PDA

View Full Version : Questions on bail, and would the police contact your boss?

Prawn
03-22-2011, 03:34 AM
I have a character that gets arrested by the feds on a Felony charge, then gets out on bail.

My helpful beta reader raised two questions.

1) He doesn't tell his boss. Would the feds contact his boss as part of their investigation?

2) He lives in a different state. I had him post a higher bail because of this, but once out on bail, would be be able to go back home until the trial?

Thanks!
Prawn

thothguard51
03-22-2011, 03:43 AM
Contacting his employer...not unless it was part of their investigation related to his felony charge or as terms of his bail.

The terms of his bail may prohibit him from leaving the state, and again this will depend on the charge and how major a felony it is...

Prawn
03-22-2011, 03:48 AM
He offers his house in another state as security for the bond, so the bondsman knows he is from out of state. If there is some wriggle room, I can make it work, I guess.

JulieHowe
03-22-2011, 03:57 AM
Sometimes just being away from work for a few days is enough for the arrested person to have to tell their boss what happened, especially if they were known to be a responsible employee with a good work history.

If your character is arrested out of state, he'll probably have a few extra days to be locked up before he can make bail.

Prawn
03-22-2011, 04:02 AM
I have him call and ask for time off work, saying he has family business. His boss gives it to him with out too many questions, so I have that angle covered. I had him just get on a plane and fly home, but my beta thinks it should be more difficult than that. I don't mind putting other obstacles in his way if necessary, like driving to another state and then flying home from there, but I don't want to go through the trouble of all of this if it is possible to go home while he waits for the trail.

thothguard51
03-22-2011, 04:17 AM
Again, it will depend on the felony charge and it the Feds feel he is a flight risk...

Prawn
03-22-2011, 04:31 AM
No, he isn't a flight risk. In fact he's something of a war hero. I am looking for betas here on AW, so I don't want to give away too much of the plot, but this the first time he has been arrested, and the bail is put up in full.

I feel like a bad liar: I have this friend, this guy I know, that has this erectile disfunction problem...it's not me, I swear!

jclarkdawe
03-22-2011, 04:58 AM
There would be no need to contact his employer for bail. Most people on bail don't even have employers, so no one cares.

A judge is very unlikely to let someone out on bail who lives in another state and then refuse to let him return home. Where the hell would anyone expect the guy to live? A motel?

On a state level, this is a bit complicated, as the defendant has to waive extradition. But federally it's a piece of cake. That's because a US Marshall can pick the guy up in any US territory and put him on Con-Air and return him.

Some of this is going to depend on the charge (and if you want to let me know privately, feel free to), but I've had truck drivers on bail with permission to go to all 49 states and Canada. I've had lots of clients on bail who didn't stay in New Hampshire pre-trial. You can usually set up conditions to make it work. Especially if the defendant is unlikely to get jail, bail conditions are easy.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Prawn
03-22-2011, 05:17 AM
Not only are you the query master, you are also the bail master as well!

Thanks!

Prawn

WCP
03-23-2011, 02:54 AM
I have friends who went to jail - one of whose employer was visited by the cops. The cops discovered that he had lied about his whereabouts (he was in jail).

The bail thing depends on the situation, but yeah, you can usually go back home once you've posted bail - but there may be rules given to you, and sometimes they may give you a ankle bracelet to determine your location.