Off site backup - free stuff

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
I wanted to share some things for those nervous about losing their stuff...like me.

One little hard drive crash and everything's gone...ya know?

Anyway...

I got sick of bloated, over complicated, too-many-features word processors and searched high and low for something new; something simple for fiction writing. I mean...it's just words on a page...

Well, High didn't have anything but on Low I found PolyEdit Light. There are a lot of things I like about this little gem but one of its best features is the autobackup. Everytime you save your work it sends a second copy to a specified drive.

Enter net drive...

NetDrive is a nice little utility that uses an FTP feature to mount a website like a drive. It opens with all the folders and files on your site, instant! Well almost instant. Its slower than local, naturally.

But here's the thing...with the drive letter I was able to tell PolyEdit to save the backup to S:\ uh...which I gave it 'cuz its the site. But now I automatically back up my work to my site every time I save it. If my house burns down (for a third time) and destroys my computer I still have my work.

:D

Well, I thought it was cool.

Some technical ability might be required.

Another little item that works well with PolyEdit, and every other window you have open, is WordWeb, a fast and convenient dictionary and thesaurus that will look up any word on your desk top that you right click on while holding the control key.

These are all free for home use and personal favorites of mine. If you are feed up with WORD looking for a change then may these work well for you.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Drop box is in the clouds, but the dropbox site could have a major crash as well. It always pays to have multiple back up systems...

Email your files to a secondary email account, at least once a week.
Zip or Scan Disk,
CD Roms,
External hard drives...

I have lost too many things due to failure of my primary source, plus the secondary source. Files get corrupted too I might add from writing over them too many times, so save in new files from time to time...

A pound of prevention is worth its weight in gold.

enigmahfc

Registered
Reaction score
External Hard drive, thumb drive, email, drop box, and my wife's computer in addition to my own. I really hope I have my bases covered.