PDA

View Full Version : Wrestlemania - Am I the only one?

dsire
03-28-2011, 02:39 PM
I have a horrible feeling that I am the only one of the gazillions of people on this entire forum that (still) watches wrestling. Is that true?

I started watching it back in 2000, at the end of the Attitude Era. I was only 14, but I haven't stopped watching it. It's sort of like the last childhood thing I clutch to.

It's not very good at the moment, stuck in the PG Era, but in the lead up to Wrestlemania 27, business has picked up! The Rock is back! HHH and The Undertaker are going head-to-head! Snooki is wrestling... er... yeah, maybe not so excited about that last one.

So I just wondered if anyone else watches WWE here. If so, what are your thoughts on this Sunday's PPV? Match predictions?

Thesaintterrapin
03-28-2011, 11:39 PM
I watch it, have been to monday night raw in london twice, (for my son of course),

Its tongue in cheek, but fun entertainment.

CheyElizabeth
03-28-2011, 11:44 PM
I LOVE WWE. Grew up watching it with my husband when we were 13 or so.. (and obviously not married then)

I want to see Cena kick the Rock's Ass even though yeah yeah, The Rock rules...

I want Alberto Del Rio to do something awesome. I love him.

And we know the Undertaker won't lose his streak... but it would be totally awesome if he did.

The Snooki thing though- That almost makes me want to stop watching wrestling forever. It's taken A LOT for me to ignore that they've let scum like that on Wrestling. And it's wrestling, so that's saying a lot.

robeiae
03-29-2011, 12:20 AM
I don't watch it much, anymore. But I've always loved it.

Today I watched The Rise And Fall Of WCW (http://www.amazon.com/WWE-Rise-Fall-WCW/dp/B0028X36EE) on Netflix. Worth watching, for people interested in some backstory (it's a bit spun, to be sure, but still informative).

And interestingly enough, Chris Benoit is not referenced once in the movie, despite his less-than-insignificant role* in that period.

*ETA: That was sarcasm on my part. I realized that some might not read it that way. Benoit was a major figure at WCW during the big rise to the top, then was slowly minimized (hence his jump to the WWE).

dsire
03-29-2011, 12:23 AM
Nice to know I'm not totally alone.

Completely agree with the Snooki thing. It's just WWE trying to get some mainstream publicity. It's like prostitution if you ask me.

I'm a Rock fan through and through. I hope he destroys Cena, even though I think he is one of the best around.

Triple H is one of my faves, but the Undertaker won't ever lose and 'Mania. I just hope they can try and get somewhere near HBK and Takers matches over the past two years.

CheyElizabeth
03-29-2011, 05:41 PM
Today I watched The Rise And Fall Of WCW (http://www.amazon.com/WWE-Rise-Fall-WCW/dp/B0028X36EE) on Netflix. Worth watching, for people interested in some backstory (it's a bit spun, to be sure, but still informative).

I watched that too, along with all the other wrestling movies on Netflix. It's always fun seeing behind the scenes. Recently, I watched the Matt and Jeff Hardy one and it killed me finding out that Edge really did steal Matt's gf. WTF. I always knew I hated Edge for good reason.

Grrarrgh
03-29-2011, 11:36 PM
I watch sporadically. I'll be watching Wrestlemania this weekend, though. I wish I still watched it as much as I did 10 years ago, but I just don't. The writing and the storylines really fell off for me, and I had to stop. Mr Grr still watches, though, so I do keep up on who's who and what's what.

Shadow Dragon
04-02-2011, 02:53 AM
I've been watching since the mid nineties. I love pro-wrestling. It's true that the WWE isn't what it used to be, but it's still good. I really want to see Cena lose at Mania and get destroyed by the Rock. :D

On the Snooki thing, yeah, it was idiotic bringing her in. Though with any luck, Trish and Morrison will be in the ring like ninety nine percent of the time for that team.

Taker and Triple H should be good. I just hope neither of them have any ring rust, since they haven't wrestled on tv since coming back.

Mr Flibble
04-02-2011, 03:27 AM
I watch it too. I love trying to guess the storylines in advance. Plus half naked men. With baby oil.

Taker and Trips - a whole, awesome promo and neither of them said a word. Then this week, saying how great the other one was and using that to build tension rather than the usual 'You suck'. Great to see two pros showing the young 'uns up. :D Trips generally cracks me up anyway. Shawn too, especially in 'village idiot' mode. No way will Trips take Taker's streak from him (just because I reckon Taker will retire with it - that's his pinnacle, no one would take that from him), but it should be an awesome match.

I feel sorry for the younger guys tbh. They used to have an apprenticeship of sorts (anyone remember Trips copying everything that Shawn did to see what worked? Plus Intercontinental titles etc) Now they get bunged in to sink or swim too fast...and it shows.

Vampwriter
04-05-2011, 05:48 AM
I watch! :) LOVE it! Didn't get to see Wrestlemania yesterday...but watching RAW as I type! ;)

CheyElizabeth
04-05-2011, 05:53 PM
On the Snooki thing, yeah, it was idiotic bringing her in. Though with any luck, Trish and Morrison will be in the ring like ninety nine percent of the time for that team.

Can you believe what happened? JoMo and Ziggler didn't even get in the ring!! SO DISAPPOINTING.

But Taker/HHH was the best match of the night. Well worth it. Everything else was total suckage as far as I'm concerned. Last night's Raw was actually better than Wrestlemania :/

Vampwriter
04-05-2011, 06:20 PM
From everything I have heard I am kind of glad I didn't have the money to purchase WM Sunday...lol. Though I think I would have liked to have seen the Taker HHH match.

Mr Flibble
04-05-2011, 06:26 PM
But Taker/HHH was the best match of the night. :/
Not a huge shock :D

Santino was his usual self though which is always good. Natural born comedian, and a pretty good wrestler too.

And Snooki - is it me, or with those flips and stuff is she actually not too shabby (compared to the 'divas' they have who equate having a bitch fight - slaps and screams - with, you know, actual wrestling a la Lita, Victoria etc) I mean, hell, I watch the Wrestling with a bunch of leering blokes and even they ask to fast forward through the diva matches...

Bring back real female wrestlers! Who can wrestle good! ETA: I am available at reasonable rates :D

Grrarrgh
04-05-2011, 07:45 PM
But Taker/HHH was the best match of the night. Well worth it. :/

This match was so good. Definitely the highlight of the match for me. It was terrifying to watch - these 2 are giants, both in their mid-40s with the bones of 80 year old women - but such a good match.

dsire
04-05-2011, 08:38 PM
I was quite disappointed with Wrestlemania. They spend months building it up and then let you down. HHH/Taker was awesome, looking forward to a rematch there.

Feel cheated that the Rock and Cena are going to wait till next WM for their match. I suppose we won't see Rock again until March '12.