• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Beta Reader for first 100 pages of dark (somewhat comedic) drama

Status
Not open for further replies.

M. Scott

2024 will be my year!
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm looking to see if anyone out there would be willing to read the first 100 pages of my current work, HIT THAT*, which focuses heavily on the adult film industry, HIV, sexual identity, depression, and some other rather weighted topics. If one does not want to give a line-by-line critique and only point out general errors or provide reactions, that is fine with me. In exchange, I would be willing to do the same for another, preferrably for a darker, more adult work.

My current situation is as such - I have not had an offer of representation, although a judge at the Fargo Film Festival (obviously not the biggest event), has opted to turn one of my unpublished manuscripts into a film, although with a limited budget. As filming doesn't start for another 6 weeks, I refuse to count it as a writing credit until I see it available, at least on Amazon.

In the world of querying, I have not had significant success or requests for partials. My works are generally subversive and don't emulate trends. Most responses have been positive, but still a rejection. Either the market is tough to penetrate, my skills aren't admirable, or a combination of the two (that or I am poor at marketing my work).

Past beta readers are people I know personally and they have given my other work higher marks, saying it gets 95 out of 100 or was "Incredibly easy to visualize." Perhaps the best review I got was from a college professor saying "This reads like a blend of Bret Easton Ellis and Leslie Marmon Silko."

Despite these reviews, I want someone who I do not personally know to take a look and point out any flaws that others may to too friendly to point out. That and there is inherently a bias in reading work from someone with whom one is familiar.

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.