught up in through one coincidence and all the ramifications of that. It actually had nothing to do with them at all! Brilliant ending.

The name you're forgetting is Vagn.

The Danish version will be getting a BBC repeat and The Killing II (ten parts this time) will be shown in the Autumn. It premiered in Denmark in 2009; I think this will be its debut in an English-speaking country. (The first series was shown in Australia in 2010.)

mirandashell
06-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Thanks Eyeblink. I'm really bad at remembering names.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
06-22-2011, 06:07 AM

The politicians got caught up in through one coincidence and all the ramifications of that. It actually had nothing to do with them at all! Brilliant ending.Amazingly he was my first suspect in the American version as well. But they sort of cleared him. I guess, since the true cuplrit has yet to be revealed it could be him in the end!

heyjude
06-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Dh and I watched the finale last night. He loved it. Says it doesn't matter to him that they didn't solve the murder, because it was so well-done. I'm kind of meh-y about it.

Meh-y is a word, right?

Emerson
06-25-2011, 08:27 AM
I thought the finale of this was absolutely horrendous, and probably won't be watching Season 2.

zahra
07-14-2011, 10:58 PM
US version now on in the UK.

MttStrn
07-15-2011, 01:31 AM
That screaming you maybe heard last night? Me yelling at the TV over the last episode which I finally was able to watch. Now, a day later, I can say that I don't care quite so much and will be waiting for season two so I can see if I'm right about who I think did it.

Sophia
08-21-2011, 08:34 PM
For UK viewers: BBC4 are showing the Danish version of The Killing over the next five days, beginning tonight (Sunday 21st August) at 10 pm.

mirandashell
08-21-2011, 09:13 PM
OH and I have decided that it's too early to watch it again. We're looking forward to the next series.

Camilla Delvalle
08-21-2011, 11:11 PM
I've seen this! (Danish version) It was great, especially how *spoiler*:the female detective slowly deteriorated mentally and towards the end...

I don't know if I would recommend it to others though. It is very long. After every episode I complained about the incompetence of the police, because Poirot would have solved it in one episode.

Celia Cyanide
01-30-2013, 05:46 AM
Does anybody know if the US version of The Killing season 2 will be coming to DVD or netflix?