Poll: Number of Rejections Before Getting an Agent

How many rejections/no responses did you get before accepting representation?

• 0 - 10

Votes: 22 40.7%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • 41 - 50

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 51 - 75

• 76 - 100

• More than 100

Votes: 10 18.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Another poster wanted to know the average number of rejections before getting an agent. I don't think there's much good data out there, so let's create some!

If you have an agent, how many rejections/no responses did you receive before accepting an offer?

ETA: If you have had more than one agent, please answer for your most recent querying experience. Thanks!

ETA: And only include the rejections from the book that attracted the agent. This isn't about long-term perseverance, but how long it takes for an agent-attracting book to find an agent.

Last edited:

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Kellion, this is always a tricky question because of how many different manuscripts some writers have to write before hitting on one that gets an agent. You may either want to specify you are just talking about the manuscript that got an agent or if you want to know all rejections, specify that instead.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Amarie, it would be most useful to include only the rejections for the book that got the agent. Or so I think.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
More than 100, but I sent 2 or 300 before I knew what I was doing

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Just saw the ETA . The second agent took about fifty

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Amarie, it would be most useful to include only the rejections for the book that got the agent. Or so I think.

Oops. I selected my answer before I saw your clarification. I chose 51-75, because it took three different books before I found an agent.

Now, on the book that was actually signed, I sent nine queries and got four rejections and one non-response.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. So far, the two most heavily populated categories are at the extremes of 0-10 and More than 100. The mid-range is empty. I am already developing a hypothesis about this distribution, but it must await further data and the completion of my Cylon detector.

Nick Blaze

Jun-Ikkyu
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. So far, the two most heavily populated categories are at the extremes of 0-10 and More than 100. The mid-range is empty. I am already developing a hypothesis about this distribution, but it must await further data and the completion of my Cylon detector.
This is a bit surprising, actually.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
My conclusion is, either you know what you're doing from the get-go and send a commercially viable manuscript to an agent who's a good match, or you plug away and perseverance pays off in the end. The mid-range is empty because it's the "meh" manuscripts and less determined writers that fail to secure an agent.

Sounds about right to me :)

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't see the clarification either. I put 51-75 because like ChaosTitan, I shopped two earlier manuscripts that got rejected all over town. The third one that snagged me an agent, I only queried about 10 I think, and pulled the ms before I could get a lot of rejections.

Second agent, no querying (was a direct referral from a friend). When I moved on to my third agent and queried again, I sent out 4 queries, got one rejection, one offer, and two non-responses.

Phaeal

Registered
Reaction score
My conclusion is, either you know what you're doing from the get-go and send a commercially viable manuscript to an agent who's a good match, or you plug away and perseverance pays off in the end. The mid-range is empty because it's the "meh" manuscripts and less determined writers that fail to secure an agent.

Sounds about right to me :)

Hey, stop horning in on my hypothesis. Although I do have a speshul corollary at which you merely hint, muhahahahaha...

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
To the original poster: It was either 5 or 6 no response/rejections. I then took a break for about 4 months, reworked my query and fixed up my ms, and then received an offer of representation on the next query I sent out.

I would respectfully request a copy of your plans for building a Cylon detector. We desperately need one at my house while playing the BSG board game.

Phaeal

Registered
Reaction score
I would respectfully request a copy of your plans for building a Cylon detector. We desperately need one at my house while playing the BSG board game.

Even though you are one of these disgusting people who get an agent within 0-10 attempts, I will ask Six to PM the algorithms your way. Use them at your own risk.

I see that the 0-10 responders now have a commanding lead. My hypothesis is undergoing some revision, to take into account a possible response bias. Much-rejected people, where are you? And bring chocolate and Scotch when you come.

Last edited:

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
I'm one of those 0-10 writers. My first query turned into a full and then an offer of representation within 24 hours. This query was sent in a batch of five, three others rejected, and one other partial request.

I understand why people could look at stats like this and get frustrated. But the fact is, I wrote six books before I wrote the one that got me my agent. Four of them were queried. A few of them came close, but otherwise they bombed.

I took everything I learned from three years of querying and several more years of writing and put it all into the book that got me my offer. It's not like the people who only send out a handful of queries before getting an offer spin off a quick book and send it out there and have agents clawing at their legs. The stats for a particular book, in my opinion, are really only half the story. You have to look at the whole career before you guage how a writer got their agent.

Otherwise, it's easy to get discouraged when your book has eighty rejects and someone else got an offer on their first query.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
One rejection before my second query landed me my agent. But the book never sold.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Poppys, that's a good point. We need a full survey that asks how many novels written, how many novels queried, how many rejections on each novel that was trunked, how many on the one that got repped, how many offers, how many total rejections?

Anybody want to put up a full survey somewhere else? :D

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
I took everything I learned from three years of querying and several more years of writing and put it all into the book that got me my offer. It's not like the people who only send out a handful of queries before getting an offer spin off a quick book and send it out there and have agents clawing at their legs. The stats for a particular book, in my opinion, are really only half the story. You have to look at the whole career before you guage how a writer got their agent.

Very true - my 4-rejections book is my first novel, but it took me four years and two writing courses to get there, and many years of unfinished novels before that. I'm a very cautious submitter, because I don't like to go into a competition I can't win :)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Too many to count, but who cares. It's part of the process. Some get lucky on the first time out, some never get lucky.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Too many to count, but who cares. It's part of the process. Some get lucky on the first time out, some never get lucky.

It isn't luck that lands an agent or a pubisher, it's a combination of doing the research it takes to know exactly where to send something, and of having the quality to send.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Fascinating. The successes are following something like a geometric distribution, where most manuscripts get placed early with a mean of about 10 rejections before successes, and there's a very long tail stretching beyond a hundred. And getting all good manuscripts accepted involves something like the coupon collector's problem.

In short, you're most likely to get an acceptance early, but there's a continuing low probability even after you've accumulated dozens of rejections.

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
First book:
8 agents queried
2 requested proposal within ten minutes
4 passed, 2 no-response

Total time: 6 weeks before accepting representation

Note: First book didn't sell but second one did (on Monday). :)

Never give up, never give in!

Status
Not open for further replies.