Who Made Those Beautiful Steampunk Avatars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I'm a visual artist (NOT a writer at all, but y'all have been really welcoming and nice), and I've been enjoying today's April Fool's Steampunk theme. There's such an impressive amount of thought and work put into it, I've just been going from board to board and looking.

My question is: who made all these steampunk avatars? They're fabulous! And beautiful, and disturbing. What artists crafted these images? Where did you find yours?

I'll start. I didn't actually make mine. I found it online at the National Library of France, which has a series of utopian postcards dating to 1910 which depict life "en l'an 2000" ("in the year 2000"). You can find them at http://expositions.bnf.fr/utopie/feuill/index.htm

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I made mine, and a couple of others, with photoshop.

I took a picture of myself and added the background and costume bits from Google.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I asked a similar question earlier.
I think people have been collecting images from all over the net and using them. I particularly like the one at the top of the screen, though. Not sure about that one :)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I found mine image googling "steampunk monkey." It's from a coloring book by Chet Phillips.

I wanted to keep in the theme of my Ernie Kovacs gorilla. I came almost close.

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
The banner in the header was build by Clockwork, a longtime mod and AW member. I was SO excited when he sent it to me, yesterday, because I think it's absolutely stunning, too.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The banner in the header was build by Clockwork, a longtime mod and AW member. I was SO excited when he sent it to me, yesterday, because I think it's absolutely stunning, too.
it's too pretty to leave up for just one day ...

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
My cyber-spatial parlor illustrated representation comes from the pictographic magic lantern spectacle known as The Venture Bros.

My former cyber-spatial representation was a rascally yet adorable Minion Twentieth-First who serves under the command of the ineffective mastermind who strikes under the appelative of The Monarch; so I considered appropiate to use their pastiche of strongman extraordinaire and example of Grecian ideal Eugen Sandow, who according to the amusing apocrypha of said work, was a superb personal protector and valet on the same vein than Mr. Brock Samson on a Victorian era not unlike the one represented on The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

LStein

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
I have been wandering around the boards in a daze. What fun!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got mine by googling steampunk woman. It's pretty amazing--and a perfect likeness in many respects.

Maryn, somewhat corroded

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
i have no idea where my lovely new avatar came from, but it's dead cool.

I love that banner, it's stunning. I wouldn't mind seeing it stick around for a while.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Clockwork, that banner is delicious. And everyone else who worked on it, that was the best April Fools Day prank ever.

I'm going to be sad when it's over....

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Yep, it's amazing. He did such a great job.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
I too love Clockwork's banner, its breathtaking.

I found my avatar on deviantArt where all good things are. It continues my tinkerbell tradition (my human chained tink, bondage tink, crucified tink, caged tink, etc) and fits in the theme;) I loves it. I loves it hard.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Mine just appeared. Someone obviously liked my suit and needed the lasso of truth.

Actually, you're the beta tester for the new Wonder Woman costume. There've been a few issues with the others, so the producers decided to go with something a little more rugged.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I found the bunny pic at Icanhascheeseburger.com and captioned it. I'm keeping Capn Cogg for a while. He's too cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.