Protocol for submitting short stories...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Perry

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sns.ewrestle.net
Lets say I have a short story that I want to send in to a magazine, I write the address on the envelope, put a stamp on it, but what exactly needs to be inside said envelope. Obviously you need the manuscript, but do you enclose the whole thing or just an extract? What letter do you need to enclose with it, and what should the contents of said letter be?

Thanks alot
Scott 'The n00b' Perry

Fishmonkey

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ekaterinasedia.com
Scott --
Magazines usually have guidelines, and I suggest following them. But in most cases, you would include your short story (the whole thing) in standard manuscript format, a cover letter, and self-addressed stamped envelope for return on the manuscript, or just their reply.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Scott Perry said:
Lets say I have a short story that I want to send in to a magazine, I write the address on the envelope, put a stamp on it, but what exactly needs to be inside said envelope. Obviously you need the manuscript, but do you enclose the whole thing or just an extract? What letter do you need to enclose with it, and what should the contents of said letter be?

Thanks alot
Scott 'The n00b' Perry

What needs to be inside is the entire short story, plus SASE. The cover letter can include previous pubishing credits, or it can include nothing at all. You don;t have to include a cover letter, if you really have nothing to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.