PDA

View Full Version : What is this I don't even

FocusOnEnergy
04-01-2011, 10:47 AM
I was minding my own business, composing a post, and then I clicked submit.

And the world had changed.

Is this an alternate universe where things are almost the same, but not quite?

Focus

Kateness
04-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Yes

Izz
04-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Things are different? *squints at screen*

poetinahat
04-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Verily, consult your chronograph, and recalibrate your perceptions accordingly.

:)

FocusOnEnergy
04-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Most disturbing. This large type edition is more readable though.

That's better, finally a use for that cool steampunk image I found a while back.

I'm almost afraid to visit 4chan. Moot usually does something truly awful to us in celebration of International Trolling Day.

Focus

MeretSeger
04-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Quick! where's my corset?

Midnight doth altered the aspect...

MacAllister
04-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Happy April, AWers!

Kateness
04-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Happy April, AWers!

I want to lodge a formal protest against April 1.

Not at all because I'm intoxicated.

dpaterso
04-01-2011, 11:20 AM
If you can spell "intoxicated" then you're not drunk!

-Derek

cryaegm
04-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Most disturbing. This large type edition is more readable though.

That's better, finally a use for that cool steampunk image I found a while back.

I'm almost afraid to visit 4chan. Moot usually does something truly awful to us in celebration of International Trolling Day.

Focus
IMO, 4chan sucks.

Piece of dangerous gerbils place on the internet. They also love to stalk, e.g. Boxxy and Jessi Slaughter.

mccardey
04-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Not at all because I'm intoxicated.

Are you still going on about that???

10trackers
04-01-2011, 11:30 AM
I think it's pretty :heart:

Better than last year's, which I fell for hook, line and sinker :D

Izz
04-01-2011, 11:31 AM

Better than last year's, which I fell for hook, line and sinker :DOr is this just the first level of the dreamworld?

10trackers
04-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Or is this just the first level of the dreamworld?

:e2cry: Oh, no. Will I be pulled into a world of horrors that no woman has seen before? :e2bummed:

BRB, clearing my schedule. :D

mccardey
04-01-2011, 11:41 AM

What was last year? I wasn't here...

Medievalist
04-01-2011, 11:48 AM
IMO, 4chan sucks.

Piece of shit place on the internet. They also love to stalk, e.g. Boxxy and Jessi Slaughter.

Oh, sir, I say you speak too harsh, and all too unwittingly.

Have you no consideration for the pain you may cause those who wrangle and herd binary for sport? Have you no thought for the retaliation they may visit upon you and yours?

Nay sir, I think in such instances, a still tongue and a quiet mind are better proof of valor than to air such imprecations in the market.

cryaegm
04-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Oh, sir, I say you speak too harsh, and all to unwittingly.

Have you no consideration for the pain you may cause those who wrangle and herd binary for sport? Have you no thought for the retaliation they may visit upon you and yours?

Nay sir, I think in such instances, a still tongue and a quiet mind are better proof of valor than to air such imprecations in the market.
I could say lot more, but I'm not going to go that far. :tongue Just said it sucks. A lot of people have. It's the major people, like Gawker and one of their writers (Adrien Chen, I think), that they go after, or those that troll that place. They've tried to hack GameSpot a lot, but failed quite often. They've also tried rigging one of the contests that GameSpot had and got pissed when they rigged it right back.

Edit: I hope they don't mind being called dangerous gerbils. *Whistles.*

Edit II: D: Why are you using Comic Sans!?!

mccardey
04-01-2011, 11:53 AM
:e2cry: Oh, no. Will I be pulled into a world of horrors that no woman has seen before? :e2bummed:. :D
ew-aye.... that sounds like fun! Can I come too?

Dr.Gonzo
04-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Time for an intermission.

Medievalist
04-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Edit: I hope they don't mind being called dangerous gerbils. *Whistles.*

Edit II: D: Why are you using Comic Sans!?!

Sir do bear in mind that should harm fall to this site, I shall challenge you to pistols at dawn.

Regarding your other question, though I find it an impertinence, I shall stoop in as much as to say—'tis tradition (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=178).

cryaegm
04-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Sir do bear in mind that should harm fall to this site, I shall challenge you to pistols at dawn.

Regarding you other question, though I find it an impertinence, I shall stoop in as much as to sayŚ'tis tradition (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=178).
Ohh. Well, if it's just for a day, then I guess I should keep my mouth shut and suck it up. ._.

mccardey
04-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Ohh. Well, if it's just for a day, then I guess I should keep my mouth shut and suck it up. ._.

Well, yeah. Because of the pistols.:tongue

Medievalist
04-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Well, yeah. Because of the pistols.:tongue

I should perhaps note that I cannot spot the Ace of Spades at more than ten paces, whilst wearing my spectacles; in truth, it would be most unwise for anyone to confront me whilst armed, with our without my optical aid.

Chukkie
04-01-2011, 12:35 PM
I'm a newbie. I hope this is an April Fool or I'm dead.

MacAllister
04-01-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm a newbie. I hope this is an April Fool or I'm dead.

You'll find an explanation (http://absolutewrite.com/aw-april-fools-day/) here, Chukkie.

timp67
04-01-2011, 01:00 PM
It's esoteric!

Sydneyd
04-01-2011, 01:32 PM
I like it! Viva la revolution!

Netz
04-01-2011, 02:02 PM

What was last year's? (And any other previous years?)

Izz
04-01-2011, 02:32 PM
What was last year's? (And any other previous years?)This should provide you with plenty of explanation (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=178).

Terie
04-01-2011, 02:35 PM
This should provide you with plenty of explanation (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=178).

Oh yeah! That one was sooooooo funny! Or, well, it was once you remembered the date. Quite a few folks freaked. But it was sooooooo funny!

Also? I was online and posting while they were testing the look-of-the-day, and it was quite amusing to see the formatting change everytime I clicked to something else.

Netz
04-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Thanks, Izz. Looks like the Twilight theme was a blast (haven't been able to work out what last year's actual theme was though!).

Izz
04-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Thanks, Izz. Looks like the Twilight theme was a blast (haven't been able to work out what last year's actual theme was though!).No theme, as far as i can recall. Just treacherous trickery. The stickied thread in the archive was the one.

cptwentworth
04-01-2011, 03:15 PM
I've been up with a sick kid all night, and I was going to go back to bed, but I think I'll stick around and join the frivolities. I am enjoying this immensely. :)

10trackers
04-01-2011, 03:16 PM
What was last year's? (And any other previous years?)

The Tiered Memberships. *shudder*

I think I still have the email I sent Lori lying around somewhere :ROFL:

Netz
04-01-2011, 03:21 PM
The Tiered Memberships looks just plain evil. :evil (Glad I wasn't around for that, lol!)

brad_b
04-01-2011, 04:25 PM
*Sometimes it's just best to go to work and hope things stabilize.*

entropic island
04-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Or is this just the first level of the dreamworld?

WE NEED TO GO DEEPER

10trackers
04-01-2011, 04:53 PM
WE NEED TO GO DEEPER

That's what she said.

:gone:

jaksen
04-01-2011, 04:58 PM
omg I've opened the door to new, steampunkered possibilities...

Alessandra Kelley
04-01-2011, 05:28 PM
I love the look! Did everybody just change their avatars? I got the impression some people got new ones assigned to them. When I saw today's theme, I changed mine ... but some people are surprised by theirs?

Puma
04-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Can I say how much I HATE April Fool's Day - every year. Good day to stay away from AW. (I really feel sorry for the newcomers who hit this day in their first week of being here.) The oversized type is very annoying. Yes, I'm an old stick in the mud. Puma

Ari Meermans
04-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Can I say how much I HATE April Fool's Day - every year. Good day to stay away from AW. (I really feel sorry for the newcomers who hit this day in their first week of being here.) The oversized type is very annoying. Yes, I'm an old stick in the mud. Puma

Yeah, I hate being a stick-in-the-mud. I really do; but, this oversized type is really hurting my old eyes. Catch you guys, tomorrow.

jvc
04-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Yep, this special day isn't for everyone. But it's a lot of fun and only happens once a year. And compared to years gone past, this time it's pretty tame. Although I keep getting lost.

I love the look! Did everybody just change their avatars? I got the impression some people got new ones assigned to them. When I saw today's theme, I changed mine ... but some people are surprised by theirs?
I was more than a little surprised by my avatar change (the first one, which was just nasty and horrid and sparkly), then it got changed (not by me) to this one. Which is much better than a sparkly pink thing if you ask me. ;)

Mara
04-01-2011, 08:23 PM
I don't really have time to check everything today, but this stuff is hilarious. Is there any way to preserve this look so I can at least read the forum names later? I love them. :) Especially the QLTBAG naming. (Still not as good as "Fun with the Alphabet," though. :))

bettielee
04-01-2011, 08:28 PM

I luv me some april fool's day!

*basks*

Medievalist
04-01-2011, 08:58 PM

There are many buttons and I'm easily confused.

Medievalist
04-01-2011, 09:04 PM
I was more than a little surprised by my avatar change (the first one, which was just nasty and horrid and sparkly), then it got changed (not by me) to this one. Which is much better than a sparkly pink thing if you ask me. ;)

Well, sir, perhaps on future occasions you will refrain from mocking the aged and infirm (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5946966&postcount=13).

Were you aware that it is possible to make a particular avatar unchangeable?

jvc
04-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Well, sir, perhaps on future occasions you will refrain from mocking the aged and infirm (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5946966&postcount=13).

Were you aware that it is possible to make a particular avatar unchangeable?
:scared: Me izz very sowwy :e2flowers

Collectonian
04-01-2011, 09:20 PM

You and me both. If I'd realized AW joined in this sort of silliness, I'd have just not logged into the site at all today. I'm so glad other forums don't pull this mess. Ugh. And now that I have logged in, I have to hunt around for the threads I'm interested in because they will get auto-marked as read in 45 minutes whether I like it or not.

Should be a way to opt out of this.

bettielee
04-01-2011, 09:32 PM
I don't get all the hate.

It's one day people.

One day of fun and steampunk. Loosen your corset and your cravat and get crazy!

muse
04-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Ooooh, love the new look (once I got over the shock. :D)

Happy April Fools, folks. :partyguy:

cptwentworth
04-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Fo, fie, naysayers! Be gone.

I, for one, am enjoying myself immensely. :Jump:

jvc
04-01-2011, 10:16 PM
It's a fun day. You just have to loosen up and go with the flow. Never trust anything serious that is said on this day; it'll always be an April Fools. But it's one day out of 365, and, although not for everyone, it still brings a lot of fun and goofing for a lot of members here. And the majority know what to expect by now and are happy to play along.

So, only a few more hours left. Sit back, try to enjoy, and pour yourself a nice glass of Baileys :e2drunk:

Medievalist
04-01-2011, 10:17 PM
AWA, I find your eye-flippy avatar uniquely disturbing.

*shudder*

I must confess that it has a certain realism to its behavior that my own ocular equipment shares.

Vespertilion
04-01-2011, 10:20 PM
I had no idea it was April until I opened AW today.

O_o

Then I laaaaaughed.

:)

Alessandra Kelley
04-02-2011, 12:01 AM
And it is fun, and it is only for one day.

And it encouraged me to play a little with my avatar -- I appreciate the impetus.

And a lot of people do seem to be having real fun with their avatars, and the imagery is quite beautiful.

MeretSeger
04-02-2011, 02:29 AM
I just wanted to say thank you. This made my day.

(and for those duelling, please remember that steampunks can only be slain with oiled brass bullets. And aim above the leather map-printed corset. More effective.)

Terie
04-02-2011, 01:10 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday's fun. A day of double-scrolling to see anything and having a hard time reading was no problem, mixed in with all the other amusing stuff.

But despite everything else being back to 'normal', the font isn't, and it's still too big for me. I've been trying to change my browser settings to force the font back to what it was, but no luck so far. I can't figure out what the old font style and size was.

Can anyone help?

dpaterso
04-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Just asking, does Ctrl-minus do anything for you? (Makes the current fonts one point smaller. Ctrl-plus makes 'em larger. Ctrl-zero resets font size.)

-Derek

Terie
04-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Just asking, does Ctrl-minus do anything for you? (Makes the current fonts one point smaller. Ctrl-plus makes 'em larger. Ctrl-zero resets font size.)

-Derek

I did that to start with, but the current font style ends up either too big or too small for me.

EDIT: Turns out that using Ctrl + the mouse wheel eventually found the right size, whereas changing the font using the View>Text Size options didn't. Or maybe I did something wonky. At any rate, this works fine and is easy to change back when I go elsewhere.

Please note I'm not asking admin to make changes to accommodate me. I'd just like to know what the old settings were so I can deal with this locally. :) It seems that I have exceptionally weird eyes when it comes to online reading comfort. For example, a few years ago when we got new computers at work, the 19-inch monitor I got was nearly impossible for me to work on. Luckily, a colleague got 'stuck' with a 17-inch monitor, so we traded.

dpaterso
04-02-2011, 09:30 PM
As mentioned in the other thread, (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209721) problem noted, no doubt it'll be fixed (or whatever action's appropriate) once Mac or Lisa check in.

-Derek

AW Admin
04-02-2011, 10:12 PM
I did that to start with, but the current font style ends up either too big or too small for me.

EDIT: Turns out that using Ctrl + the mouse wheel eventually found the right size, whereas changing the font using the View>Text Size options didn't. Or maybe I did something wonky. At any rate, this works fine and is easy to change back when I go elsewhere.

Mac is attempting to make it easier for visually disabled members; essentially, you now have control over the size of the type to an extent that most people didn't.

She's still tweaking the typography, and working out the kinks; thanks for your patience.