PDA

View Full Version : I gathered up some courage

c.m.n.
03-30-2011, 07:38 PM
And asked for a beta reader. And I found someone who is doing a very good job!

This is a major accomplishment for me! I am shy and withdrawn, especially when it comes to taking and accepting criticism. All I had to do was take a deep breath and ask. *gulp*

I'm also up to 20K words in my WIP!! And I started 2 months ago... not even that. Major accomplishment too. XD

Wonder if that same streak of courage will come up when it's time to think of sending queries....

DSA
03-30-2011, 07:56 PM
Good for you, c.m.n. I have the same issues. My significant other asked to see my WIP, read only 30 pages, and clearly hated it--couldn't even find one good thing to say about it. This set me back for months. Developing that thick skin is taking time. I revised, revised some more, and even more. The help here is fantastic. Good luck to you.

Phaeal
03-30-2011, 09:07 PM
Good work! Unless you're writing only for yourself, you must learn to put your work out to readers, and a compatible beta is an excellent way to start.

Queries aren't that bad. The vast majority of agents just send polite form rejections. A bad beta reader can do much more damage, which is why you must never accept less than a respectful reading which notes strengths along with weaknesses and never stoops to denigration.