Your Own Unique Fashion Style?

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to start a thread of what you consider your own unique fashion style is? What do you find the most comfy to lie around in, go out in, go walk the dog in, and what makes you feel good that you don't give a shit what others think?

I am curious... because I know there has to be other comfort clothes out there other than worn jeans and baggy sweats. What's fashionable?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For knocking about, a pair of khakis, a sports shirt, and a pair of Rockports. In cooler weather, add a light jacket and/or a sweater.

SinisterCola

The Caffeine Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Back in college, I wore sweatpants with a t-shirt over a long sleeve shirt. Obviously I would adjust for weather.

Now I'm a polo and slacks kind of guy (usually for work). More casual environments it's a polo/jeans. Unless it's hot, I also wear a long sleeve shirt underneath as well.

In general I wear dark, cool colors.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One thing I've changed in the past few years is not wearing jeans in cold weather. Cotton denim (unless lined) is probably the worse article of clothing for cold weather.

Last edited:

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
I wear a lot of leggings and skirts, and long shirts that I like to pass off as "dresses" with knee high boots, or my lovely worn out uggs I never see getting rid of. And yes, I do this a lot in the summertime too. They are comfort clothes.

liahabel

Zombie Anthropologist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.liahabel.com
Around the house I wear pajamas-that-can-transition-outside, like sweats with a tank top and a shrug.

When I travel, and when it's hot, I wear things young women typically wear - jean skirts, cute tops, sundresses, etc.

When I'm at events or somewhere special, I either go full Victorian (storage for one's bustle cage is tricky in the 21st century!) or kinda-goth kinda-1940s (pencil skirts, fascinators, pumps).

I always wear wigs, so I change my hair color and style every day.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Well, seeing as it's normally hot where I live, my most common wear is shorts and a T-shirt. The T-shirts usually have funny phrases or slogans on them (I'm wearing one right now which says "I Don't Do Mornings") and the shorts just need to be the right length (around the knee area).

I don't really consider these "comfort clothes"... To be honest, the most comfortable thing I've ever worn is a black cotton skirt. But a guy wearing a skirt down where I live is just asking for trouble. Sad, but true.

In the winter, I still wear T-shirts most of the time (never long sleeves - I hate long sleeved shirts, T or otherwise) but usually with a black jacket. Not any material I know the name of, but kind of silky-smooth, and doesn't heat you up extensively. Considering it's never snow weather here, and most places blast the heating during winter, a thin jacket is perfect, and then if necessary I can take it off and just sit there in a T-shirt. For most of winter, I wear black dress pants, which I prefer over shorts. But I don't wear them as often as I'd like, as it is usually too hot for most of the year.

Most of my clothes are black, harking back to my pseudo-gothic days. When it's raining, I have this cute little black umbrella, which I love and bought for $2. Total win.

I wear glasses all the time, except when in bed or in the shower. I wear a silver-plated steel watch except when in the shower. Sometimes I wear a pentagram necklace, harking back to my Pagan days (I'm an atheist now though, but I still like pentagrams).

I don't own any sweatpants or jeans. I think sweats make me look silly, and jeans don't feel very comfortable to me.

So really, all my wardrobe is comfort wear, I suppose - not specifically because it feels comfortable, but because I feel more confident when wearing evidence of my own unique style.

But seriously, the world needs to get less judgemental and violent, so I can wear skirts without fear. Most comfortable thing I've ever worn. It let's air in on hot days, but looks better than shorts. It can keep you warm on cold days to some extent, but you don't overheat. I don't see why it should only be girls who get to wear them.

But hey, I'm a trendsetter. ;)

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Trousers and tops. Always made of cotton. Thin in summer, layers in Autumn/Winter. Sandles or light shoes in summer, boots in winter. For slobbing in the house I wear leggings/tops or sometimes a kaftan. Always made of cotton.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Red suit with white fur trim, red stocking cap, black boots. Long, fluffy white beard and mustache, rosy cheeks. A little round belly that shakes when I laugh, like a bowl full of jelly.

Not much to look at, really, but I have a reputation for being quite generous at Christmas time.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a relief to have reached the age where I won't even consider buying clothes which aren't comfortable.

I do a lot of long skirts paired with knit shirts and sandals in warm weather, with leggings, high boots, and sweaters in cold. I also have too many pairs of black yoga pants which are so supremely comfortable that I've come to dislike 'real' pants and jeans, which I used to find comfortable enough. I wear them with knit tops or sweaters all year round.

And if I'm inside, I'm barefoot, even if my feet are cold, which at this moment they are.

Maryn, friendly eccentric

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, good question. What is fashion?

I wear mostly jeans because I work from home. Sneakers, since I like to go for walks and need comfortable shoes. Sweaters in winter.

In the summer I like to wear sundresses; they're very comfortable. I also like those one piece things that are part dress/part shorts, not sure what they're called.

Yes, as Maryn stated, if I'm indoors I like to be barefoot-- or wear fuzzy slippers. I find shoes very uncomfortable.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
Well, out of the house I'm slightly gothy, slightly nerdy, slightly steampunky and slightly like I just walked out of a film about the apocalypse, depending on the day. At weekends I like to make a bit more of a production of it, even if I'm just wandering around the shops.

Inside though- half the time I just wear whats comfy and clean.

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
I would love to go to work in my baggy worn out leggings and a big ass tshirt but I'd probably either get fired or sent home to change. Sheesh... See, this is why I want to be a writer so I can stay home, work, and be comfy all at the same time! But no... I have to be business "casual" -- which ultimately means I HAVE to wear underwear and high heels (because I'm short.)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I wear a lot of yoga pants. Usually black. And black tops, or colorful ones if they strike me as bohemian or unusual in a way I like. Or dressier, comfy, grey or black pants with plain shirts in solid colors. I wear cargo-type capris in the summer in the yard with a couple of layered tank tops or yoga camisoles.

So I'm usually in black or looking like I'm going to the gym. Which I am, often, so it works out ;)

And I'm barefoot even in the snow, baby. I wasn't allowed to wear shoes outside as a kid (you'd have to know my grandfather)! I kinda hate shoes, although I have a big thing for awesome boots :)

authorgirl1485

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
In case you couldn't tell from my avatar, I like dresses and ballerina slippers...It makes me feel like a fairy.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
"Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months." - Oscar Wilde

I buy almost all my clothes from these guys - http://www.rohan.co.uk/ They're a travel clothing company, and their clothes are all immensely practical, light, hard wearing, quick drying and really comfortable. I think they look pretty good too, but that's a minor concern for me. I don't do fashion.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Jeans and t-shirts. Usually with a baggy fleece on seeing a Britain never seems to get above twelve degrees. I'm with Jimmy in not doing fashion.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
My style involves a hairstyle that looks like I've fallen into a hedge shortly after attending a 1985 Mr Mister concert, bought a job lot of unflattering Matalan jeans, steeped a pair of running shoes in a motorway service station forecourt puddle, added an undistinguished Chinese factory sweatshirt and topped it off with flesh unexposed to the sun since Martin Amis had his teeth fixed.

ConChron

Registered
Reaction score
Website
a-muse-or-amuse.blogspot.com
I stopped being unique after the 80's.
Nowadays I mostly wear leggings and a tunic when I'm at home, and jeans and a blouse when I go out. Frustratingly, I can't find a translation for the clothes I wear when I'm outdoors in the winter.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Does the duct tape around my work boots count as fashion or style?
I'm more of a function kind of person.