Characters from 1837

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
I'm researching something (actually its a story I've mentioned here several times now) and am still looking for references to characters from Regency and Victorian fiction. My story takes place at a manor house called Leon Abbey (which references a Gothic novel of the period called Saint Leon). The squire of the estate is named Usher, with the notion that this is the original family whose American branch went extinct (as chronicled by Edgar Allan Poe). His widow, and her brother who is the local Perpetual Curate, are the children of the main characters in Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey. A local physician is named Grice-Patterson, from a reference to an "unrecorded case" by Sherlock Holmes (presumably involving this person's children). The butler at the estate is a Mr. Lovett, rumored to have abandoned his wife in London for her horrible cooking (a la Sweeney Todd). The housekeeper is a Miss Jemryn, a spinster cousin of the baronet's late mother (and she is a reference to an H.P.Lovecraft tale "Facts Concerning the Lake Sir Arthur Jemryn and His Family"). Likewise other characters reference other works of the period--including A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. There are also a few persons who might conceivably be seen as referring to people in either the Horatio Hornblower or Richard Sharpe series. Possibly.

I'm trying to think of other works of the period from which to draw names or references. Any help would be much appreciated. :D