Strangulation

Ambri

Plotting something
Registered
Reaction score
Second star to the right, straight on till evening
So, the evil wife is murdered in my WIP, and I'm thinking the villain strangled her. I'm wondering whether it would be possible for the villain to take hold of an opera-length (long) strand of pearls she's wearing, twist it tight, and strangle her with that. Is that physically possible? Would the necklace be likely to break under the pressure? I was also thinking it could be long strand of rubies or diamonds or such, as faceted stones would feasibly leave gouge marks in her skin. The setting is 1817 London, if that makes a difference.

Graz

Registered
Reaction score
1817 would of been silk stranded, silk is very strong

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think any normal necklace could survive that. It may be silk but it's a thin string. My vote is no chance in hell.

Ambri

Plotting something
Registered
Reaction score
Second star to the right, straight on till evening
Whoops, I forgot about this thread :p Thanks for the replies. Do you think a silf scarf would hold up under that sort of pressure? I'm thinking that might be a better bet. Or maybe I could have the murderer strangle her with his bare hands, and she's wearing a necklace, so there are gouges from the faceted stones biting into her neck?

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Silk scarf works. I'm sure it's been used for that purpose in the past.

Barehand works but he has to be big and strong.

Graz

Registered
Reaction score
He garrotes using an object put inside the strands of pearls and twists, the strand breaks and the pearls clink to the ground. She runs, will she get away? He slips on the loose pearls and grabs the ankle of his victim. Then he uses his hands, a scarf whatever.

Last edited:

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
My brother gave me a bead necklace for my 21st birthday. The beads are 1920'a glass beads and he had them restrung for me. The thread used is linen and he paid to have the string knotted. That is between each bead is a knot - so if the thread breaks the beads do not all get lost. The knots also make the string stronger. Pearls would be strung in the same way. Although it might seem feasible I do not think they would be a choice for strangulation - it would hurt the perpetrators hands to hold them and apply the amount of pressure needed to choke someone. Their hands would also have marks on them from grasping the beads. Don't stranglers wrap what they are going to use around their hands to gain extra purchase? Doing that with a string of pearls would mark their hands all the way round. I'd go for a silk scarf or a nice piece of rope.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Don't forget the weakest point - the clasp. Even if the string doesn't break, odds are the clasp will.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
A garrote is your best bet. It only takes one hand and can be easily concealed. A silk scarf would work because it won't rip easily.

(I'm fairly certain Sherlock Holmes solved a death-by-pearls murder once, btw.)

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
A garrote is your best bet. It only takes one hand and can be easily concealed. A silk scarf would work because it won't rip easily.

(I'm fairly certain Sherlock Holmes solved a death-by-pearls murder once, btw.)

Would that be the Adventure of the Six Napoleons? About a stolen pearl.