skinny-dipping/fire on the beach

ChelseyBlair

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chelseyblair.com
A group of kids enrolled in a summer college-prep program are caught on the beach having built a fire. My MC and her boyfriend are skinny-dipping.

What'll happen to them? Will they be taken into custody? Who will be called?

None of them have parents in town, though my MC's brother is. Would he be called? What if she's the only one under 18?

They're in Massachusetts, right outside of Boston

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
A group of kids enrolled in a summer college-prep program are caught on the beach having built a fire. My MC and her boyfriend are skinny-dipping.

What'll happen to them? Will they be taken into custody? Who will be called? Quincy or Revere they'd be arrested, charged with the fire and indecency. In Revere, they'd probably be lucky to last long enough for the police to show up. And they're clothes would almost be guaranteed to be stolen. Personally I don't buy the scenario that any kid would be dumb enough to do this until they get up to Ipswich or down onto Cape Cod. There they'd probably be talked to, told to throw out the beer, and disappear before the cops come back.

None of them have parents in town, though my MC's brother is. Would he be called? What if she's the only one under 18? Age of majority for the police in Massachusetts is 17.

They're in Massachusetts, right outside of Boston

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

GregS

Registered
Reaction score
What happens? A guy comes out of the bushes wearing a hockey mask and wielding a machete. He somehow chases them without running and does away with them in comically gory form.

Or, I guess, if that's not what you're going for...based on my *ahem* extensive experience as the kids, as well as doing ride-along with cop-cousins, if they're minors they will be taken into custody and their parents will be called. They will not be "locked up," but will have to sit at the station and wait for an adult to arrive. If they're adults, they'll get tickets for indecent exposure, being in a park after hours, and the illegal fire.

If she's the only minor, they'll probably both be held but only her parents will be called (cops like to make the boyfriend face the girl's father).

Ultimately, who they call will be a result of what info the kids give the cops. If it's the brother's info, he'll be the one called...but if a guy shows up to bail the kids out who's barely older than the kids, the cops will give him hell--automatically assuming that the brother was called to avoid punishment.

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing I have to add is this: the water is SOOOOOOOOOOO cold!! I'm really skinny so maybe it's just me, but in July, in the afternoon, on a sunny day, I'll go swimming with my aunt in Cape Cod and the water will be freezing. I'm assuming that since they built a fire that it's night so the water's even colder. Again, this all maybe just my perception. Some people can stand the cold waters, or not even be cold. :Shrug:Just something to think about.

Also, I have a fear of sharks, and every year before my family goes up to Cape Cod, there is always a sighting the week before we go. Sharks feed at night. Again, I'm a noob and I know others might not be bothered by this.

My two cents.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
One time in Ocean Shores, WA a bunch of us underage kids were caught out in the pre-dawn hours before curfew ended (???) and the cop made us follow him to his house and we had to sit in our car outside in his driveway until curfew was over (around 7 AM?). I know this isn't Boston area, but I thought it was charming of him to do that, instead of arresting us or something. He's also the first person I ever heard use the phrase 'colder than a...'.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
'colder than a...'

. . . witch's mammary?

. . . well-digger's bottom?

. . . snowman's testicles?

None of that stuff for kids in Montana. We "hot-potted," skinny dips in thermal pools all over the state, but many along the upper Yellowstone River.

The night deputy flashed lights and sounded the siren a long way off so we could get clothes on and beer hidden. If we were gone by the time he came back, there was no harm, no foul.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Cheif Brody will be so happy that nobody got eaten by a shark that he'll let them go with a warning: "Stay out of the water!"
They will be so busy mocking him that they'll crash their car.

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
Cheif Brody will be so happy that nobody got eaten by a shark that he'll let them go with a warning: "Stay out of the water!"
They will be so busy mocking him that they'll crash their car.

:roll:

Kitti

procrastinatrix
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katotis.com
A group of kids enrolled in a summer college-prep program

Are they still on the college's campus? Real cops and campus cops would probably treat this situation differently. My freshman year, my roommate's 16-year-old brother came to visit us and got caught out in the woods by the lake, drinking and smoking marijuana. All they charged him with was "breaking curfew." They did call his parents and leave a message, but then they called the room - my roommate was out - and arranged for me to take custody of him. They even dropped him off at the front of the dorm and by then I'd found my roommate so she actually signed for him.

BarbaraKE

Registered
Reaction score
I really can't offer any practical information but I just wanted to say your title brought back memories...

I never got caught.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Hope it's a Cape Cod beach, south side, or south of the Cape toward Rhode Island. Otherwise, that water is damn cold. I have done what you said in Buzzards Bay (which is on the south side of the Cape near the canal) but only in August or September when the water is still fairly warm (at night.)

The current which comes down from Canada (off the coast of Maine) and toward Boston, the north shore, and south of Boston as far as the Cape is COLD. (Labrador Current.) But you can get used to swimming in this colder water and on a hot summer's day, it's very refreshing.

The current that comes up the coast and warms beaches as far as Cape Cod (again, the southern edge) is warmer. (Gulf Stream.)

As a kid I can remember swimming on Sandwich Beach (brrrr, north side) and going a few miles south to Falmouth (nice, warm side) and wondering why there was such a big difference in ocean waters only a few miles apart.

And when these two currents meet, off the far eastern edge of the Cape? A delicious fog.