Kindle & Version Control

Matthew Colville

Registered
Reaction score
I have a book available on Kindle. I recently updated it, fixed some typos, gave it a better opening. As far as I know, the process is as simple as going to the Kindle Direct page and uploading a new version of the book.

My question then is; given that the old version of the book is on my Kindle currently, how do I test to see if the new version "took?" If the formatting looks good?

I think, for instance, a new reader has the current version based on their reaction. But even when I delete my Kindle app (which I use way more than my actual Kindle) and redownload it, the version of my novel that I end up with is the original version.

I'm somewhat stymied and don't mind asking for help. :D

Library4Science

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.library4science.com
Check over on the Kindle DTP forum, there have been a few threads about this. I think the gist of it is you have to contact support there to get your old version removed from your Kindle archive on Amazon and then you can get your new version. Your old customers won't see your new version.

Matthew Colville

Registered
Reaction score
Check over on the Kindle DTP forum, there have been a few threads about this. I think the gist of it is you have to contact support there to get your old version removed from your Kindle archive on Amazon and then you can get your new version. Your old customers won't see your new version.

Hmm...interesting. Thanks. :D

As long as new readers get the new version, I'm ok with that. Be nice to push out revisions to old readers, but I can see why that would be weird.

Matthew Colville

Registered
Reaction score
The capacity to Loan books makes it pretty easy to see if your revision is live for new users. Though it does require exploiting a friend. :D