PDA

View Full Version : The Borgias

mscelina
04-01-2011, 07:57 AM
Showtime has done it again--at least for me. The Borgias' premiere episode was Sunday night and I'm hooked enough to give the series a chance. There's something so deliciously evil about Jeremy Irons as the manipulative Borgia pope, Alexander VI, and the casting looks to be divine. I'll be interested to see how they develop the plot in coordination with the history, and the usual Showtime predeliction toward sex and violence, while in place, works well with the subject matter. Sets, costumes, locations--all gorgeously done with meticulous attention to detail.

If you loved The Tudors, you'll love The Borgias too IMO. Anyone else see it and have an opinion?

rugcat
04-01-2011, 09:15 AM
I don't even have time to catch up on current faves, much less start in on new ones. Someday.

On the plus side, I've just about finished the ms for my MG book.

But here's a review by Tim Goodman, (Who used to write for the SF Chronicle) whom I consider to be the best TV critic around.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/borgias-172418

regdog
04-01-2011, 03:37 PM
I've only seen the previews and they're making me debate getting Showtime

Enzo
04-04-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm in the wrong country to see this, but I've always liked history and historic TV or movies. Sounds like it's well worth watching.

Jeremy Irons is a great actor and used to be my wife's idol before she discovered Nicolas Cage and saw him fall into his current rut. Maybe it's time to rehabilitate Jeremy.

amlptj
04-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Oh yes i watched it last night and i'm soooo excited to see what's to come. Looks like its going to be an awesome show!!!

Calla Lily
04-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Very lush. Great acting. Sets are fantastic. I'll stick with this for awhile.

DavidZahir
04-05-2011, 02:28 AM
Lots of fun. Not exactly good but the cinematic equivalent of a gooey, overdone ice cream sundae. Did a bit of research and in some ways quite accurate. Except Rodrigo Borgia was actually quite...well...fat. When he died they had serious problems getting him inside the coffin (and his body was decaying at a rapid rate as well).

Incidentally, Colm Feore's character eventually becomes Pope Julius II.

jmarkbyrnes
04-05-2011, 03:29 AM
I loved the Tudors, so I'm sure I love this one as well.

-J. Mark Byrnes

fireluxlou
04-05-2011, 03:40 AM
I watched the leaked ep when it was leaked 3 weeks ago. I love :P want the second ep though.

maggi90w1
04-07-2011, 03:01 AM
I tried it, but I turned it off after 45 min. I loved the Tudors, but I don't think this is for me. Italian history isn't my thing.

thothguard51
04-07-2011, 03:05 AM
Very good show, with a great sense of the time period...

The original Crime Family indeed...

third person
04-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Micheletto the assassin is going to be one of my favorite TV characters of all time, I can just tell. He's destined to be the next Omar Little!

Thump
04-08-2011, 01:11 PM
I didn't care for the Tudors but I really enjoyed the Borgias ep. I'm looking forward to more :)

I've always been interested in this family, deliciously villainous in every way!