Proposals

ToTestify

Registered
Reaction score
What is a proposal? I thought it was the agent who made the "proposal". :Shrug: Some agencies say not to send a manuscript or proposal unless requested. How can a person send a proposal if they don't know what that is???

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you talking about fiction or nonfiction?

ToTestify

Registered
Reaction score
oh, sorry, I didn't realize that was important. non-fiction. A memoir actually.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Don't query before you've written your proposal, because some agents ask for proposals, others ask for the manuscript. I've only had one agent ask for my proposal first, though. I would have been up a creek if I didn't have it ready. My proposal took longer to write than the first draft of my memoir. It's not something you can throw together in a weekend.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
What is a proposal? I thought it was the agent who made the "proposal". :Shrug: Some agencies say not to send a manuscript or proposal unless requested. How can a person send a proposal if they don't know what that is???

Google "Non-fiction proposal" and various relevant permutations for more information. Lots of information out there including step-by-step guides on how to write one. By doing all your own leg-work, you'll be able to filter what information works best for you.

By the way, some agents still want a proposal for memoir even though it is supposed to be terated like fiction.

ToTestify

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so say I have a manuscript and sent a query and they still want a proposal. I don't even understand what that means.
To me a proposal is a job offer with financial deals laid out on the table. ?????

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Found something!

ETA: I'll PM it...

Last edited:

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score

Proposals only really apply for non-fiction. It's basically where you send a proposal of what the book would be. Have a look here to see how
http://www.shepardagency.com/writing_proposals.html

For fiction you should generally have completed the book before you try and sell it. Later in your career you may be able to sell your fiction based on a proposal, but by then the agents and editors concerned will know your work and you will have established yourself enough to be able to do that.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so say I have a manuscript and sent a query and they still want a proposal. I don't even understand what that means.
To me a proposal is a job offer with financial deals laid out on the table. ?????
Not good. You won't be able to throw together a proposal. It's a specific type of writing, not unlike the query is. I hated writing mine, but was quite glad my mentor (who had 2 memoirs published) advised me to write one so I wouldn't appear unprofessional or unprepared.
Only one agent asked me for my proposal, though. The rest have requested full or partial MS.