Status
Not open for further replies.

nancy sv

30 months on a bicycle...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
I've been reading for so long that Lulu was the best and easiest to use for a self-pubbed book, but now I'm seeing a lot about CreateSpace. I can certainly see the advantages of using CreateSpace as it'll automatically go on to Amazon, but don't really know.

So - what do you think? Which should we go with?

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lulu will get on Amazon too but it will take longer. I used Lulu, but I created my stuff before Amazon took over Createspace. Lulu is really easy. I’d love to hear how Creatspace is now.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
For whatever it is worth, after years of using Lulu, I have come to the realization that I cannot afford its prices any more -- not for new projects. Shipping is extortionate, for one thing, and the per-book price is so much higher than Createspace's (esp. with the Pro Plan discount) as to make the choice of Createspace a no-brainer.

I am working on my first project through Createspace, and should know more in a few months, when/if that comes to fruition. For now, though, Lulu is just too expensive for what will be about a 420-page book.

I'm used to Lulu's system, and not eager to change, but dollars talk. Once I have my first project with Createspace done and published, I suspect I'll not look back.

--Ken

donatos

Registered
Reaction score
I just published a slim volume of poetry with Createspace. I had tried Lulu before that with the same volume, not publishing it twice, but going through the rounds of the set up with Lulu and then changing my mind and erasing my work when I saw the book. So here's how I compare.

I chose Createspace because of Amazon connection, and being guaranteed virtual shelf space on Amazon I don't have to pay for. I'm happy with my book but it didn't offer me the option for writing on the spine which Lulu did. Even though it is a slim volume this should have been offered. While doing my setup on Createspace it never offered me a view of my work and so I had to keep ordering proofs until I got it just right. On Lulu you get to see your work. Though I am happy with my Createspace book I feel I could have gotten it a little tighter had I used Lulu.

Another thing I have to do is give credit to Amazon for being able to let me keep prices low. 12.98 for a volume. The lulu book was much higher priced.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
When we punched in a few numbers, it looked like CreateSpace was going to be more expensive, but maybe we didn't do it right??? How much a difference are you finding between the two?
Looking only at book prices. 100 copies, 369-page 6x9" paperback:

Createspace $519 (with Pro Plan, which requires a upfront $39 fee and then $5 annually, for each Pro Plan title) and standard shipping $43

Createspace $874 without Pro Plan.

If you are spreading the Pro Plan fee over hundred or hundreds of books, it is a bargain.

Lulu $950 and cheapest shipping a LOT more than Createspace (cheapest is $87.49).

Per book price is same for quantity one for Createspace, but more for Lulu ($11.88 -- and again with ridiculous shipping cost).

Seems like an easy choice.

I have not compared charges for things like interior formatting or cover design because I do my own, and the do-it-yourself option is free for both.

--Ken

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Remember that the lulu cost is for publishing on lulu -- but most sales are likely to be via amazon.
Depends. I sell almost no copies either way (a trickle to the iPad, though, thanks to Lulu's arrangement for that on a couple of books). I bought many books for local sale. (Some did well, some are taking up storage space because the author of those books died and promotion is gone with her, for all practical purposes.) One of my Lulu titles I buy for promotional use (and as a courtesy to aspiring book authors, who really need what is in it). But I am going to have to switch that to Createspace to lower the price of copies.

--Ken

FocusOnEnergy

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
focusonenergy.wordpress.com
A friend of mine who had several books published via a "legacy" publisher and then started using Lulu recommended it, but I was not impressed and I chose CreateSpace.

Regarding the printing on the spine, I did notice that was missing from their "canned" templates, but if you use their blank template and create your own cover art (or hire it done) it is formatted to allow for printing on the spine.

Focus

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
The "free" aspect of lulu may seem attractive but the $39 setup for Createspace is so low and you have so much more control over pricing and the printing cost is so much less that there really is no comparision - create space is a clear winner.....

That being said. I do use Lulu for hardcover copies.

stoi689

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys, great that I found this thread. I just published a book through Lulu and am keen to hear of other people's experiences using that publisher and other publishers too, like Create Space. I was unsure which one to go with but chose Lulu.

My main complaint...it took AGES to get on to Amazon!! Really hurt sales IMO

MonikaRuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi guys, great that I found this thread. I just published a book through Lulu and am keen to hear of other people's experiences using that publisher and other publishers too, like Create Space. I was unsure which one to go with but chose Lulu.

Yeah, this thread is very informative. Thank you!

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Quite aside from the costs, you should consider quality.

I have only read maybe 2 books from Lulu. but they seemed to be quite high quality.

I've read about a dozen from Createspace, and they tend to be a bit more hit and miss. Sometimes they are perfect, but they seem to have intermittent quality issues, with the black ink sometimes 'rainbowing' and pages occassionally offset.

Not a massive issue when all is said and done, but it was enough for me to notice it.

sheilas_world

digging in my word garden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
newsfromsheilasworld.blogspot.com
I've been looking into both of these companies for printing a couple of non-fiction books I'm working on. The question I have is, does Createspace do different sizes and bindings like Lulu? I couldn't find anything on their website. I'd need something like Lulu's 8.5 x 11 size--which is an OK size for craft-type books, and would work for what I'm doing.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . . I couldn't find anything on their website.
Look here : https://www.createspace.com/Products/Book/

Black and White Books
Trim Size White Paper
Page Count Cream Paper
Page Count Industry Standard
5 x 8 inches
12.7 x 20.32 centimeters 24 - 828 24 - 740
5.06 x 7.81 inches
12.9 x 19.8 centimeters 24 - 828 24 - 740
5.25 x 8 inches
13.335 x 20.32 centimeters 24 - 828 24 - 740
5.5 x 8.5 inches
13.97 x 21.59 centimeters 24 - 828 24 - 740
6 x 9 inches
15.24 x 22.86 centimeters 24 - 828 24 - 740
6.14 x 9.21 inches
15.6 x 23.4 centimeters 24 - 828 24 - 740
6.69 x 9.61 inches
17 x 24.4 centimeters 24 - 828 24 - 740
7 x 10 inches
17.78 x 25.4 centimeters 24 - 828 24 - 740
7.44 x 9.69 inches
18.9 x 24.6 centimeters 24 - 828 24 - 740
7.5 x 9.25 inches
I don't see 8.5" x 11", but 8" x 10" is close.

--Ken

stoi689

Registered
Reaction score
Has anybody taken the step of going on Kindle or offering a downloadable version? How's that worked out for you?

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Has anybody taken the step of going on Kindle or offering a downloadable version? How's that worked out for you?
I put a few on the Kindle to see how it worked. Easy process, but sales are tiny (not surprising, as I do almost no promotion; that will change with some new books over the next year or two).

--Ken

deana

Greetings Programs!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zhollis.com
I like the printer from CreateSpace better than LuLu. My book cover from CreateSpace was Nice! and Lulu was kind of bland.

Status
Not open for further replies.