Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
[Moved from another thread]

I took my AW ten-minute play and expanded it. I'm pleased with the result, although I'd like to do one more draft to polish it to a luster. But then what?

My local equity theater hosts an annual one-act contest with free entry. Winners receive a script-in-hand performance and a modest honorarium, I think $50. Naturally, I've just missed the deadline for this year.

In seeking other contests, I've got a dilemma. I've found several with requirements this play meets, but they all have entry fees not in keeping with the guidelines of the Dramatists Guild of America for contests (i.e., the monetary prize for the winner must be at least 100 times the amount of the fee). Most appear to be non-equity theaters, either associated with a college or with a community theater.

The fees range from $15 to $40 per contest entry. Some offer feedback from judges, but most either don't or demand a higher entry fee for comments. The prize for the winners ranges from three times the fee to forty times the fee--way short of the DGA recommendation.

I can afford the fees, but is it worth the effort and expense to enter such contests? Or should I just polish and sit on it until my no-fee local equity theater's contest next year?

Your opinions, please? Some of the deadlines are approaching fast.

Maryn, who expected more opportunities

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Was one of the one you considered the National Ten-Minute Play Contest?

Edited to add: I just visited the Actors Theatre website. Apparently they are no longer sponsoring the National Ten-Minute Play Contest, although City Theatre has something called "Summer Shorts". I found their explanation a bit confusing.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My expanded play runs about 40 minutes, so no. (But thanks for the reply. When I asked in another thread, I got a whole lot of silence.)

Maryn, cat-sitting

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh. I didn't understand you had expanded it THAT much. ;-)

If it's a full-length play, I would forget contests (unless you just happen to hear of one that fits your requirement), and instead submit it to one of the playhouses that accept full-length plays without an agent (or, sometimes, they accept an outline and a sample of the play)

Do you have any small theaters in your area that you have contacts with? There are a few in my area (that do professional productions); if I ever finish a full-length play that I actually think is good enough to be produced, I might use my limited contacts to submit it to one of those theaters for consideration.

If I ever write a full-length comedy play, I might submit it to a local dinner theater. It couldn't be much worse than some of the ones they've put on (it's a nice place to go for dinner and be entertained, but I don't think they're looking for the next Eugene O'Neill).

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It falls into a grey area, a long one-act. I suppose I could look into the other local theatres, not just the equity.

Or sit on it for nearly a year. I'm like that sometimes.

Maryn, who holds out for the best she can do, to her detriment

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I have a 2010 copy of Screenwriter's and Playwright's Market (published in 2009) around here somewhere . . . if only I could find it.

You might see if your local library has a copy. I don't think there's a 2011 edition.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good idea. I happen to live two blocks from the library, so naturally I rarely go there.

Maryn, lazy-ass

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
Fees for contests

I agree with the policy of the Dramatists Guild of America on the matter of fees. I am pretty much opposed to submitting a play to any group that demands a fee.

Doug B

Registered
Reaction score
The problem with a one act is that many theaters are not doing them anymore. The problem is not finding a one act play that I like but having to find two or three that go together to make a good night of theater. I have several one act plays that interest me - some contemporary and some old plays. The trouble is that I don't have enough that go together.

I have also had trouble because the royalty houses often require that all one acts done in a night be by the same playwright.

I have done three one acts that come as a package deal with some success. "Win, Lose or Draw" comes to mind.

Just my two cents worth

Doug

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Worth a lot more than two cents, Doug. I can easily imagine a pretty jarring evening of three or four one-acts which are not well-matched. Thanks for the input.

Maryn, who hasn't touched the play in a couple of weeks now