PDA

View Full Version : I need your baby expertise

rosehips
03-24-2011, 06:17 AM
I have a baby in one story I'm working on. I have limited experience with babies, though. I need for this baby character to be at the stage where she's capable of being in a high chair but too little to walk and talk. Also, she likes putting blocks in her mouth, and may be able to say mama and baba for bottle. How old would she be?

Perks
03-24-2011, 06:24 AM
About ten or eleven months would fit. Could stretch it 10 - 14 if you need to and still be within "normal".

Pistol Whipped Bee
03-24-2011, 06:39 AM
I'd say between seven and ten months. My kids were walking by ten months.

Soccer Mom
03-24-2011, 06:43 AM
Hmm, you have your baby milestones a bit scrambled. Baby is likely walking before saying "baba" or "mama". At least mine were. 8-10 mos. Bear in mind that even before a baby is legitimately walking, they are highly mobile.

Here is a link to a timeline of typical child milestones http://children.webmd.com/features/is-your-baby-on-track

Perks
03-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Lol! Have I really forgotten that much? I went back and looked at my baby albums and perhaps I have.

My oldest walked at about 10 1/2 months, but didn't say all that much then. She might have said 'mama' but I don't remember her really talking until shortly after that.

My youngest didn't walk until almost 15 months, because she was an awesome crawler, and she started definitely speaking single words before she could walk, but didn't speak conversationally until she was well past two.

And I reportedly started saying 'quit that' when I was eight months old. And I've rarely shut up since.

icerose
03-24-2011, 06:23 PM
You'll find that all babies are unique, but the timeline posted is a good rule of thumb. You will always find exceptions to the rule. Such as my sister's daughter was walking and talking real words at 6 months. My daughter was talking but wasn't too big on the whole moving thing. Being the first grandchild on this side of the family she was more than happy to let everyone carry her around. So we had to bribe her with marshmallows on a clean floor to get her to crawl at 6 months and yet she was saying things like "delicious" at 7 months, but refused out and out to walk until she couldn't keep up with her new cousin who was older than her. So she got up and walked and passed the whole toddler phase completely at 13 months. If you do have the baby in your story talk before walking then I would suggest adding in reasons like being a first born and the first grand child so the baby gets a lot of interaction but not much personal mobile time.

rhymegirl
03-24-2011, 07:00 PM
I think it really varies from one child to another.

I just looked up my oldest son's baby book. He didn't start walking unassisted until about 14 months old.

And he spoke single words around 12 months old.

And I just found my youngest son's baby book. Just for comparison: He was crawling at 7 months, walking at 12 months and drinking from a cup at 12 months.

According to this baby book, the expected age for saying Mama or Dada is 4 to 10 months.

rosehips
03-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Well, there's a factor of a depressed mom who keeps the baby in bed with her a lot.
I could cut the words to make the baby younger, too.
At what age does the typical baby get highly mobile? I can't have this baby be too mobile, it would add a whole layer of challenges that the story doesn't need! (Easy for me to say, huh?)

JoNightshade
03-24-2011, 11:05 PM
My kid was walking at 11 months. He's now 15 months and his complete vocabulary is mamamamamama and BAH BAY. :)

Perks
03-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Well, there's a factor of a depressed mom who keeps the baby in bed with her a lot.
I could cut the words to make the baby younger, too.
At what age does the typical baby get highly mobile? I can't have this baby be too mobile, it would add a whole layer of challenges that the story doesn't need! (Easy for me to say, huh?)It depends what you mean by mobile. A good crawler is likely to be much speedier than an early walker, and at as early as six or seven months, but either sort you can plop into a crib or playpen and curtail their adventures and misadventures.

Jersey Chick
03-24-2011, 11:23 PM
From the time my son could stand, he was a climber. There was no such thing in my house as high enough when it came to putting things out of his reach. To this day, he scales whatever he has to in order to get what he wants and he's 5.

He never crawled, he rolled. He never cruised, he just got up and walked when he was about 9-10 months old.

Canotila
03-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Children are pretty individual.

My daughter and her cousin are both three. It was fascinating to see them grow and how differently they developed even though they are only two months apart.

My daughter could say "amo a papa" at five months, along with a slew of other words. At 10 months she was stringing sentences together (with terrible grammar, haha. Things like "hold it me!" and "pick it me up!"). She didn't walk until 10 months.

My niece started climbing on top of the refrigerator at 7 months old, walked at 8 months, but didn't start even start saying mama and dada until 12 months. At three years old I can still barely understand her, her sentences are things like "her are bugging me!". Where my daughter at three will say things like, "you mean it takes time for the smell to dissipate?"

Drachen Jager
03-25-2011, 01:49 AM
I'd say between seven and ten months. My kids were walking by ten months.

Well lah-de-dah! My kid speaks French! :tongue

adarkfox
03-26-2011, 12:12 AM
I don't know how much of an impact the mother's depression is meant to have on the child, but it is quite possible through lack of interaction with the child the baby would be developing at a stifled rate, or have its own developmental problems unrelated to the mother?

And for my addition to the "my kid" convo: Her second word was "Doggie". At 17 months everything is a "Doggie". The stuffed animals, the pictures on the wall, and the dog in the swing!

Cyia
03-26-2011, 12:47 AM
I was a freak - by 11 months old, I was walking, talking (multiple words), and toilet trained.

rosehips
03-26-2011, 02:15 AM
When can you start using a high chair?

JoNightshade
03-26-2011, 04:04 AM
When can you start using a high chair?

Don't worry about this one. You can almost put them in immediately and they keep using it for a couple of years. I think we started putting my son in his around 4 months.

adarkfox
03-26-2011, 04:12 AM
when they start on baby food :)

Perks
03-26-2011, 04:30 AM
When can you start using a high chair?If the baby's under five months or so, you really have to prop them up with a rolled blanket or something, because they can't sit up in the highchair.

jaksen
03-28-2011, 09:13 PM
I've had three kids. All their milestones were different, but within the range the other readers have posted on this thread.

But, if the baby is really essential to your story or plot, maybe you need to observe a few babies? At a daycare? (Do you know anyone who owns or works at one?) Or in a park? (Don't bring a camera, that's a bit too freaky.) Or a friend or relative with a baby? Nothing like live observation and a little interaction to make your writing ring true.

adarkfox
03-28-2011, 09:40 PM
+5 for Jaksen's advice.

I was reading something for a friend (who has no children) and in her piece there is a scene of the MC going into labor.... yeaaaaah could totally tell never been in labor/never read up on labor... never talked to anyone who had been in labor...

A little investigation goes a long way ;)

rosehips
03-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks, everyone. The baby doesn't get center stage much and I hope I've managed to represent her well enough. I think he main flaw is she isn't very mobile. I'm hoping that won't throw anyone off. I just don't mention that she is; one could assume that she has her moments "off screen," I suppose. I'll look at fixing that if I do another revision. Thank you all!

Debbie V
03-28-2011, 10:36 PM
A quick search of your library will show a bunch of books on child development. Developmental stagesd can be found on websites too. I like the Department of Pediatrics Birth to Five Years (book) - it lists can dos for each three month period. Everything is given in a range. Walking it typical from 9-18 months, after that it's a developmental delay. Sitting on your own comes at around six months - but you can put a baby in a bouncy seat to give a bottle and some high chairs are made with a tilt for younger babies that can be moved to upright as they age.

If the baby isn't allowed to use their muscles, they won't be strong enough to stand.

If no one speaks to it, it may not speak.

That said, a baby can roll off a bed - rollover from three or four months on. Then, the bed presents possibilities of suffocation if the baby rolls to its stomach but not back. Babies often go this direction first because they sleep on their backs.

Hope this helps.

serabeara
03-29-2011, 02:10 AM
From the time my son could stand, he was a climber. There was no such thing in my house as high enough when it came to putting things out of his reach. To this day, he scales whatever he has to in order to get what he wants and he's 5.

He never crawled, he rolled. He never cruised, he just got up and walked when he was about 9-10 months old.

This sounds exactly like my little boy.

You could probably stay somewhere under a year in age for the character and be okay. I don't think mine was talking before a year in age but my niece was.

mad_iguana
03-29-2011, 02:24 AM
My daughter's 13 months and has been saying Mama, Dada Baba since probably October/November or so, so 8 months old. She's only barely walking now - she can do a few steps then gets nervous and falls over.
And her mother heard her say "Thank You" today, so... taken along with everything the other folks said, I think you can take it that a baby's individuality gives you a fair bit of leeway, so long as they're not proving E=mc squared at 6 months or something (that would need to wait til 18 months AT LEAST).