PDA

View Full Version : Who Made Those Beautiful Steampunk Avatars?

Alessandra Kelley
04-02-2011, 12:10 AM
I'm a visual artist (NOT a writer at all, but y'all have been really welcoming and nice), and I've been enjoying today's April Fool's Steampunk theme. There's such an impressive amount of thought and work put into it, I've just been going from board to board and looking.

My question is: who made all these steampunk avatars? They're fabulous! And beautiful, and disturbing. What artists crafted these images? Where did you find yours?

I'll start. I didn't actually make mine. I found it online at the National Library of France, which has a series of utopian postcards dating to 1910 which depict life "en l'an 2000" ("in the year 2000"). You can find them at http://expositions.bnf.fr/utopie/feuill/index.htm

Cyia
04-02-2011, 12:13 AM
I made mine, and a couple of others, with photoshop.

I took a picture of myself and added the background and costume bits from Google.

Cella
04-02-2011, 12:14 AM
I asked a similar question earlier.
I think people have been collecting images from all over the net and using them. I particularly like the one at the top of the screen, though. Not sure about that one :)

Chris P
04-02-2011, 12:15 AM
I found mine image googling "steampunk monkey." It's from a coloring book by Chet Phillips.

I wanted to keep in the theme of my Ernie Kovacs gorilla. I came almost close.

MacAllister
04-02-2011, 12:17 AM
The banner in the header was build by Clockwork, a longtime mod and AW member. I was SO excited when he sent it to me, yesterday, because I think it's absolutely stunning, too.

Cella
04-02-2011, 12:18 AM
The banner in the header was build by Clockwork, a longtime mod and AW member. I was SO excited when he sent it to me, yesterday, because I think it's absolutely stunning, too.
it's too pretty to leave up for just one day ...

maxmordon
04-02-2011, 12:19 AM
My cyber-spatial parlor illustrated representation comes from the pictographic magic lantern spectacle known as The Venture Bros.

My former cyber-spatial representation was a rascally yet adorable Minion Twentieth-First who serves under the command of the ineffective mastermind who strikes under the appelative of The Monarch; so I considered appropiate to use their pastiche of strongman extraordinaire and example of Grecian ideal Eugen Sandow, who according to the amusing apocrypha of said work, was a superb personal protector and valet on the same vein than Mr. Brock Samson on a Victorian era not unlike the one represented on The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

LStein
04-02-2011, 12:22 AM
I have been wandering around the boards in a daze. What fun!

dgrintalis
04-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Cyia made mine and 'tis brilliant. 'Twill remain in place long after this day is done. :)

Maryn
04-02-2011, 01:03 AM
I got mine by googling steampunk woman. It's pretty amazing--and a perfect likeness in many respects.

Maryn, somewhat corroded

jaksen
04-02-2011, 01:17 AM
Mine is the door from the Nautilus, (or could be the door from the Nautilus.) There is a video on youtube showing how it works. The window at top is actually an iris-eye.

Goldenleaves
04-02-2011, 01:23 AM
I've been horribly busy lately, no time to get on - but SO glad I came on today to see all this fabulous stuff - :e2flowers
Love you all madly

firedrake
04-02-2011, 01:25 AM
i have no idea where my lovely new avatar came from, but it's dead cool.

I love that banner, it's stunning. I wouldn't mind seeing it stick around for a while.

mccardey
04-02-2011, 05:20 AM
Clockwork, that banner is delicious. And everyone else who worked on it, that was the best April Fools Day prank ever.

I'm going to be sad when it's over....

Jersey Chick
04-02-2011, 05:34 AM
I stole mine from a post Cyia made in another thread. :D

Smish
04-02-2011, 05:37 AM

Yep, it's amazing. He did such a great job.

nevada
04-02-2011, 05:41 AM
can we keep the steampunk forever and ever? it's absolutely gorgeous.

BenPanced
04-02-2011, 05:43 AM
I just looked up "steampunk rabbit" on GoodSearch, et viola!

Uncarved
04-02-2011, 05:44 AM
I too love Clockwork's banner, its breathtaking.

I found my avatar on deviantArt where all good things are. It continues my tinkerbell tradition (my human chained tink, bondage tink, crucified tink, caged tink, etc) and fits in the theme;) I loves it. I loves it hard.

cooeedownunder
04-02-2011, 05:59 AM
Mine just appeared. Someone obviously liked my suit and needed the lasso of truth.

Cyia
04-02-2011, 06:05 AM
Mine just appeared. Someone obviously liked my suit and needed the lasso of truth.

Actually, you're the beta tester for the new Wonder Woman costume. There've been a few issues with the others, so the producers decided to go with something a little more rugged.

Medievalist
04-02-2011, 06:05 AM
I too love Clockwork's banner, its breathtaking..

It really is gorgeous. And he's without Internet at present so go Rep him madly.

He has a post here (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5621376&postcount=5).

cryaegm
04-02-2011, 06:06 AM
I googled and found a Miku one. Was going to use Metropolis (anime), but wasn't sure if it was Steampunkish enough.

cooeedownunder
04-02-2011, 07:03 AM
Actually, you're the beta tester for the new Wonder Woman costume. There've been a few issues with the others, so the producers decided to go with something a little more rugged.

;)

Soccer Mom
04-02-2011, 07:23 AM
I found the bunny pic at Icanhascheeseburger.com and captioned it. I'm keeping Capn Cogg for a while. He's too cute.

Ambrosia
04-02-2011, 07:23 AM
Drats. I had actually gone out and found that for you only to come back and find you already had it.

clockwork
04-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Thank you so much for all the nice comments about the banner. Sorry I wasn't able to be here to join in the fun, but it looks like the day was a resounding success. All the avatars, usernames and creativity was very fun! Thanks again. :)

cray
04-02-2011, 04:38 PM
well done, sir.

MissMacchiato
04-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Lol, what a fun idea!

I missed all the excitement!

Jersey Chick
04-02-2011, 04:52 PM
The banner was amazing (I wish it could have stayed. :)) All in all, it was a tame April 1st, but a good one.

Cwm
04-03-2011, 12:59 AM
Thoroughly enjoyed being Steampunk'd ... what gorgeous visuals! Kudos to Clockwork and the other graphic artists responsible for the beautiful special effects.

Williebee
04-03-2011, 01:28 AM
I found mine image googling "steampunk monkey." It's from a coloring book by Chet Phillips.

I wanted to keep in the theme of my Ernie Kovacs gorilla. I came almost close.

Likewise, mine. Chet was kind enough to give permission for its use for the event. You'll find a link to more of his art (just coolness) in my sigline.

The current, cool, but not as cool one, is a chrome gorilla, by John Kearney, on display at Cedarhurst (http://www.cedarhurst.org/index.php?page=sculpture-park) Center for the Arts, in Southern Illinois. It's made from car bumpers.

MeretSeger
04-03-2011, 03:32 AM
Beautiful. I loved it and I miss it.

Alessandra Kelley
04-03-2011, 08:20 PM
The current, cool, but not as cool one, is a chrome gorilla, by John Kearney, on display at Cedarhurst (http://www.cedarhurst.org/index.php?page=sculpture-park) Center for the Arts, in Southern Illinois. It's made from car bumpers.

Eee! My sister has another of John Kearney's gorilla sculptures a few doors down from her house on the north side of Chicago, and we have a bighorn sheep a few blocks from mine in Hyde Park. I recognized his style right away.

I got mine by googling steampunk woman. It's pretty amazing--and a perfect likeness in many respects.

I looked it up, too -- it's great, but I wish the blogger who posted it gave credit to the artist. We have no idea who made it (which as a creator burns me up).

I'm glad everyone had so much fun with this year's theme.

DamaNegra
04-03-2011, 08:36 PM
I searched google for a vest, goggles and an appropriate background and put them on my usual Ewok using Gimp :) I had lots of fun doing it!

Soccer Mom
04-04-2011, 04:25 AM
Everyone who enjoyed the day needs to drop by this thread. http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5996113#post5996113

Sage
04-04-2011, 04:35 AM
I found mine by google imaging "steampunk" and "teen" or "young adult" (I can't remember which)

gothicangel
04-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Has anyone else had problems with font size since Friday? I feel like I'm reading a large print. :(

Cyia
04-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Has anyone else had problems with font size since Friday? I feel like I'm reading a large print. :(

Medi's working on it GA. Check the locked thread about font size.