Indie/Self: The Rules are Different Here? (Sales Velocity)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jensoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.athenagrayson.com
I'm a complete n00b here, still in the investigative state, so bear with me if this is patently obvious to everyone...

I found a blog post by Victorine Lieske that outlines sales numbers for several authors that are not JA Konrath or Amanda Hocking (aka "the dazzlers" because who wouldn't get stars in their eyes from these success stories). The numbers seem to tell an entirely opposite tale than the numbers I've both personally observed (from my own epublishing titles) and seen via Emily Veinglory's wonderful sales tracking for erotic romance).

Sales with a publisher seem to hit hard right out of the gate, then trickle down into a long, yet narrow tail. Indie-published stuff seems to start with a trickle and gather momentum--sometimes slowly, and sometimes with a huge rush that jumps them up and keeps them in elevated numbers.

Granted, this is only a small sampling, across genres, and with divergent authors who may or may not be promoing the living daylights out of their titles (also some numbers are for a single title versus others are aggregated for multiples).

I understand why print publishers will see a sharp drop-off. Returns, moving physical inventory, shelf life of a book, etc. Even epubs have new releases crowding out the older ones. I'm not sure why the reverse is true for self/indie.

So what gives? Are there any sages who might be able to venture a guess as to why velocity of sales for independently-published authors builds over time rather than tapers off?

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . .Are there any sages who might be able to venture a guess as to why velocity of sales for independently-published authors builds over time rather than tapers off?
Dunno that I am a sage, but I have hung around with independent publishers for years -- some with sales well into the tens of thousands and some with sales well into the tens, if that.

I'd not overgeneralize on this. You will find every variation. But a key difference between self-publishing (and other forms of small independent publishing -- it is NOT all self-publishing!) and commercial publishing is that the self-publisher (or small independent publisher) has the opportunity to keep books in print year after year. Might or might not choose to do so, but can, not being tied to the seasonal turns of commercial publishers, and not being tied to the trade channels through distributor, wholesaler, and bookstores. Maybe sales will build. Maybe not.

--Ken

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't quite follow. Are you talking about independent publishers [i.e Faber and Faber or Bloomsbury] or self-publishers?

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
I don't quite follow. Are you talking about independent publishers [i.e Faber and Faber or Bloomsbury] or self-publishers?
Dunno who you were asking, but I am referring to small independent publishers, some of whom publish their own books, some books by other people, and some both, not commercial publishing companies.

Here are some examples of the kinds of people I mean:

www.stagecoachpublishing.com
www.deervalleypress.com
www.bridgehousebooks.com
www.horseatthecornerpost.com
http://publishing.umbachconsulting.com (that would be me, but page needs updating)
www.greatlittlebook.com
www.gardenwisdompress.com

And see the public list of members at www.norcalpa.org (http://www.norcalpa.org/pages/public_directory.html)

--Ken

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
So what gives? Are there any sages who might be able to venture a guess as to why velocity of sales for independently-published authors builds over time rather than tapers off?

With a large publisher, many new books share the front page of an online site and the front tables of a B&M bookstore for a short time only. After a week or two, they get moved to the regular shelves to live out their 60 or 90 day debut period before being shredded. I'm guessing they sell more from the front tables, and many fewer when they've been turned into garbage bags and toilet paper.

I think indie books behave like other nonliterary products, where sales build on buzz and the advertisers (you) tweak and improve your approach to the market. Libraries may buy a copy and provoke more purchases. Repeated exposure of customers to your cover and blurb ramp up the urge to buy. Reviews may accumulate. People talk. It's mentioned in forums (by you, if necessary.) Etc.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Bill said it quite nicely.

Also, online sales databases need time to cross-link your books with other readers' lists. Once those relationships are in place, the upselling functions get more accurate. Also, as sales increase and positive reviews appear, the upsell occurrences increase. This has the effect of increasing visibility steadily over time.

PulpDogg

I should be writing
Registered
Reaction score
Also of note ... Victorine Lieske, Konrath and all the others ... they aren't moving physical books, they sell ebooks primarily. And while it might be true, that new releases kinda crowd out the old ones, ebook shelf space doesn't disappear and is not limited.

Even years after release the book is still there, where as in a normal bookstore, the books will disappear after a few month, because their shelf space is very limited. They also don't go out of print, ebooks that is.

So they can start slowly and the author has more time to get the word out, instead of one coordinated (crapshoot) sales push at release.

jensoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.athenagrayson.com
Also of note ... Victorine Lieske, Konrath and all the others ... they aren't moving physical books, they sell ebooks primarily. And while it might be true, that new releases kinda crowd out the old ones, ebook shelf space doesn't disappear and is not limited.

Even years after release the book is still there, where as in a normal bookstore, the books will disappear after a few month, because their shelf space is very limited. They also don't go out of print, ebooks that is.

So they can start slowly and the author has more time to get the word out, instead of one coordinated (crapshoot) sales push at release.

I noticed that, but in my experience with small press, and Veinglory's site, the publishers are also either ebook-only or ebook first and with (increasingly) limited print options. Yet their ebook sales echoed legacy in that initial sales/sharp dropoff model.

In my personal experience, the publisher sold at their own site, then three months later sold at distributor sites, where a small "bump" in sales could be seen, but again--sharp dropoff. It's very...weird. Not bad, but weird.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I understand why print publishers will see a sharp drop-off. Returns, moving physical inventory, shelf life of a book, etc. Even epubs have new releases crowding out the older ones. I'm not sure why the reverse is true for self/indie.

I have also read that list posted by Victorine Lieske.

I think the answer to your question is that most ebooks like these sell by word of mouth (or whatever the internet equivalent is), the more people buy it and post about it, review it and link to it the more people know about it, go to it and buy it. They then blog about it, review it and link to it. And so it goes on.

That's why in some of the cases she listed the book has increasing sales as time goes on. Also some of the authors on that list had a number of books out and all sales were included. When a second book comes out it can create publicity for the first.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Jensoko, I don't know a lot of self-publishers with e-books, but I know a few, and from their and my own experience so far, sales build over time. Each time an author gets another book out, that gets their name noticed again and customers can check out the other books, too. Most authors can and are putting up another story or novel faster than traditional publishing does, so between their own marketing and word of mouth, sales build.

All depending on the stories being entertaining in the first place, of course.

Ava Glass

Registered
Reaction score
why velocity of sales for independently-published authors builds over time rather than tapers off?

They're like indie films with "sleeper success."

Last edited:

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I think Amazon algorithims are built to sort of keep things that sell well selling well. They put books in those lists that say, "Customers who bought this, also bought this," etc. I think shelf space, if it can be called that, on Amazon is driven by sales numbers rather than release dates, so if something starts selling well, it will sell better because it will be seen more.

By contrast, an epublisher's site is going to list its new releases front and center, meaning those will be seen more and bought more.

Status
Not open for further replies.