The Borgias

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Showtime has done it again--at least for me. The Borgias' premiere episode was Sunday night and I'm hooked enough to give the series a chance. There's something so deliciously evil about Jeremy Irons as the manipulative Borgia pope, Alexander VI, and the casting looks to be divine. I'll be interested to see how they develop the plot in coordination with the history, and the usual Showtime predeliction toward sex and violence, while in place, works well with the subject matter. Sets, costumes, locations--all gorgeously done with meticulous attention to detail.

If you loved The Tudors, you'll love The Borgias too IMO. Anyone else see it and have an opinion?

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I don't even have time to catch up on current faves, much less start in on new ones. Someday.

On the plus side, I've just about finished the ms for my MG book.

But here's a review by Tim Goodman, (Who used to write for the SF Chronicle) whom I consider to be the best TV critic around.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/borgias-172418

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've only seen the previews and they're making me debate getting Showtime

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the wrong country to see this, but I've always liked history and historic TV or movies. Sounds like it's well worth watching.

Jeremy Irons is a great actor and used to be my wife's idol before she discovered Nicolas Cage and saw him fall into his current rut. Maybe it's time to rehabilitate Jeremy.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes i watched it last night and i'm soooo excited to see what's to come. Looks like its going to be an awesome show!!!

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
Lots of fun. Not exactly good but the cinematic equivalent of a gooey, overdone ice cream sundae. Did a bit of research and in some ways quite accurate. Except Rodrigo Borgia was actually quite...well...fat. When he died they had serious problems getting him inside the coffin (and his body was decaying at a rapid rate as well).

Incidentally, Colm Feore's character eventually becomes Pope Julius II.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
I watched the leaked ep when it was leaked 3 weeks ago. I love :p want the second ep though.

maggi90w1

CAVE!
Registered
Reaction score
I tried it, but I turned it off after 45 min. I loved the Tudors, but I don't think this is for me. Italian history isn't my thing.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Very good show, with a great sense of the time period...

The original Crime Family indeed...

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
Micheletto the assassin is going to be one of my favorite TV characters of all time, I can just tell. He's destined to be the next Omar Little!

Last edited:

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
I didn't care for the Tudors but I really enjoyed the Borgias ep. I'm looking forward to more :)

I've always been interested in this family, deliciously villainous in every way!