PDA

View Full Version : Best TV Medical Drama

CaroGirl
03-31-2011, 09:32 PM
What's your favourite TV medical drama? Vote STAT! It's what all the cool kids are doing.

alleycat
03-31-2011, 09:36 PM
If vets count, it would be All Creatures Great and Small.

Otherwise, maybe St. Elsewhere. Maybe. It had its moments that I thought made for better than average TV.

CaroGirl
03-31-2011, 09:39 PM
I adore House but I'm going with St. Elsewhere. In its day, it was hands down the BEST show on television. Ground breaking and gritty. Just great TV.

firedrake
03-31-2011, 09:39 PM
ER for me. Although the last couple of seasons didn't do much for me. But, for most of it's running time, I think it was the best by a long chalk.

I tried watching Gray's Anatomy but I found it too wangsty and the MC got on my last nerve. She was very self-absorbed IMO.

Kitty Pryde
03-31-2011, 09:45 PM
Nope, it's gotta be Scrubs. Although it's funny, and influenced by sitcoms, I think it's much more of a drama than a sitcom. Did you see when they turned into a sitcom for one episode? Hilarity.

alleycat
03-31-2011, 09:52 PM
I adore House but I'm going with St. Elsewhere. In its day, it was hands down the BEST show on television. Ground breaking and gritty. Just great TV.
I commented before you'd gotten the poll up. I voted for St. Elsewhere in the poll.

Pyekett
03-31-2011, 10:11 PM
M*A*S*H is my personal favorite. Honorable mention goes to the UK's Doc Martin (http://www.itv.com/Drama/contemporary/DocMartin/default.html), and you sparked a twinge of nostalgia for Northern Exposure. The latter had less focus on the medicine, but the portrayal of it in a small Northern community was priceless. The cultural rough spots rang true.

---

Added: St. Elsewhere was a heck of a show.

firedrake
03-31-2011, 10:14 PM
M*A*S*H is my personal favorite. Honorable mention goes to the UK's Doc Martin (http://www.itv.com/Drama/contemporary/DocMartin/default.html), and you sparked a twinge of nostalgia for Northern Exposure. The latter had less focus on the medicine, but the portrayal of it in a small Northern community was priceless. The cultural rough spots rang true.

---

Added: St. Elsewhere was a heck of a show.

oooh, Doc Martin! I'm ashamed to say I'd forgotten about that. It's brilliant!

Pyekett
03-31-2011, 10:16 PM
Yeah. My kind of crabby.

CaroGirl
03-31-2011, 10:49 PM
ER for me. Although the last couple of seasons didn't do much for me. But, for most of it's running time, I think it was the best by a long chalk.

I loved ER for the first several seasons but, in my opinion, it went on too long (much like M*A*S*H). It lost its lustre in taking itself too seriously, introducing too much angst and melodrama. St. Elsewhere ran for only 8 season (sadly) and didn't have the opportunity to get stale.

robeiae
04-01-2011, 12:52 AM
M*A*S*H is a comedy...or at least it was when it was good, imo.

My favorite medical-type drama was Marcus Welby. If we go with comedy-dramas, I guess M*A*S*H would fit. I like Northern Exposure, too.

And what, no love for Doogie?!?!

jvc
04-01-2011, 12:55 AM
M*A*S*H, Scrubs and ER are all brilliant. However, I voted for House. Simply the best.

Jersey Chick
04-01-2011, 01:09 AM
Much as I love M*A*S*H, ER is my favorite. Last summer, my mom went into the hospital and I was explaining some of the hows and whys of what they were doing to her. One of her nurses asked me if I was also a nurse and I kind of sheepishly explained that no, I'm not, but everything I learned was from watching ER. I felt kind of silly admitting it, but apparently I knew what I was talking about. :D

ChaosTitan
04-01-2011, 01:47 AM
For me, MASH is in a class by itself. It wasn't a drama, but it was so much more than a comedy. And it's one of the best shows EVER. :D

But for the poll, I'm torn between St. Elsewhere and ER. Both have a special place in my heart and were just amazing shows, for different reasons.

robeiae
04-01-2011, 02:19 AM
For me, MASH is in a class by itself. It wasn't a drama, but it was so much more than a comedy. And it's one of the best shows EVER. :D
Agree...until the last couple of seasons, anyway.

scarletpeaches
04-01-2011, 02:22 AM
Pigs in Space.

Magdalen
04-01-2011, 03:28 AM
Had to vote M*A*S*H since I watched it for many, many, many years and then some. Although I agree it doesn't really fit the category, since it really was a "dramedy".

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
04-01-2011, 05:02 AM
You're all nuts. General Hospital wins hands down. Which of those other shows can boast a star of the caliber of Liz Taylor among their cast?

SirOtter
04-01-2011, 06:43 AM
What, no Ben Casey? No Medic, with Richard Boone? Not even Dr. Kildare? I'm surrounded by phillistines. St. Elsewhere by default.

Satori1977
04-01-2011, 07:13 AM
I love a good medical drama. Some of my fave shows are medical shows (also watch a lot of documentary style shows on Discovery channel). I like Grey's Anatomy, but it is more of a soap most days.

Hands down ER was the best medical show I have watched. Great characters, believable relationships (no bed hopping with every other character) and amazing medical storylines too. Yes, some eps were over the top, but it is tv.

third person
04-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. OK, not really :P

maestrowork
04-01-2011, 09:37 PM
I loved the first few seasons of ER. Best drama. Then it just went downhill once the first few original actors left the show. I think after Anthony Edwards left, the show just went from good to not so good....

CaroGirl
04-01-2011, 09:39 PM
I loved the first few seasons of ER. Best drama. Then it just went downhill once the first few original actors left the show. I think after Anthony Edwards left, the show just went from good to not so good....

Did you vote for it anyway, Ray, or did you pick something else?

I'm surprised and delighted St. Elsewhere is winning!!

darkprincealain
04-01-2011, 09:39 PM
I haven't watched one since Chicago Hope was cancelled. And probably won't until they put something similar back on the air.

schadenfreude
04-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Personally? House.

But what is with all these polls? I feel like I'm on Facebook.

zahra
04-02-2011, 11:57 PM
St Elsewhere, for me. Though I did love Chicago Hope, too.

In UK, had to be Harley Street. (Kidding!)

dragonjax
04-03-2011, 05:55 AM
What? No Doogie Howser?

:D

Alpha Echo
04-03-2011, 06:04 AM
Ok, so currently, I'm in love with Grey's Anatomy, but for actual medical drama, I have to go with ER. I was fan throughout the entire series. I ran home (okay, drove home) from my ballet pointe class as fast as I could every Thursday to hit the whole line up from Friends through ER.

Alpha Echo
04-03-2011, 06:14 AM
What? No Doogie Howser?

:D

Oh man. Haha! I watched that! I liked Edie...that was his best friend's name, right?