Advise: outside word count for "epic" crossover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhonda9080

Registered
Reaction score
I posted questions in the novel forum, but thought I'd check with romance writers. First time (novel), writer with nonfic published background, 300k. Just got word from an agency that they'd look - if I cut by 100k. That's still 200k. Sooo, what is the potential for sale for a geo-political thriller with a romance/erotica as main plot at 200k? Its an odd book... :Shrug:
I'm just wondering if I should plan on even more severe cuts? Less stringent? This is a larger agency, but didn't say they'd take on - just have another look.
Advise?
Note: this book could never by cut down to strict genre romance - I might as well write a different book. Male MC's voice most prominent. They called it a "crossover" with mainstream fic.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Colleen Lindsay, who was an agent until recently, posted this on her blog. It's very sound advice on word counts. She's been in publishing for a long time and knows her stuff.

Word Count

Rhonda9080

Registered
Reaction score
Colleen Lindsay, who was an agent until recently, posted this on her blog. It's very sound advice on word counts. She's been in publishing for a long time and knows her stuff.

Word Count

Hey! Hey! You rock!!! That was THE article I needed to read. I've been searching around all day for why the 100k. My (former) huge word count by computer (well, I'm just going :Shrug:). But by x250 per page, 240k right now - w/o new load of edits. I'm closer than I think! Dang! Hot-damn!!!!
Thank you!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.