Not open for further replies.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
In my darker moments I wonder if this is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Tim can do it. Tim can do it. Tim can do it.

Maybe.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I predict that once Waterstones is sold, HMV will disappear from the highstreet within 12 months.

If anything like yesterday was to go by. My Dad had bought a DVD, by realised he had got the title wrong. I checked the price online £7.49 from HMV.com. In store? £20!

The best bit, was when the sales assistant tried to push him into taking a £10 giftcard instead of giving a refund. Did someone say Borders?

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
HMV appears to be trying to get out of the content business, now that that has moved largely online - they can't compete with Amazon on range or price (or indeed with downloads, legal and otherwise.) It seems they're trying to switch a lot of their space in stores to gadgets like iPods and iPod accessories.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
HMV was shut down in the US several years ago. They were pulled out of their store locations in a huge rush with little warning. Lots of people put out of work, and localities with few or no options, since the big store had already pushed out the older indies. Now there are no HMVs here. Yay, corporate decision-making.

Becca_H

Where am I again?
Registered
Reaction score
Problem I find is the Waterstones I've been in completely lack books. Every single one I've been in (where I live and central London) has had a YA section to laugh at. Two tiny shelves. Hardly anything there.

Kind of sad, really....

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com

Becca_H

Where am I again?
Registered
Reaction score
Ohh...interesting.

They do need to do something about the YA section. Two shelves (one exclusively paranormal) and everything else is shoved in together, and badly mixed. You can have a boys' MG fantasy next to a YA romance. It's like they have no idea how to shelve things.

Whereas B&N in the US (the ones I've been to, anyway): much bigger, properly organised. Authors with similar fan bases stored side-by-side.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I predict that once Waterstones is sold, HMV will disappear from the highstreet within 12 months.

It's amazing that HMV has lasted this long. Of all the old record chains, I would have given them the least chance of survival. They were always overpriced and poorly stocked.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Problem I find is the Waterstones I've been in completely lack books. Every single one I've been in (where I live and central London) has had a YA section to laugh at. Two tiny shelves. Hardly anything there.

Kind of sad, really....

My Waterstone's pushed my beloved horror [and sci-fi] upstairs, to make room for two book cases of 'dark romance.'

I know there is more to YA than teen-vamp lit, but just sayin'. :)

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I miss Andys. And Robins, which had the coolest record bags in Norwich.

Status
Not open for further replies.