Help me dance!

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm in my thirties and I have a birthday coming up. My husband and I are planning on sending the kids to grandma's and spending all night at a club--our first time EVER.

We've been to clubs a few times...but only a few, and only for an hour or so, usually around 9pm, before anyone else is even there.

I can dance...sort of. But I want to dance all night! I'm in good enough shape to dance all night, but I've got zero skills.

I tried looking up club dancing "how to" videos on YouTube, and found that they're almost all for guys. Girls just shake their butts, apparently. I find that a little embarrassing...and besides, after the first song or two, don't girls want to mix it up a little?

Can anyone help me find a how-to or demonstration video on club dancing?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe you should expand your question to include "How do I make this one hell of a night to remember (since the kids are away)?"

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, it means there are some other adult things you could do that would make you forget all about dancing.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
But dancing is what we want to do.

We have a lot of single friends who go out dancing and have a blast. We've always wanted to go, too, and our friends have agreed to go out with us. Problem is, they're all male, and none of them can show me how to dance!

We'll probably also go out and eat. Then, we'll go home and have some alone time, which will be blissful in its own right, I'm sure.

But we really do want to go out and dance.

adarkfox

designs books | writes books
Registered
Reaction score
if it were me I'd be more excited about the makeout session in the car reminiscent of the teen years ;)

adarkfox

designs books | writes books
Registered
Reaction score
I think if you wear a top low-cut enough and a skirt/dress hem high enough it doesn't matter what dance you're doing...

Seriously though, just make sure you're having fun because that's what makes it genuine. My fiancee only knows The Shopping Cart, The Sprinkler, and The Lawn Mower; but for whatever reason because he's having fun it looks good ;)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I really don't know how to dance... I think the key is to dance with your hips, swivel around occasionally, and don't just keep your arms by your side.

Of course, when I try that I look like I'm trying to kill a fly with my butt while my arms suffer curiously separate seizures...

Or you could just memorise a few Dance Dance Revolution songs. :)

If you want to wow people with your knowledge of obscure dances, you should youtube the batdance (I think that's what it's called) which was popular in goth clubs for a while. If nothing else, it ought to clear some space on the dancefloor. :D It's a unisex dance, as far as I know.

:)

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I can teach you how to indie-pogo, 1990-stylee.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Adarkfox...the Sprinkler? WTF? I'm seriously giggling reading your post. I'm sure you have something about being comfortable, though. I have a male friend who is totally hot and knows it, and I did get to spend a short time with him at a club at one point. It was one of those early-in-the-night things--there was practically no one there but him, his date, and me. He decided to dance, and I kid you not, he did the John Travolta point, amongst other ridiculous things, but he made them look damn good because he was so comfortable in his skin and having so much fun. I lack his confidence by a long shot. A very long shot!

Bettielee, you're officially a troublemaker. :D

Lacewing: LOL, I love it! I'm going to go post that to my facebook...

Cliff Face, it sounds like you and I dance about the same. :D I can swivel my hips in all sorts of directions, but some of them...well, most of them...don't exactly come off as lady-like. And I can't really figure out what to do with my arms.

Jimmy, if you saw the heels I'm going to wear to this, you'd understand why "drunk" is not an option!

Priene...I have no idea what the Indie-Pogo is. Makes as much sense to me as "The Sprinkler". Link? :D

Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to respond to this, and for making me laugh!

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The key to dancing is to just let your body sway to the rhythm of the music.

Just let go, and feel it, Girl! :snoopy:

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Priene...I have no idea what the Indie-Pogo is. Makes as much sense to me as "The Sprinkler". Link? :D

Go to a gig, get near the front and then hop up and down until you get RSI in one ankle. Extra marks for lateral arm waving that looks a bit arty. Demerits for accidentally karate chopping a lad from Tadcaster in the epiglottis. And if someone decides to stage dive on you, it's acceptable to let them plummet.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I've just had a sudden vision of Priene and Jimmy doing the Rumba on Strictly Come Dancing...

Well, Jimmy's a lovely fella, but I'd rather partner up with that Kara Tointon.

shyne

At your service
Registered
Reaction score
Ask the muppet. He's a private dancer, dancing for money, and as a matter of fact ANY old music will do.

Victoria

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Like many of our characters tell us what to write, let the music tell you how to dance. If you overthink it, it won't be any fun. JUST GO WITH IT!!!

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
dude, we were doing that in the 80's!

Anyone got English Beat on their ipod?

Mirror in the bathroom
please talk free