PDA

View Full Version : Good Will Hunting

m3write1day
03-30-2011, 07:55 AM
One of the movies I have to watch every time it comes on. In my top ten list.

I am still a little confused about the timeline though.
Robin Williams says he met his wife in 1975. Then he later talks about the 18 years he spent with her, the six more years that he gave up counseling and the last few years when she was really sick.

This would put them past 2000 sometime, but I know the movie was made before then. It was the only thing that bugged me about the movie.

alleycat
03-30-2011, 07:59 AM
I'm not arguing with your opinion of the movie (everyone is entitled to their own), but I remember disliking the movie. I kept wanting to slap Will Hunting upside the head.

The movie was released in 1997.

Chicago Expat
03-30-2011, 08:11 AM
I kept wanting to slap Will Hunting upside the head.

Aim a little bit to the right. Affleck makes a more deserving target.

HarvesterOfSorrow
03-31-2011, 11:30 PM
Must be a small plothole. Either way, I think the movie is great and I would love to see Matt Damon and Ben Affleck collaborate on another project soon. Maybe one directed Kevin Smith? That would be awesome since he and Scott were executive producers on Good Will Hunting. Just my two cents.

Chris P
03-31-2011, 11:38 PM
I loved that movie. I never noticed the plot hole, and either it was overlooked or it was supposed to take place in the near future?

maestrowork
03-31-2011, 11:41 PM
Honestly I don't remember much about that movie, except the premise, Robin Williams, and Matt Damon wasn't bad in it either. That's how memorable it was for me. Never understood why it won best screenplay either. It wasn't really that great.

Jcomp
03-31-2011, 11:49 PM
I dug it. Didn't find it especially great, but I did like it. I really liked Ben Affleck's "You owe it to me," speech.

backslashbaby
03-31-2011, 11:50 PM
I really liked that movie :)

Mostly, I'm so impressed by Damon and Affleck. They both really have talent for writing and acting, especially Matt. I think Matt is one of the great actors, and that is talented enough, you know? Then a screenwriting Oscar (and a Harvard degree). Wow. I love that guy. He's hot, too ;)

Chicago Expat
03-31-2011, 11:51 PM
I would love to see Matt Damon and Ben Affleck collaborate on another project soon. Maybe one directed Kevin Smith? That would be awesome since he and Scott were executive producers on Good Will Hunting. Just my two cents.

Your wish was already granted.

Dogma

Here's the imdb page...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120655/

CaroGirl
03-31-2011, 11:52 PM
I really liked that movie :)

Mostly, I'm so impressed by Damon and Affleck. They both really have talent for writing and acting, especially Matt. I think Matt is one of the great actors, and that is talented enough, you know? Then a screenwriting Oscar (and a Harvard degree). Wow. I love that guy. He's hot, too ;)

I did too! And would feel the same way about Matt Damon if I hadn't seen Team America: World Police. They ruined Matt Damon for me (but it was so worth it).

blacbird
04-01-2011, 12:03 AM
I'm not arguing with your opinion of the movie (everyone is entitled to their own), but I remember disliking the movie. I kept wanting to slap Will Hunting upside the head.

I didn't dislike it so much as feel disappointed in it. Didn't live up to the hype, for me.

Chicago Expat
04-01-2011, 12:13 AM
I didn't dislike it so much as feel disappointed in it. Didn't live up to the hype, for me.

Y'see, I buy that. Myself, I just happened upon the movie one day without having heard anything substantial about it, including any hype that would raise my expectations.

I thought it was a solid movie, shot beautifully, decent acting and (thankfully) not over the top, killer soundtrack (aside from closing credits), and just fun enough and just introspective enough to keep my interest from a couple different angles.
And for a change, Robin Williams didn't ruin a movie for me.

dragonjax
04-01-2011, 12:35 AM

Dogma

Here's the imdb page...

DOGMA!!! Loved, loved, loved DOGMA!

MttStrn
04-01-2011, 12:40 AM
There's a really funny scene in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back where they show Matt Damon and Ben Affleck filming Good Will Hunting 2: Hunting Season.

Cyia
04-01-2011, 01:24 AM
The only thing I liked about that movie was the speech Robin Williams gave about why Will had the friends he did. Other than that, the title garbles in my ear and I hear it as a p0rn0 title.

Eumenides
04-01-2011, 01:31 AM
I like this movie very much. I find it very well written. I love the relationship between Damon and Williams. It's a great story about friendship, love and facing one's demons and insecurities. I felt so happy for Will at the end, when he goes after his love, leaving a promising career behind.

HarvesterOfSorrow
04-01-2011, 05:07 AM

Dogma

Here's the imdb page...

Yeah, but Kevin Smith wrote and directed Dogma. I'm sayin' a movie written by both Matt and Ben and directed by Kevin Smith. Kevin was actually approached to direct Good Will Hunting and Robert Rodruigez was approached to direct Dogma but Robert Rodruigez said that it seemed like too much of a personal story, and suggested that Kevin direct the movie himself, which he did, and it was awesome.

RayC
07-21-2011, 05:40 PM
It could be that there was overlap in that timeframe. I agree with you though, I have to watch it every time it comes on too.

Same with Rounders.

These Mean Streets
07-21-2011, 06:56 PM
The first time I saw it, I was 'meh'. Years and years later I saw it again and thought it was great.

Go figure.

AmsterdamAssassin
07-22-2011, 01:50 AM
I like the NSA scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJqWHDuOpc4

AmsterdamAssassin
07-22-2011, 02:12 AM
One of the movies I have to watch every time it comes on. In my top ten list.

I am still a little confused about the timeline though.
Robin Williams says he met his wife in 1975. Then he later talks about the 18 years he spent with her, the six more years that he gave up counseling and the last few years when she was really sick.

This would put them past 2000 sometime, but I know the movie was made before then. It was the only thing that bugged me about the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg_9FQk6UnA&feature=related

Watch it again, listen well and count.
He spent eighteen years with his wife Nancy. Eighteen years in total, from meeting her to her death.
During these years, he gave up counseling for six years, and he didn't regret the last years when she got really sick. And died. All that happened in eighteen years since 1975. So his wife died in 1993. He talks about meeting Nancy twenty years ago and not going to the 1975 game to be with her. So the scene is in [1975 plus 20 years is] 1995.

No plot hole.

gothicangel
07-22-2011, 05:13 PM
There's a really funny scene in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back where they show Matt Damon and Ben Affleck filming Good Will Hunting 2: Hunting Season.

'How do you like those apples?' :tongue

Put me down as another one who loves Good Will Hunting. I adore these type of movies, also love A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints [anyone who claims that Channing Tatum can't act needs to see this film], The Basketball Diaries, and Dead Poets Society.

Lady Ice
07-27-2011, 10:53 PM

My thoughts exactly. And the Robin Williams character! Urgh- so badly written. I laughed at the bit where he keeps telling Will: "It's not your fault". Will needed a good slap.

And the film's ending was a cheesy cop-out.

pbook
07-29-2011, 09:33 PM
I'm with OP, one of the top 10 of all time.

This movie is listed as the top 100 movies of all time in several listings by the way.