A Million Thanks

grandmastertuck

Slightly misanthropic troll
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.unearthlyglow.com
Okay, I admit it, I goofed up. I went and posted in the NOVELS category without first introducing myself, so I'm here to correct that mistake. I wanted to start off by thanking all the current members (especially the prolific posters) for all they give to this community, and to tell you that you have inspired, educated and corrected me in more ways than one.

I am a 35 year old graphic designer and artist that has been writing short stories and plots for games and comics for going on twenty years. Yes, I know that it's very likely that the stuff I started with, twenty years ago, was pretty bad, but I'd like to think I've come a long way in the time since. Largely due to advice given by you folks to one another (that I was able to lap up in my frequent lurkings hereabouts), my storytelling has become more cohesive and tighter, and I think I have managed to avoid the worst of the newbie mistakes in writing.

Right now, I'm working on my second novel, having completed (what I think to be) my final revisions on my first novel. I don't have any definite plans to have them published as of yet, because I want to make sure I really know what needs to be done to prep for it. That, and I have to admit I'm a bit of a pessimist. I finish something, then look at it and think, "Who's going to want this? Nobody!" From what I hear, this is a common thing among writers. And though I can't go so far as to call myself a writer as of yet, I'd like to think I'm getting there.

My only problem at this stage boils down to blindness and yes-men. For those of you with good, kind and wonderful friends, you know exactly what I mean when I say 'yes-men.' Yes-men are those friends of yours that believe that everything you touch turns to gold, and that it's physically and metaphysically impossible for you to do anything that isn't 100% brilliant and perfect. On the one hand, I love that kind of positive reinforcement, but at the same time, I recognize the fact that this kind of feedback does not assist me in identifying my weaker areas, nor does it assist me in reinforcing those areas or making corrections to eliminate them entirely. I love my family and friends, and I love that they want to lavish praise on me, but sometimes I need a kick in the pants!

As for the blindness, this comes mostly due to my own self-doubt. I finish something, then think about it ad nauseum, and start feeling that there was something in there somewhere that I could have done so much better. So I go back, change it, and then think some more. After ten or twelve rounds of this, I simply can't see what I wrote anymore. There's no other way to describe it. I know it's there, I can read the words, but my objective ability to decide whether or not it's good enough is utterly gone. I just stare at it, wondering whether or not what I just did made it worse. That, combined with the yes-men that surround me, I fear are making me a bad writer and a bad storyteller.

I'm hoping that, in posting some more in here and getting to know some of you, you all can help me the way you help each other (and, quite frankly, the way you've unknowingly helped me in the past), and help me become a better writer. Because I really love telling stories. It's just that I can't seem to be able to tell whether or not I've got what it takes to keep doing it.

Anyway, that's all. Thanks again for everything, guys and gals, and I'll be seeing you around.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Don't forget to read the Newbie's Guide and enjoy AW

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to read the stickies, greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

I have passes for the pool on the roof, only $10

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! (-:

Two analogies for you. 1) Ever watched a nerd argument online? There's a specific variant called "the endless refinement of facts", where some statement is made and someone else will loudly proclaim them wrong by reason of being insufficiently specific. These arguments can go on ad infinitum, until they've descended into the most obscure trivia imaginable. As a bystander to one of these arguments, there is inevitably a point at which you feel like you've gotten all the information you really need. Sure, more information and detail is inevitably forthcoming, but at some point you just don't want to listen anymore. You tune out, and walk away with what you've got.

2) Gum. When you first pop a piece of gum in your mouth, it's kinda stiff and hard to chew. You get going with it and it gets soft and gummy and the flavor hits peak and you're just happy. Then, slowly, the texture becomes more putty-like, the flavor starts to fade away, and even though you're not done chewing it -- you'll NEVER be done chewing it, it's gum -- at some point you have to make a conscious choice that the time has come to take it out of your mouth and be done with it. You're not going to get it back out of the trash can later that afternoon and chew it some more, and if you do, well, that's kinda gross. If you really miss the peak experience, you start a fresh piece of gum.

Writing, and being a writer, is like both of those things. There's always stuff that can be made better, there's always refinement to be had, more chewing to be done. At some point it's just not worth doing, and part of getting more experience as a writer is getting better at recognizing that point and giving yourself permission to call it done and good enough.

Or anyway, that's my $.02.

-Suzanne

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

grandmastertuck

Slightly misanthropic troll
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.unearthlyglow.com
Suzanne, the gum analogy just completely changed my world view. I've been gnawing on this sillyputty-tasting wad of eighties Bazooka Joe for long enough. Though the story may not be perfect, it is done. Thanks! :D

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more I think that maybe Fantasy wasn't really my genre to begin with. And when I look back on the stuff I keep changing, it's all stuff to make the story more frightening. Maybe that is the root of the problem... anyway, thanks again.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more I think that maybe Fantasy wasn't really my genre to begin with. And when I look back on the stuff I keep changing, it's all stuff to make the story more frightening. Maybe that is the root of the problem... anyway, thanks again.

No problem. (-:

I don't really consider Fantasy my genre either, and I'm not into Horror at all, and yet despite that I've written both. I'd say write the story you want to write (or the story that wants to be written, as the case may be) and worry about what genre it might be when it's done and you're ready to send it out. And have fun in the meantime -- it's all just words. (-:

-Suzanne

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:

Take a wander around the various forums, there's lots to see and lots to learn, and even some fun threads too. Come along and pop on over to the Newbie Pub (at the top of the Newbie forum) and say hi, there's plenty of friendly faces that you can chat with and lots of banter. There's also the Question of the Day threads at the top of the Newbie forum where you can answer random questions.

Don't forget to read the newbie guide, and if you want to know what all the buttons mean check out this thread.