PDA

View Full Version : What's the meaning of your username?

ebonythoughts
03-30-2011, 01:11 AM
Ebony is similar to dark or skin color, and I have many Thoughts.

Silver King
03-30-2011, 02:11 AM
Mine is a nickname used for tarpon, like the one pictured in my avatar.

I took that shot while fighting the fish, which was jumping all over the place at the time.

scarletpeaches
03-30-2011, 02:14 AM
Scarlett O' Hara is one of my favourite fictional heroines, and I also loved watching Captain Scarlet when it was shown a few years back. The second part of my username comes from an ex-boyfriend telling me I had an arse like a peach. I thought lopping off one T and pluralising the peach made my username just look better.

And from that, I got my pseudonym! Scarlett was obvious, especially given my genre, and Parrish was a name I liked for no other reason that it goes with the other half of my pen name. And Scarlett Parrish sounds a wee bit like scarletpeaches.

backslashbaby
03-30-2011, 02:29 AM
Mine's just an old userid I used to use when I worked mainframes. It's never taken :)

Smish
03-30-2011, 02:32 AM
Mine's an old college nickname. A bunch of drunk friends were saying my actual name over and over until it ended up sounding like Smish.

Mr Flibble
03-30-2011, 02:39 AM
It saves time if I'm upfront about it.

jennontheisland
03-30-2011, 02:42 AM
My name is jenn. I (used to) live on the island.

I've actually changed my handle everywhere but here. This is the only place I'm still on the island. My ex is on the island too. But he's never been here. Still debating changing things here.

DeaK
03-30-2011, 02:51 AM
Mine's boring. My first name's Dea, and my last name starts with a K. This is the first forum I've ever belonged to:hi:

Chris P
03-30-2011, 02:56 AM
Mine was chosen by my parents 40 years ago.

bettielee
03-30-2011, 03:23 AM
first and middle name squarshed together

VP_Benni
03-30-2011, 03:27 AM
I was talking to a friend on the phone while I was with relatives and he was calling me a princess. My brother decided to convince my little cousin that I was a vampyre, and he fell for it... -.- I texted that to my friend, and in his reply he called me "a vampyre princess!" It stuck. xD

As a side note, that was about a year and a half ago and my lil cousin still thinks I'm a vampyre. ;)

~Amber~

Pyekett
03-30-2011, 03:34 AM
It's my last name for writing purposes.

Alan Yee
03-30-2011, 03:54 AM
You'll never guess how I came up with my username.

It's the name on my birth certificate, minus the middle name.

milly
03-30-2011, 03:57 AM
mine is the shortened version of the last name of my MC in the first novel I ever wrote...her last name is Millworth

:)

no, milly is not my real name...not even close

hehe

SinisterCola
03-30-2011, 04:06 AM
I'm practically addicted to soda, and we all know how bad it can be if you drink too much of it!

Plus a character in a story I wrote was sinister and loved a cold can of Coke before he did his bidding :D

rhymegirl
03-30-2011, 04:11 AM
I don't know the meaning of my username.

ZannaPerry
03-30-2011, 04:44 AM
My name is a combination of my first, middle, and last name that I picked out to come up with a really cool alias name.

PorterStarrByrd
03-30-2011, 04:52 AM
Two of my favorite witers, for very different reasons are Mark Twain and Ned Buntline

I had to join them with a naughtical name.

Now .. if I can just catch a glimpse of them from way behind in the writing world ..

Devil Ledbetter
03-30-2011, 05:10 AM
Devil is there to make everyone think my name is David. You wouldn't believe how often I get called David. It's magic.

Silver King
03-30-2011, 05:26 AM
Devil is there to make everyone think my name is David. You wouldn't believe how often I get called David. It's magic.
I've seen that a number of times, enough to make me think some people are referring to the archangel David and not to the devil herself. ;)

thothguard51
03-30-2011, 05:40 AM
I could tell but I then would have to silence everyone who knew...

adarkfox
03-30-2011, 05:41 AM
When I started using the interwebz I wanted Dark Horse because I lurve ponies... it was taken. My last name is fox so what the hell... it's stuck with for more years than I'd care to count.

ebonythoughts
03-30-2011, 05:46 AM
Mine is a nickname used for tarpon, like the one pictured in my avatar.

I took that shot while fighting the fish, which was jumping all over the place at the time.

Beautiful pic!

Devil Ledbetter
03-30-2011, 05:52 AM
I've seen that a number of times, enough to make me think some people are referring to the archangel David and not to the devil herself. ;)I've toyed with using David Ledbetter as a pseudonym. If I ever need a male pseudonym, I have one ready-made. Thanks, People of AW Who Can't Read Good.

ebonythoughts
03-30-2011, 05:55 AM
I'm practically addicted to soda, and we all know how bad it can be if you drink too much of it! :D

I'm addicted to soda too! :)

Lyxdeslic
03-30-2011, 05:59 AM
I'ev nerver rellay thuohgt abuot waht mien maens. Elt me get bakc to yuo on taht oen.

Lyx

NeuroFizz
03-30-2011, 06:02 AM
My primary research area is neurophysiology, which is frequently shortened to neurophys. It allowed some word play with fizzing neurons.

Silver King
03-30-2011, 06:33 AM
Beautiful pic!
Thanks.

I also appreciate any excuse to post a bigger version:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa62/Silver-King/Tarpon05-14-07038-2-1.jpg

enigmahfc
03-30-2011, 06:35 AM
Back when I watched wrestling (WWF/E not the real stuff) some 13 years ago, Enigma was my made-up wrestling name. Me and some friends had a fake stable called the Hell Fire Club. So, enigmahfc. It's never taken, and I love confusing people with it when they try to say it out loud.

I'ev nerver rellay thuohgt abuot waht mien maens. Elt me get bakc to yuo on taht oen.

Lyx

This hurt my brain.

Vito
03-30-2011, 07:08 AM
When I was growing up, my friend's older sister had a boyfriend named Vito. I admired him very much during my childhood, and I later learned that he was a man of immense character and integrity. So, "Vito" is the name!

Snowstorm
03-30-2011, 07:13 AM
As I stared out the window trying to figure out a username, a blizzard raged outside (ah, paradise!).

Duchessmary
03-30-2011, 07:24 AM
Duchess has been my screen name for a lot of years. I just added my first name after it. I love anything royal and so..there you have it!!!!:D

benbradley
03-30-2011, 08:32 AM
It's been so long I forget.

FocusOnEnergy
03-30-2011, 08:45 AM
I'm a news photographer who also writes, so my moniker is Focus, which is how I sign my posts.

When the energy industry became a particular interest of mine, I started a blog I titled Focus on Energy because I liked the little play on words. Since Focus was already taken on this forum, I just used my blog title.

Focus

Pyrohawk
03-30-2011, 09:30 AM
It's a combo of two nicknames I had growing up. Hawk was what they called me in elementary school because I loved falconry and was always carrying around a training manual about it. So my teacher started calling me The Hawk. Pyro is what my high school friends called me because I got in to Amateur Pyrotechnics, got pretty good at them too. And I was always bringing fireworks to set off at my friends houses on the weekends.

And so I put the two names togethor and got Pyrohawk. Which is essentially a pheonix so I found my avatar picture and have used the name/avatar combo for about 7 years now. I occassionally switched it out for a picture of one of my fireworks when I was on the Pyrotechnics forums....but always came back to this one.

Sadly neither of those hobbies have really stuck around since I now live in the city while I go to college.... I still do pyrotechnics from time to time, but only very rarely since it's a pain to go home long enough to build.

ConChron
03-30-2011, 02:07 PM
The work name for the story I work on the most is "The Continuum Chronicle" since the work on it seems endless. I simply shortened it and turned it into a screen name.

JimmyB27
03-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Jimmy is short for my real name: David.
B is the first letter of my surname.
27 is the day of my birthday.

Elaine Margarett
03-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Elaine Margaret(t) was the name of my mother-in-law. It's a way to acknowledge the wonderful gift she gave me...my husband and soulmate.

I will forever be in her debt.

thethinker42
03-30-2011, 05:27 PM
The Thinker is from The X-Files, and 42 is the meaning of life.

misha_mcg
03-30-2011, 06:00 PM
Misha is a nickname my sister and my boyfriend use (both came up with it individually and spontaneously, year apart. Weird, eh?) and mcg is the first three letters of my last name, hence: misha_mcg

amrose
03-30-2011, 09:22 PM
A and M are my first and last initials. Rose is my middle name. My favorite time of day is the morning (when I don't have to get to work and can laze around with some tea and a book) so it's also playing with how I'm a morning flower.

Eudoxia
03-31-2011, 12:17 AM
I had a Neverwinter Nights character with this name and the name has just stuck with me for many years. I also love greek names and I planned on using this name for my future child.

tjwriter
03-31-2011, 01:25 AM
When I started using the interwebz I wanted Dark Horse because I lurve ponies... it was taken. My last name is fox so what the hell... it's stuck with for more years than I'd care to count.

I always want to read your user name as AardvarkFox. I have no idea what's wrong with me.

I've toyed with using David Ledbetter as a pseudonym. If I ever need a male pseudonym, I have one ready-made. Thanks, People of AW Who Can't Read Good.

When they do this, it makes me laugh.

~~

Mine is my first and middle initials and the word writer. Creative, huh?

sheadakota
03-31-2011, 01:41 AM
Shea is the name of one of my horses and Dakota is the name of another. I always thought it woud make a great pen name if I ever switch genres.

Jessianodel
03-31-2011, 01:51 AM
Mine is my eventual pseudonym smashed together. Jessie Sianodel. I came up with the last name in DnD and the first name was one I chose when I was doing a project with my friend.

mscelina
03-31-2011, 01:57 AM
It's a shortened version of my original screen name (missing a letter) that I adopted in early days to reflect both my name and a not-so-subtle play on words.

Cliff Face
03-31-2011, 02:17 AM
Just a pen name that was discarded when I realised it was kind of unprofessional...

I mean, sure, I wrote a comedy - but a play on words as my actual writer name probably isn't too smart. ;)

And no, my name is not Cliff. :)

ArcadiaDarrell
03-31-2011, 03:51 AM
a character (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkady_Darell) created by one of my favorite writers though the Mule is my favorite character by him.

Wicked
03-31-2011, 03:55 AM
<--- You'll never guess. :tongue

Cliff Face
03-31-2011, 05:12 AM
I think Wicked's username means that she is a nice and cuddly person with not even a trace of the sinister arts. ;)

Then again, I also think Mr. T does NOT pity the foo'.

Wicked
03-31-2011, 05:40 AM
I think Wicked's username means that she is a nice and cuddly person with not even a trace of the sinister arts. ;)

Then again, I also think Mr. T does NOT pity the foo'.

Of course I'm cuddly!

Kind of like a cactus. :roll::ROFL:

Victoria
03-31-2011, 06:29 AM
Um...uh...jeez, I don't know. It's NOT my real name. Really, it isn't.

Monkey
03-31-2011, 08:10 AM
When I was about two, my dad started calling me his little monkey. He was the first of many, LOL. I've always loved to climb, loved heights, and been acrobaticly inclined...I'm now in my thirties and happily doing parkour.

I also enjoy a good laugh, and tend to make light of things. I was born on April Fool's day, and absolutely love it.

And there's religious significance, both in my belief that I'm a work-in-progress (think evolution) and in my faith (think Hanuman.)

There are a lot of reasons I'm a monkey. :)

Steam&Ink
03-31-2011, 08:19 AM
I chose it because many of my novels are set in Industrial Era England.

Also, I love steampunk - if I could ever have a steam-powered pen to write with instead of a computer, I'd SO be in my element :)

SaraP
03-31-2011, 05:09 PM
SaraP comes from my pen name, first plus initial of the last.

Sara is my real name as well (not my first because no one in real life uses my first name).