Helpful Query Tips For Aspiring Writers

Status
Not open for further replies.

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
1. E-mails can get lost in the Internet. When you query, always call at least three times to verify that the agent received it.

2. Thank you notes are appropriate whenever you get a form-rejection or an out-of-office autoreply. Always send several thank you notes, in case one gets lost in the Internet. Call to make sure they arrive.

3. If you query by regular-mail, put some granulated sugar in the envelope. This lets the agent know that your book is a sweet read

4. Literary agents are busy people, and it can be hard to get them on the phone. Sometimes, you need to wait outside their houses.

5. If you have an idea for a book, but you don't have the time to write it, you should call agents to see if they want to buy the proposal for someone else to write. But don't tell anyone what the idea is, because they might steal it. Ask them to sign a nondisclosure agreement.

6. The rules of grammar aren't really rules. They are more like guidelines for people who like to think inside the box.

7. If someone tells you your writing is incomprehensible, it is because they are too stupid to understand it.

8. Always stand up for yourself. Let every craven dumbass who rejects you know that they've made a mistake they'll regret forever

9. J.K. Rowling got, like, five rejections. You got fifty, so that means your work is ten times more groundbreaking and threatening to the bourgeois establishment!

10. If your book is about spies, you should write your query in code. Agents will have so much fun decrypting it.

11. Make sure to tell agents that you have registered your manuscript with the copyright office. That lets them know you're serious.

12. Don't let anything stand between you and your dream of being an author. Especially not your learning disability or your functional illiteracy.

13. Don't let anyone tell you that your writing is "bad." "Bad" is just a word, and great authors don't care at all about words.

14. There is no such thing as a bad writer or a bad book. There are only bad agents, bad editors, bad bookstores, bad critics and bad readers.

15. Every story is a sacred jewel that deserves to be treasured. Some jewels are transparently racist. Some jewels are full of cliches and stilted dialog. Some jewels don't make any sense. But they're still jewels, dammit.

16.If you are writing about a common topic like vampires, try to put a unique twist on it. Like, maybe the vampire falls in love

Niti Newtfinger

Registered
Reaction score
Tee hee! Lists like these are inspiring. At least I know if I make mistakes, they won't be this bad.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
This should be stickied in QLH...except people might believe it.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Love it!!! Made me laugh outloud. Thank you.

Amy, I refuse to publicly comment on what I think of your suggestion regarding sticky. You already know!

t0dd

Registered
Reaction score
I hope nobody mistakes this for actual advice.

Alexandermerow

Registered
Reaction score
J.K. Rowling got, like, five rejections. You got fifty, so that means your work is ten times more groundbreaking and threatening to the bourgeois establishment!

:D

Thanks for the informations!

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
1. Everybody who gets published knows somebody on the inside. So be sure, in your query, to lie about knowing someone famous.

2. Before you pour a lot of time into writing a book, call some editors on the phone to ask if they think your idea is a bestseller.

3. Just because you're too busy to write a book doesn't mean you can't be an author. Hire an unpaid intern to write one for you.

4. Successful authors always write what they know. That's why most books are about alcoholism and depression.

5. Publishers like authors to be kind of ethnic, but not too ethnic. Try to work that angle, if you can.

6. Only submit to literary magazines with names that evoke wide-open, sun-dappled places where nobody wants to live.

7. You drink because you're lonely and life disappoints you. You write for the same reasons, and also because you're a narcissist.

8. No matter what your book is about, describe it as "dystopian" and "steampunk" in your query.

9. Your query should include at least three references to "social media."

10. Tell agents that your main love-interest would be a great movie role for Robert Pattinson. That's a big selling point.

11. The bestselling "Dexter" features a serial killer who only kills other serial killers. But what if there was series about a serial killer who only kills children? Edgy!

12. Why has there never been a book about a girl who has to choose between the affections of a straight-laced hunk and some kind of bad-boy?

13. There's no such thing as oversharing on the Internet. Tweet about your relationships, what you are having for lunch and all, especially, your form rejections.

14. Manuscripts should be interesting to look at. Use fun fonts like Comic Sans and italicize as much as possible.

15. Show you believe in your manuscript by assuring agents that it is a guaranteed bestseller which they'd be stupid to reject.

16. Agents love getting unsolicited full manuscripts. It saves them the trouble of requesting. Ship your unsolicited manuscripts by FedEx overnight, to show you are serious.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
17. Be sure to clarify to the agent that you've written a "fiction novel".

I don't know how I missed this one, LOL.
18. Be sure to clarify to the agent that you've written a nonfiction novel. :D

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
1. If you get a lot of rejections, it's probably because you didn't spend enough time networking on Facebook

2. If you write fantasy, be sure to use lots of made-up words and names in your query. Agents love that.

3. Publishers are interested in any well-told story, as long as it's about a teenage girl who has to choose between two hot boys.

4. People want to read about realistic, identifiable characters, such as sexually non-threatening teenage boys with six-pack abs.

5. Write realistic dialog. For example, when a man tells his male friends about a woman he's met, he should describe her eyes a lot.

6. When writing for the Young Adult audience, authenticity is important. You must know what is cool. Drugs and premarital sex are never cool.

7. Your protagonist must always be likable. This means she should avoid conflict at all times.

8. Don't be naive about how the publishing business works. Always send headshots with your query. Follow-up with sexts. Let them know you're willing to do ANYTHING to make your dream come true.

9. Publishing a book isn't a way to get famous. Getting famous is a way to publish a book.

10. Every kind of monster is sexy now. When you think of werewolves, think "doggystyle." When you think of zombies, think "priapism."

11. You can still get rich writing monster mashups. "Ethan Frome The Black Lagoon," and "A Tale Of Two Cities Destroyed By Godzilla."

12. If you have trouble getting a literary agent on the phone, remember most people can be reached at home between one and five a.m.

13. Send your fan-fiction to the producers of the TV shows you write about. Then sue them all for stealing your ideas

14. Talent isn't what sells books. But you already know that, or you wouldn't be doing this.

15. Nobody has written a paranormal romance about sexy dragons yet. Consider the possibilities of a prehensile, reptilian tongue.

16. Look up agents' previous sales before you query, so you can tell them how your book is better than all the shit they represent

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
After two kind of satiric posts, I knew you'd finally get serious.

But listen, since you've got an actual book coming out from an actual paying publisher, why don't you list a few of the things you actually did to actually get published.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, since I just threw down the gauntlet, I figured I'd back it up with facts about myself (that is, if anyone knows who I really am). Here are some of the ways I wound up with 12-15 published books (all with major publishers).
1) For my first book, someone in the music business liked my writing and recommended me to his editor.
2) Most of my agents I've gotten because I was recommended by a client who was a friend of mine (different friends).
3) My most recent book came about because I was friends with the editor in chief of the publishing house (no agent).
4) A couple of books I got when the same editor asked me if I'd be interested in writing them.
5) I really don't remember how I got my first agent; but I do know the publisher was already interested in the book.
6) On one of my books, after my agent turned it down I got another agent who sold it in a month for one of the highest advances I've ever gotten.
7) By the way, before that book came out I lost two editors, one associate editor, the head of publicity (they were looking for a foreign rights person but never found one until it was too late).
8. My second book I got because my collaborator was friends with someone at the publishing company.
9. My second novel got published because the first one got a rave in one trade publication and a paperback sale.
10. My third novel sold because they were trying to build on the momentum (ha ha) of the first two.
11. Each book had a different editor.
12. I got one book because my agent told me what a particular editor was looking for.
13. When one critic complained my book read like a reference book, I decided to write a reference book next, using most of that material.
14. When that book went out of print, years later, I sold it again (an updated edition) to the same editor, who'd switched houses (no agent).
15. My best seller of all time came from a meeting with an editor, who said, do you think it's too late for a book on (such and such). I said, "Absolutely not."
16. Because it was part of a club, my royalties on said book turned out to be among the lowest of my career.
17. I'm working on five books now, two under contact, and still looking for an agent for the other three novels.
18. Do you wonder why I don't self publish?

Last edited:

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
1. Nothing inspires readers like a memoir by an author who struggled to overcome a serious illness. Maybe you should get a disease.

2. Buttering the agent up with a little bit of praise can't hurt your chances. Tell her she has a sensuous mouth and beautiful kids.

3. Have you ever wondered what it would be like to have an agent? Then be sure to start your query with a rhetorical question

4. Sick of waiting weeks for responses? Send your query as a mass e-mail blast to fifty agents, so they know there's competition.

5. A query should be no more than 300 words, and at least 180 of them should be adjectives.

6. Self-publishing is a great way to become obscure.

7. Hand-write your queries to give them a personal touch. To really impress agents, send handwritten full manuscripts. Unsolicited.

8. Try to write a novel that has a built-in audience, such as a sequel to another author's popular series.

9. Send your query to "Dear Agent" or "Dear Sir/Madam" to avoid the embarrassment of accidentally misspelling someone's name.

10. When pitching at a conference, remember that a professional handshake should last at least 45 seconds. Hang on to that agent!

11. Everyone drinks at conferences. If you're sober, you'll look like a narc. Pound three Jäger shots twenty minutes before your pitch.

12. It is easier to publish if you write in a hot genre. Most agents are looking for Amish technothrillers and YA erotica right now.

13. Idioms and folk-sayings form a bond of familiarity between your characters and readers. They're as useful as can be!

14. Once you have an agent, call her twice a day, just to check in.

15. Don't compromise your artistic vision just because some PC liberals say your book is "racist." You're just telling it like it is!

16. Friend your favorite author on Facebook. Once you are friends, he'll be delighted when you show up at his house to hang out.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
12. Don't let anything stand between you and your dream of being an author. Especially not your learning disability or your functional illiteracy.

#12 is pretty shitty. Plenty of people with learning disabilities are intelligent and skillful writers. If you don't know any, here's a list of folks you've probably heard of: http://www.greatschools.org/special...le-dyslexia-ld-or-ad-hd.gs?content=696&page=4 Not to mention a handful of folks here on the forum. RYFW.

Yep, #12 does take the funny away. It feeds into all the usual misconceptions that if you have any issues with language, you're a lost cause, incapable of learning and should give up now.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Without wishing to put a downer on this thread, I'm uncomfortable about #12 too. I have mild dyslexia and my youngest son has severe dyslexia, which is a specific learning difficulty. We both have to work extra-hard on our reading and writing; being dismissed in this way is unpleasant.

I don't think you meant to be nasty, djf881; but I don't think you thought this out fully either and from my point of view, #12 on your list is ugly.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've just read this thread in detail and I'm not going to let it continue.

If you want to know why, just read these two quotes and ask yourself if they pass the RYFW rule; and consider how you'd feel if you or someone you love had learning disabilities, were struggling with illiteracy, or were fighting a life-threatening disease.

Have more care, people. I know that we each have a different understanding of what's funny but these two items just aren't.

1. Nothing inspires readers like a memoir by an author who struggled to overcome a serious illness. Maybe you should get a disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.