Using stock images for ebook covers

ElisabethF

Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing some research on creating ebooks, and I'm wondering if anybody here can give me a good beginner's overview of using stock images for ebook covers. I've been reading the licensing agreements on a few stock photo sites and trying to make sense of them. For instance, the terms here. It says the images may be used for book covers...and further down, it says if the image is used for printed materials it may only be used on up to 500,000 copies. Now, I'm not saying I expect anything of mine to sell 500,000 copies right off...but we want to be prepared for any contingency, right? :) Does 'printed materials' mean a physical, hold-in-your-hand printed product, or does it apply to ebooks as well? I don't see how you could have control over how many copies you sell.

Anything else you could tell me about this whole concept would be helpful. I'm very much a beginner and I don't want to make any embarassing mistakes.

jnfr

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jnfr.com
I don't know that such a clause would worry me. If you ever sell 500,000 copies, you could surely afford a new cover in there somewhere :) You might take a look at CanStock Photos. They have nice work and don't put any limit on usage. Or try a free site like MorgueFiles.

ElisabethF

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a bad habit of asking questions on forums and then finding the answer out for myself. :) I contacted the website linked above, and they said that using an image in an ebook is considered electronic use, which doesn't have limits on the number of copies.

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
I took a look at that site, downloaded 3 free images, but they are all tiny. Is there some way of making them bigger?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Buying a license or a set number of downloads. Many stock photo services offer free spec downloads but they're going to be lower resolution and/or much smaller than the available products.

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com
I took a look at that site, downloaded 3 free images, but they are all tiny. Is there some way of making them bigger?

Well, I'm not sure what type of images you got, or what exactly the resolution is on an e-reader - but have you tried making the image bigger via photoshop or something?

jnfr

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jnfr.com
If you want larger or higher resolution images, you will have to pay at least a few dollars for them. You can buy inexpensive stock photos at lots of sites. Turning them into a decent cover is another issue.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't quite understand the way these stock image sites work. What if 2 or more users request the same image? Would the site sell it to them both?

Yes.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
The graphic artist working on my covers had me cruise through http://www.istockphoto.com/ for photos to use as a basis for the illustrations.

I ended up buying three, a male model, female model, and a sword. Total cost was about $40. There are no royalties to worry about, no fine print, nothing. Just cash for images, and done.

deana

Greetings Programs!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zhollis.com
I use Gimp to resize my photos. It's a free software. Maybe it could help resize your image for you. It's pretty good with resizing and keeping the images still looking like the original. I'm not quite sure how "big" it can make for a "tiny" picture. How "tiny" is "tiny"?

I'm going to use stock photo's for my Novel Trailer, and it has to be the 800x600 size. But using an entire photo for a book cover, you will have to pay for a bigger size for most sites.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
You can make very different covers based on the same stock. As a small press author I understand why my publishers do not pay $500 and up for unique images.

Come to think of it, neither do many of the major publishers.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
The mistake most people make is only buying ONE photo for the cover then just slapping text over it. I can spot stock art a mile away on Amazon. If you have the Photoshop chops buy multiple pieces and combine/crop/color correct.

That said, I ADORE stock art! A lot of it very nice and varied! There are a ton of possibilities. Fork over for the flourishes :) frames and borders and such.

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
I use Gimp to resize my photos. It's a free software. Maybe it could help resize your image for you. It's pretty good with resizing and keeping the images still looking like the original. I'm not quite sure how "big" it can make for a "tiny" picture. How "tiny" is "tiny"?

Hi deana. I'm now the proud owner of Gimp 2. I've spent a couple of hours reading the user manual, but can't make heads or tails of it. It seems to have a whole language all of its own: layers, channels, dialogs, docks, tabs, etc., etc. I'm hoping my son might know someone who's used it.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
the thing with stock images are that they can result in several books having pretty much identical covers:

DeBeproeving.jpg

images

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
They can, and a designer would be wise not to use the stock as it is sold. As mentioned most designers know how to crop, combine and manipulate the shots enough to ensure there won't be any near duplicate covers.

s.m.s

Registered
Reaction score
Hi deana. I'm now the proud owner of Gimp 2. I've spent a couple of hours reading the user manual, but can't make heads or tails of it. It seems to have a whole language all of its own: layers, channels, dialogs, docks, tabs, etc., etc. I'm hoping my son might know someone who's used it.

Have you tried Paint.Net instead of Gimp? I've tried both and find Paint.Net to be much more user friendly, although its possible that Gimp is the more powerful program. Still, if you're new to photo editing you might want to start with Paint.Net anyway.

jnfr

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jnfr.com
I finally went with PhotoPlus after my old version of Paint Shop Pro kept crapping out in Windows 7. I loved that program and still mourn it.

Deleted member 42

Ugly. Make your own covers, people :)

The thing is, with most stock photo licenses (check to be sure) you can use the images to create new images; you might, for instance, only actually use part of the image.

A graphic artist can do amazing things. Truly, a good one is performing magic. I've seen covers--for print products as well as digital--that I couldn't actually tell how it was done.