I'm the worst daughter ever!

Victoria

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I was supposed to take my family to my mother's house last night for chicken and dumplings, and I FORGOT!!!!! My phone was on silent for some reason, and I missed her calls. I just remembered and called her, said I was soooo sorry, and then I started bawling. We're going tonight, but I feel so awful. She worked so hard, she's 74, and I can just see her waiting, looking at the clock with the table all set...God, I want to jump in front of a bus! Please give me some ideas of how I can make it up to her. She's all I had growing up, and I feel like I shit on her. HELP!:cry:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! I want to hug you both. Chicken and dumplings, even? Y'all adopt me :D

You're lucky to have her, and she's lucky to have you appreciate it so. Really :) I love that you bawled. Awwww! She knows you're sorry, I'm sure.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Cadbury creme eggs and baileys.

And give yourself a break. We all forget sometimes, it's all part of the wonderful world of life. She's your Mom, she loves you, and she understands. :)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
What does she love (aside from you :))? Take her shopping, out to dinner, for a drive through the countryside. Whatever she's into, spend some time doing it with her. I'm sure she knows you're sorry. We all screw up.

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
oh that would feel bad. Sometime i just schedule things with my mom even if i don't need to do them just because i know she wants some time together. like going to the mall or getting our hair done or trying the crab cakes at a resaturaunt.

also just stopping by or inviting her over is nice.

good luck. she won't be mad but might be very hurt even though she know is was a mistake. it's not easy to know you kid just forgot about you.

good luck!

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
:e2flowersFlowers.

:Hug2: And a hug.

Add some extra play dates.

And let her laugh it off if that's her way (ask what vitamins she takes) - no point letting it drag on!
:D

Last edited:

Niti Newtfinger

Registered
Reaction score
Eek! I did something similar once. She knows you love her, and it was an accident. Accidents happen, and you've already beat yourself up over it. I guess all you can do now is make it up to her by doing something else together. And this time, don't forget. :)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awwww.... speaking as a mother of one of the worst daughters ever (no, not really) - she knows what you're like, she knows you love her to bits. She's got a whole lifetime of you to stack one missed dinner against.

I'll bet you feel worse about it than she does...

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Awww, Honey, you feel much worse than she does. Don't beat yourself up anymore than you already have.

Seriously, it's not like you forgot to attend the surprise birthday party for her which you planned and for which you were supposed to bring the cake. *ahem*

Victoria

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, you guys are making me cry again. Thank you so much for all the support and suggestions. She loves to go antiquing, so I'll arrange an entire day, shopping, lunch, and lots of laughing. You all are great. Thanks again.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Laughing at all the pm's and the rep point. No, not me...mah youngun. She forgot to tell her dad and when folks started trooping up to our door, hilarity ensued. I'm just glad I was presentable. I don't think her brothers have let her live that one down.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Something similar happened to me recently, but it was my mother who'd forgotten about our lunch date. She's usually punctual, so I started to worry when she she was thirty minutes late. I called her and asked where she was.

She said, "I'm at Red Lobster with your sisters."

I was silent for a moment, and she said, "Are you okay?"

"Oh, I'm fine."

"Why did call?"

"No reason. Just wanted to see what you were up to."

"I have to go. Our salads are coming. I'll call you later."

I stood in the kitchen staring at the food I'd prepared, feeling low and no longer hungry.

We laugh about her memory lapse now, but it wasn't funny to me at the time.

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, you guys are making me cry again. Thank you so much for all the support and suggestions. She loves to go antiquing, so I'll arrange an entire day, shopping, lunch, and lots of laughing. You all are great. Thanks again.

That should be perfect, but don't tell her you're only doing it to apologize, but to make up the time. an i'm sorry day isn't as sweet as a i'm sad i missed the time with you.

Also, she was supposed to see your kids, too right? grams love the kiddies!

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Something similar happened to me recently, but it was my mother who'd forgotten about our lunch date. She's usually punctual, so I started to worry when she she was thirty minutes late. I called her and asked where she was.

She said, "I'm at Red Lobster with your sisters."

I was silent for a moment, and she said, "Are you okay?"

"Oh, I'm fine."

"Why did call?"

"No reason. Just wanted to see what you were up to."

"I have to go. Our salads are coming. I'll call you later."

I stood in the kitchen staring at the food I'd prepared, feeling low and no longer hungry.

We laugh about her memory lapse now, but it wasn't funny to me at the time.
Awwww, SK:Hug2:

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did you need some one to tell you how much you suck? And these are what pre senior moments are made of.

Feeling terrible is considered time served in this situation.

Don't do it again!

(((HUG)))

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Victoria, remember this day when your kids do it to you, sometime down the road. Then you'll realize just how forgiving your mom really was. And you'll be the same way to them. :)

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I meant to hug Victoria, too :Hug2:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sure. Leave the Chihuey out.

Um - you know that a Chihuey is just something you hug if you don't have a Cavalier King Charles spaniel. I mean - you know that, right?

< ----

Just sayin'...

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Haggis, you dog ;)

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Victoria, it's not true. The worst daughter ever would make up some lame excuse to avoid responsibility. You made a mistake. You faced up to it. That makes you an honest, caring daughter. And believe it or not, you set a good example for your children.