PDA

View Full Version : need someone who can help with Arabic

rosehips
03-28-2011, 11:24 PM
How do you say, "Uncle Hamza!" in Arabic?
How do you say, "No!" or "Leave me alone" or "Get away from me"?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Also, "You're coming with me"
"Shut up, <insert insult to a woman seen as having disgraced herself and her family>"

Silver King
03-29-2011, 06:31 AM
عم حمزة

How do you say, "No!"لا

Leave me aloneترك لي وحده

Get away from meابعد عني

You're coming with meكنت قادما معي

Shut upاسكت

My personal favorite:
You should be looking these up yourself to find the translationsيجب عليك أن تبحث هذه بالتسجيل في نفسك للعثور على ترجمة

mewoone
03-29-2011, 10:10 AM

when you said uncle do you mean the brother of her father or the brother of the mother?

In English you don't have the ع letter so instead it will be "a" " Amy Hamza" (brother of the father)
in English you don't have the خ letter so instead it will be "k" " Kalle Hamza" the brother of the mother)

How do you say, "No!" or "Leave me alone" or "Get away from me"?
Thanks in advance for any help.

No.... laaaa
leave me alone .....Atrakny wahdy (again you don't have the ح but instead I will write H)

get away from me..... Abtad any (no ع instead a )

Also, "You're coming with me"

Sof Taaten ma aee

"Shut up, <insert insult to a woman seen as having disgraced herself and her family

Askty

Kewii
03-29-2011, 01:24 PM
It also depends on where your character is from. Some of the dialect changes by regions. But most of the above should work :)

rosehips
03-29-2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks both of you!
Is Askty the insult or the way you say shut up?

rosehips
03-29-2011, 10:33 PM
My personal favorite: يجب عليك أن تبحث هذه بالتسجيل في نفسك للعثور على ترجمة

This may come a great shock, but I am actually capable of doing that. In fact, I spent the better part of an hour doing that, and searching for a romanized version of those translations. I could not find an online translator that could do that. But shukran for the snarkiness, it's always good for my blood flow.

mewoone
03-30-2011, 12:10 AM
Thanks both of you!
Is Askty the insult or the way you say shut up?

it will be shut up ..

Silver King
03-30-2011, 03:00 AM
This may come a great shock, but I am actually capable of doing that. In fact, I spent the better part of an hour doing that...
You spent one whole hour, or rather the better part of one, researching it on your own? Well I didn't realize your level of commitment, so you'll have to excuse my earlier "snarkiness."

rosehips
03-30-2011, 03:47 AM
Silver, find me a site that translates to romanized Arabic, please. If you can do it, I'll be quiet. If you can't, how about you return the favor?

Silver King
03-30-2011, 04:33 AM
Silver, find me a site that translates to romanized Arabic, please. If you can do it, I'll be quiet. If you can't, how about you return the favor?
You never said anything until now about "romanized Arabic." I thought you were talking about actual Arabic. You might want to edit your original post to reflect that distinction.

If I tried hard enough, I'd bet you almost anything I could find the translation tool you are seeking, and so can you. It might take more than an hour, though, and require a greater depth of study than just a simple Google search.

Anyway, I'll honor your request and shut up now. Good luck with your work.

rosehips
03-30-2011, 04:46 AM
This may come a great shock, but I am actually capable of doing that. In fact, I spent the better part of an hour doing that, and searching for a romanized version of those translations. I could not find an online translator that could do that. But shukran for the snarkiness, it's always good for my blood flow.

Just to show that this is not the first time I mentioned it. Although, you are correct, I didn't say that in the OP, and I realize my post would have been clearer if I had. FWIW, I had no problem with the translation you offered (even though it wasn't going to work for me) until I read the last line. I found your comment to imply that I was being lazy. And since you didn't say the same thing, from what I can tell, to the other people who post for language help on this forum (French, German, UK slang, Samoan, to name a few), I did feel that your comment was inappropriate.

As for whether there is an online translator that does English to romanized Arabic, I have searched for one more than once. One may exist, but it's either not free or so badly tagged that I am incapable of finding it. If you do ever come acorss one, I'd love to have it, as I have a recurring character in a series I'm writing who is Tunisian, and I rarely get to represent her speaking her mother tongue. It's only on this site that I've gotten real help with that (and other things).

Anyway, I'm done too. If I insulted you, I apologize. It was not my intent. If you want to respond, please do, but I suggest you do so by pm. The only reason I didn't do so myself is because I figured you might want to avoid this thread and my response, and pming you would be like hunting you down. :)

Peace.

mgencleyn
04-01-2011, 02:27 AM
This looks friendly enough for offering occasional translations:

http://www.dubaiforums.com/learning-arabic/

http://www.unilang.org/viewforum.php?f=25

http://www.tolearnarabic.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16

rosehips
04-01-2011, 07:41 AM
Nice, mg! Thank you! That's fantastic.

NDoyle
04-16-2011, 08:09 PM
I'm new to the forums and so late to this conversation, but hope that this might be of some help:

The "classic" way to say "go away" in Arabic is "imshi" (or "imshee"). It is impolite and so seems usually directed at dogs, pesky children, and beggars, but can be used in other situations as necessary.

I myself employed it once, while visiting Giza before they erected the fence to keep out vendors and illicit guides. Having a degree in the field, and being there for contemplation and photography, I scarcely needed a guide, but these reasons, and my repeated utterances of "La, shukran" ("No, thanks"), did not deter one particular man. Finally, in exasperation, I yelled, "Imshi!," at which he looked startled, threw up his hands, and said, "Okay, Okay!" As he left me in peace, I added a "Shukran" ("Thank you") for good measure. Neither he nor anyone else bothered me for the rest of my visit.

rosehips
04-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Thanks, NDoyle! This is good to know.

NDoyle
04-17-2011, 04:23 AM
My pleasure, Rosehips!

quixotic!fantastic!
04-18-2011, 12:06 AM
Watch out finding Arabic translators - Tunisian Arabic is going to be pretty different from Middle-Eastern Arabic, and even Egyptian Arabic, which is probably the most "different" dialect from the rest. You might actually want to try this question again and put "Tunisian Arabic' in the thread title just to make sure you get the right vocabulary/pronunciations.

Good luck!

Also, isn't this supposed to be a forum where people can safely ask what might come off as stupid questions? (Not that yours was remotely stupid.) I kind of thought that this space in particular was supposed to be "safe" from unnecessary snark. I'm sorry that happened to you and hope you'll feel free to keep asking!!

rosehips
04-18-2011, 12:13 AM
Thank you!
In this particular case, I need Iraqi Arabic, and my impression was that Mewoone was translating with that in mind (we pmed a few times beyond this thread). But your point is very well taken and I'll definitely keep that in mind for future translations. :)

Bing Z
04-18-2011, 11:53 PM
I hope rosehips won't mind me butt in with a slightly different agenda :tongue. I hope this will benefit us both.

I also have a Muslim Arab, a (Northern) Sudanese, in my story but he speaks very good English. I want him to swear an oath about something (in English), like an American may say "I swear to God I didn't do it."

My intuit adaptation was "In the name of Allah, I didn't do it." I then googled the phrase "In the name of Allah" for confirmation. The first several matches came from a (couple of) suspicious groups (like hate groups) and it made me wonder if the phrase is one that a normal Muslim will say for this situation. He is saying it in private in New York, if that matters.

Any idea?

quixotic!fantastic!
04-19-2011, 05:30 AM
In shaah Allah = God willing might be the most likely use here. It's used for a lot of different situations, anything from "Man I hope so" to "knock on wood;" from the everyday to the superstitious. But try to get a few votes on this one before using it.

Kewii
04-19-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm not sure that Inshallallah would work. It's more of a hopefully something will happen.

My students tend to say Wallah if they're swearing to me that they did something or didn't do something.

It's possible it's Kuwaiti dialect though, so I would double check it.

Edit: Did my own research and found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallah_(Arabic)

I think it would work in your scenario.

Bing Z
04-19-2011, 04:46 PM
That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Kewii and quixotic!fantastic!

Can't believe Wikipedia even has this :Hail:

rosehips
04-20-2011, 06:08 AM
Thanks to all of you for answering. I'm hoping to find someone at home in Muslim/Middle Eastern culture who would be willing to beta-read my novel's first (very ugly) draft. I want to know whether I've handled the story-line with the Iraqis well, or if it's offensive. Are any of you game?

quixotic!fantastic!
08-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Hi rosehips. I know I'm coming in a bit (okay, a LOT) late.. . but what genre is it? I might be interested in reading it.