PDA

View Full Version : The Eagle

gothicangel
03-26-2011, 02:56 AM
Anyone else seen this yet?

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
03-26-2011, 04:23 AM
No I was waiting to hear exactly how bad Tatum was. And how much of the movie does he spend shirtless (really, why else see it?)?:evil

gothicangel
03-26-2011, 01:53 PM
No I was waiting to hear exactly how bad Tatum was. And how much of the movie does he spend shirtless (really, why else see it?)?:evil

I actually really enjoyed it. A proper film, with a proper story for a change.

The only thing that grated on me was Picts speaking Scottish Gaelic.

Thesaintterrapin
03-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Watched it last night.

If i'm honest it wasn't too bad, not sure what i was expecting, not a patch on Gladiator though.

Started off ok, the portrayal of the Fort on Hadrians wall was pretty good and they seemd to have got the Roman drill and tactics correct.

Not sure anyone new what accent they were supposed to be using.

Being British and the film set in Britain, and yes i know Latin was the language spoken by Romano British, but i thought the American accent wasn't appropriate.

Maybe a Brit, European, African or Middle Eastern accent would have been better as Romans came from all over the Empire.

The area shown where Marcus recuperated after his leg injury (Calleva) was in reality a large town rather than a villa by a lake, (this i know as i'm lucky enough to live 5 miles from the remains of Calleva Atrebatum, which has substantial rermains) this is just a personal winge though.

The native tribes were quite good, regardless of authenticity, although they did remind me a bit of the Mohawk tribe in Last of the Monicans.

IMO this was the best part of the film.

What spoilt it for me the most was the very last scene when they presented the Eagle to the elders.

As they walked out with a "what you going to do now" all it needed was to end with a freeze frame as they jumped in the air with a high five.

All that said i did enjoy it and think it worth a watch.

gothicangel
03-26-2011, 04:52 PM
What spoilt it for me the most was the very last scene when they presented the Eagle to the elders.

As they walked out with a "what you going to do now" all it needed was to end with a freeze frame as they jumped in the air with a high five.

All that said i did enjoy it and think it worth a watch.

Yeah, that made me cringe.

I have to say in the Orkney scenes, I really couldn't tell who's side Esca was on. That to me is great writing.

I remember my Mam getting the book out of the library for me when I was young. Can't remember if I read it though. I'll have to pop into Waterstone's to pick up a copy.

Histry Nerd
03-27-2011, 06:42 AM
I enjoyed it immensely. It's the first movie I've seen that actually tried to get the Britons and Picts right.

I got hung up a little on the Seal People--but really, who's to say a stone-age culture couldn't have persisted in the far north as late as the second century?

The fact that all the peoples of the island spoke the same language bugged me a little, as did the deserters coming out of hiding after twenty years and being able to whip two or three times their number of war-loving twenty-year-olds.

But other than that, I really enjoyed it. I've recommended it to several friends.

Have a great night!
HN

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
03-27-2011, 12:45 PM
It seems a lot like Centurion, the Fassbender movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiQCofKrYAI

Anyone seen that one who can offer a comparison?

seun
03-27-2011, 03:02 PM
It seems a lot like Centurion, the Fassbender movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiQCofKrYAI

Anyone seen that one who can offer a comparison?

I've only seen the trailer for The Eagle but that was my first impression, as well.

dpaterso
03-27-2011, 03:47 PM
UK Film4 channel showed a 10-minute "Eagle Special" yesterday around 1pm, in between movies. "Director Kevin Macdonald and actors Jamie Bell and Channing Tatum discuss making the ancient Roman action adventure," says the TV guide (http://www.tvguide.co.uk/) blurb. Quite interesting. Can't find it on YouTube but plenty of other interview clips there.

-Derek

kborsden
03-28-2011, 03:02 AM
It seems overly symbolic to me - almost as if the director wanted to do something that may be a social commentary on current world events, ie. the Romans as the US and UK Armed Forces in Afganistan and Iraq...

There seems to be an over apparent degree of Homoeroticism too.

Zoombie
03-28-2011, 04:19 AM

You say that as if it were a bad thing!

jennontheisland
03-28-2011, 04:23 AM
I've only seen the trailer for The Eagle but that was my first impression, as well.
Yup.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
03-28-2011, 07:18 AM
There seems to be an over apparent degree of Homoeroticism too.There goes my last excuse...I guess now I'll have to see it.

kborsden
03-28-2011, 03:26 PM
You say that as if it were a bad thing!

No - I didn't mean it that way...but sometimes it can detract from what a story wants to tell. The book is more geared toward attitudes and routines with great emphasis on how these influence the tiny details within the lives of the period -- we are so far removed from the classical trail of thought nowadays that I find it hard to believe enough people will be able to attach enough understanding and associated acknowledgement of the importance of the Eagle and the symbolism that surrounds it and is ingrained in the characters by the standards of today's ideals if those aspects are overshadowed by such abundance in homoeroticism.

There goes my last excuse...I guess now I'll have to see it.

Yup...

Victoria
03-29-2011, 02:41 AM
I love that word, homoeroticism. Gives me goosebumps...in a good way.

gothicangel
03-30-2011, 09:48 PM

I didn't get that at all. I remember when people said that about Lord of the Rings. I just saw the story for what it was.

gothicangel
03-30-2011, 09:49 PM
UK Film4 channel showed a 10-minute "Eagle Special" yesterday around 1pm, in between movies. "Director Kevin Macdonald and actors Jamie Bell and Channing Tatum discuss making the ancient Roman action adventure," says the TV guide (http://www.tvguide.co.uk/) blurb. Quite interesting. Can't find it on YouTube but plenty of other interview clips there.

-Derek

Here it is:

http://www.film4.com/videos/article/film4-the-eagle-special

~Athena~
04-06-2011, 12:40 AM
I loved it. Thought it was really good and the history was excellent. Also when they started speaking Irish - (well I guess it was a mix of Scots gaelic and Irish because slave is different in Irish, however Scots Gaelic derives from middle irish.) - Anyway I had a spasm because I didn't need the subtitles, I could understand!
Also, in relation to what Histry Nerd said, they actually did speak languages really similar to each other due to trade etc.
Hearing my language spoke in a big movie made my day.
Jamie Bell was amazing in it, he really was excellent.
The sights were stunning and I loved the costumes.
I also loved the directors style of realism and gritty, in the moment action. The fight scenes were great.
And finally, I didn't think Tatum was THAT bad, I mean if you want bad - turn on Disney Channel.
Anyway I really enjoyed both the movie and the book :)

gothicangel
04-08-2011, 12:41 AM
I loved it. Thought it was really good and the history was excellent. Also when they started speaking Irish - (well I guess it was a mix of Scots gaelic and Irish because slave is different in Irish, however Scots Gaelic derives from middle irish.) - Anyway I had a spasm because I didn't need the subtitles, I could understand!
Also, in relation to what Histry Nerd said, they actually did speak languages really similar to each other due to trade etc.
Hearing my language spoke in a big movie made my day.
Jamie Bell was amazing in it, he really was excellent.
The sights were stunning and I loved the costumes.
I also loved the directors style of realism and gritty, in the moment action. The fight scenes were great.
And finally, I didn't think Tatum was THAT bad, I mean if you want bad - turn on Disney Channel.
Anyway I really enjoyed both the movie and the book :)

I actually went and saw it again last night, it was even better the second time round. :tongue I've never done that before, may be tempted to go back again next week . . .

It's available for pre-order of Amazon [21st June] in the US. So I'm getting it on import - it's costing me 35!

~Athena~
04-20-2011, 04:22 AM
I actually went and saw it again last night, it was even better the second time round. :tongue I've never done that before, may be tempted to go back again next week . . .

It's available for pre-order of Amazon [21st June] in the US. So I'm getting it on import - it's costing me 35!

Oooh! *scuttles off to Amazon*

gothicangel
04-20-2011, 12:09 PM
I also have the shooting script if anyone is interested (including original ending, which will be in the deleted scenes on the DVD.)

http://www.youblisher.com/p/27004-X/

Captain Scarf
04-21-2011, 01:28 AM
Has anyone read the book (The Eagle of the Ninth) on which the film is based?

It was one of those books I was supposed to read as a child but never did. I think I should probably read it before I see the film.

gothicangel
04-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Has anyone read the book (The Eagle of the Ninth) on which the film is based?

It was one of those books I was supposed to read as a child but never did. I think I should probably read it before I see the film.

I actually read the book after seeing the film, and I love both.

I think it's a good adaption of a 60 year old book. They couldn't have had Marcus and Esca fleeing all the way back to Hadrian's Wall as they do in the book. A modern audience expects a pay-off, Marcus had to turn around and face those who had killed his father. If he hadn't he would have been as much of a coward as he was accusing Guern of being.

The book is a classic 'boys own.' Very much of its time, reminds me of John Buchan and Robert Louis Stevenson.

Captain Scarf
04-22-2011, 06:20 AM
. . .reminds me of John Buchan and Robert Louis Stevenson.

Sounds like it might be worth a read then. I love John Buchan.

Histry Nerd
04-22-2011, 08:57 AM

Thanks, Athena. I had always imagined there would be a bigger difference between north and south, for all they were both Celtic tongues.

Of course, I've watched a Dane and a Norwegian converse, each in his own language, and understand each other. Would it be something like that?

Have a great weekend!
HN

gothicangel
04-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Thanks, Athena. I had always imagined there would be a bigger difference between north and south, for all they were both Celtic tongues.

Of course, I've watched a Dane and a Norwegian converse, each in his own language, and understand each other. Would it be something like that?

Have a great weekend!
HN

There is an interview somewhere on youtube where Kevin MacDonald says they did consider using old Welsh [which was closer to Pictish] but worried that it would confuse the audience. Why are they speaking Welsh in ancient Scotland? So they decided on Gaelic, which is a great coup for the language.

I would imagine language would need to function on a level so that the tribes would be able to trade with each other. So yes, I would say something like that. :)

I was talking to yesterday said that they should have had the Romans speaking Latin in the film (as the did in Passion.) Firstly I pointed out that the Romans didn't speak Church Latin, and no-one knows what Classical Latin sounds like. Secondly, that's all I would have needed the Celts/Picts speaking Gaelic and Donald Sutherland/Channing Tatum speaking Latin. Then think of poor Jamie Bell.

I did think it was a smart move to emphasise the fact that Marcus didn't understand what the Picts were saying though. Although I do suspect he knew exactly what the Seal Chief said about his father.

dpaterso
04-22-2011, 12:43 PM
The script reads well, thanks for posting that link.

-Derek

gothicangel
06-20-2011, 12:15 PM
I found this website containing images that were censored from the US theatrical release to gain a 12a rating [but are contained in the DVD unrated release]

Certain images are graphic, I was even surprised by one [having seen the unrated version numerous times in the UK.]

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=775448

gothicangel
06-21-2011, 04:28 PM
I liked the opening half hour or so, but the middle is so much like a North American Indian film you lose all sense of the time period. I agree with the former reviewers comments, Gee, if the Britains lived like this why bother with them.

The problem is, that it is a representation of Pictish tribes. Very little is known about the Pictish tribes of the 2nd century AD. All that is known is what Pliny wrote, but there is nothing about how they looked.

What MacDonald has gone for is a representation that a modern audience with automatically understand as the other in terms of post-colonial cinema.

And because I'm writing a piece for publication in a journal on the film, it actually has stronger connections to Conrad's The Heart of Darkness than Last of the Mohicians IMO.

Diana Hignutt
06-29-2011, 10:08 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the film. I was surprised. Tatum did his best acting yet (not saying a lot, I know). And Jamie Bell was super. I didn't recognize Mark Strong until after it was over.

gothicangel
07-01-2011, 03:16 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the film. I was surprised. Tatum did his best acting yet (not saying a lot, I know). And Jamie Bell was super. I didn't recognize Mark Strong until after it was over.

I recommend a film called A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints, a brutal watch, but quite an explosive performance from Channing.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
08-01-2011, 08:08 AM
Finally got around to watching this. Not bad. But if I'd written the second half, the plot would have gone in a completely different direction.

And what was up with that ending? Was this the start of a series? "The Adventures of Marcus and Esca"?

gothicangel
08-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Finally got around to watching this. Not bad. But if I'd written the second half, the plot would have gone in a completely different direction.

And what was up with that ending? Was this the start of a series? "The Adventures of Marcus and Esca"?

It's supposed to be a trilogy. The next books The Silver Branch and The Lantern Bearers follows Marcus' descendants. Though Kevin MacDonald has said he has no interest in directing any sequels.

I have actually worn out the DVD I had imported from the US. Had to buy the UK edition last week [to be fair, the DVD I imported contained some serious scratches that only got worse . . .] :tongue