PDA

View Full Version : Pilots and Jewelry

smcc360
03-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Military pilots and wedding rings, specifically. Would a fighter pilot wear a wedding ring while flying a mission? Is there some safety issue that would make them not want to, even if there's no regultion governing it?

Thanks! And now I'll close with the only flight-themed smiley I could find.:e2fairy:

Kitti
03-27-2011, 07:22 PM
What time period are we talking about? A military pilot should be wearing dog tags, I guess he could always put the ring on his dog tags if he wanted.

I personally don't wear rings doing any sort of physical activity because I have a nine-fingered friend. She lost the other finger while climbing a tree because her wedding ring got caught on something and ripped it off. Give your pilot a nine-fingered friend and healthy dose of paranoia - that should solve the problem :-)

Drachen Jager
03-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Wedding bands are generally worn by most trades in the military. I was an electronics tech and we took dog tags and wedding bands off when working with high voltage, but otherwise I don't know of any trades that was ever required to remove either.

smcc360
03-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Thanks, guys. The character is a pilot for a sci-fi analogue of the military, set in the present day with just-slightly futuristic technology. She's not bound by any specific organization's rules, but I want to keep it grounded in reality.

Aerial
03-27-2011, 09:51 PM
I don't know for certain, but my guess is that they would be advised or possibly required to remove wedding rings. Modern fighter pilots wear pressure suits designed to force blood away from their extremities and into their core under high g's to keep enough blood in their brains to avoid passing out. Swelling can be a physical response to pressure or changes in pressure, so I would expect a ring to be a risk for someone wearing a g-suit.

A quick google search netted anecdotal evidence that fighter pilot do, in fact, have to take them off, but no absolute proof I could point you to.

Aerial

smcc360
03-28-2011, 12:43 AM
Close enough. Even if it's untrue, it's plausible. Thanks, Aerial.