PDA

View Full Version : Edits to MS

FictionChick
03-24-2011, 10:41 PM
So, I submitted a full to an agent about a month ago, and I set the MS aside (because I'd been working on it for so long my vision was fuzzy). Just yesterday I picked it back up and found some minor typos. Should I offer to resubmit a revised MS? Or does it not matter at this point?

Chris P
03-24-2011, 10:43 PM
From what I've seen others say, fix the errors for future submissions to other agents but don't resubmit. Minor typos are not likely to get you rejected if they are the only problem.

FictionChick
03-24-2011, 10:51 PM
Thanks, Chris. I figured as much. But I feel like the agent has a "polluted" version of my MS, and I need her to know I noticed the typos!!!

Chris P
03-24-2011, 10:54 PM
I saw in another thread you got full requests even though you spelled your book title wrong. What more permission do you need to relax? :) Agents are people too, they're forgiving of little stuff like that.

FictionChick
03-24-2011, 10:58 PM
LOL! Yeah, I guess you're right. My face still gets hot when I think about that one, by the way. :)

Purple Rose
03-25-2011, 06:10 AM
As ChrisP pointed out, what permission do you need to relax after getting a full despite spelling your title wrongly? Do what most AWers would, clean up the typos for your next submission onwards. What is out there remains the way it is.

With all the fairy dust on your hair, I can't believe you even thought to start this thread :-)

Please post an update once you get signed on. It's even ok to tell us you've got twelve agents chasing you and to ask for help with choosing what's best for you.

FictionChick
03-26-2011, 12:57 AM
Purple Rose - Man, I feel like I'm going to be a major let-down when I'm rejected by all the agents and the fairy dust in my hair turns out to really just be... dust. ;)

Jamesaritchie
03-26-2011, 09:21 PM
You shouldn't even read a manuscript after you send it out. Forget all about it, and get to work on the next book. The idea is to have a second book ready to go well before you know the fate of the first book.

Becca C.
03-27-2011, 02:08 AM
You shouldn't even read a manuscript after you send it out. Forget all about it, and get to work on the next book. The idea is to have a second book ready to go well before you know the fate of the first book.

I definitely agree with this. Don't read it after you've sent it out, it will only drive you crazy! Busy yourself with a new project.

PinkAmy
03-27-2011, 05:36 PM
You shouldn't even read a manuscript after you send it out.

I disagree. I had 3 partials rejected so I went back to my MS to figure out why I wasn't drawing the agents into my MS. I asked 2 people who I respect to give me their opinions (ty Liz and Melissa) and I got some wonderful ideas that my other betas never mentioned. Since then I changed a few chapters around, cut out a few things and now I have a much better manuscript (or I will when I finish the last re-edits).

FictionChick
03-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Hmm. Well, I guess I could set it aside and not look at it until I receive some feedback or a helpful rejection.

Becca C.
03-28-2011, 04:54 AM
I disagree. I had 3 partials rejected so I went back to my MS to figure out why I wasn't drawing the agents into my MS. I asked 2 people who I respect to give me their opinions (ty Liz and Melissa) and I got some wonderful ideas that my other betas never mentioned. Since then I changed a few chapters around, cut out a few things and now I have a much better manuscript (or I will when I finish the last re-edits).

I think what James meant -- what I meant, at least -- was not to read the manuscript while you're still waiting for responses. Definitely read it to analyze why rejections are piling up, but if you feel like changing stuff while you're still waiting on replies, it's just going to cause you strife.

Susan Littlefield
03-28-2011, 05:58 AM
I disagree. I had 3 partials rejected so I went back to my MS to figure out why I wasn't drawing the agents into my MS. I asked 2 people who I respect to give me their opinions (ty Liz and Melissa) and I got some wonderful ideas that my other betas never mentioned. Since then I changed a few chapters around, cut out a few things and now I have a much better manuscript (or I will when I finish the last re-edits). Amy,

James is right on. Your manuscript should be polished and ready to go before sending out. The point is that opinions of beta readers and/or critique groups and full edits need to be done before the manuscript is queried. While you are waiting on queries, it should be set aside while you work on another project.

Believe me, I know this from an experience similar to yours. It's harder to go back and make those changes while in the query process than to just make sure everything is as polished and ready to go in the first place.

It's all a learning process.

scope
03-28-2011, 08:23 AM
In my opinon James and Susan have gven you perfect advice. Start (or continue) your next work and only look back upon the submitted work if and when rejects pile up or you get no replies at all.