Agent/publisher jargon for sizes of deal

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
Agents and publishers like to use vague and somewhat cryptic phrases like "a nice deal" when referring to new acquisitions. I'm sure someone posted a list of what these phrases equate to in approximate cash sums, but I can't find it now. I've tried the forum search, but I can't seem to phrase the search terms right as they are all such common words.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
  • "Nice deal" $1-$49,000
  • "Very nice deal" $50,000-$99,000
  • "Good deal" $100,000-$250,000
  • "Signifigant deal" $251,000-$499,000
  • "Major deal" 500,000 and up

writermom

Avada Kedavra
Registered
Reaction score
"nice deal" $1 - $49,000
"very nice deal" - $50,000 - $99,000
"good deal" - $100,000 - $250,000
"significant deal" - $251,000 - $499,000
"major deal" - $500,000 and up

EDITED: ha! Aruna, you were quicker on the trigger finger. :)

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
To be VERY CLEAR - these are the suggested phrases and numbers for deals in Publishers Marketplace. While loads of agents and editors do use and peruse Publishers Marketplace, this is by no means a definitive definition of what "nice" "good" or "significant" might mean outside of that one particular website.

I personally prefer the "real world book deal descriptions as outlined by Scalzi & Co, here: http://whatever.scalzi.com/2004/09/08/the-real-world-book-deal-descriptions/

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annelyle.com
:roll:

Thanks for that, Jennifer - though I don't think my agent or Not Insignificant Genre Press publisher will be using words like "meh" :)

ETA - back to the serious scales, I guess that a "nice five figure sum" is a lot less than a "good five figure sum", then?

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
To be VERY CLEAR - these are the suggested phrases and numbers for deals in Publishers Marketplace. While loads of agents and editors do use and peruse Publishers Marketplace, this is by no means a definitive definition of what "nice" "good" or "significant" might mean outside of that one particular website.

I personally prefer the "real world book deal descriptions as outlined by Scalzi & Co, here: http://whatever.scalzi.com/2004/09/08/the-real-world-book-deal-descriptions/

:D That was great, and very true!
Believe it or not (I don't any more) I once got three shut up! deals. Those were the days, my friend. I thought they''d never end. (and we did all yell shut! up! or something similar.)

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
Again, the only place there are such designations actually set is on ONE WEBSITE, Publishers Marketplace. If you are not talking about a Publishers Marketplace description, then you can use whatever words you want to describe it. You could call 10,000 "pretty ok" and 95,000 "not too shabby." You could call either one of those "Amazing!" "Great!" "Good!" "Nice!" "Neato!" or any other thing you want.

If you are really keen to know exactly what they mean, my suggestion would be you just ask them. But of course, they will probably not be willing to discuss exactly how much money another author made with you (and if it is your OWN book, well, you already know that!)

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Shoot. Give me ten bucks and I'll shut up. I have a paypal account just for stuff like this. :poke: (Not saying I'm cheap or anything.....but.....)

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annelyle.com
If you are really keen to know exactly what they mean, my suggestion would be you just ask them. But of course, they will probably not be willing to discuss exactly how much money another author made with you (and if it is your OWN book, well, you already know that!)

Thanks - I was just curious about how standard such jargon is. It's not like it makes a blind bit of difference how much someone else got paid for their book, since I'm in no position (yet!) to kick up a fuss :)

Ineti

Purveyor of Prose
Registered
Reaction score
ETA - back to the serious scales, I guess that a "nice five figure sum" is a lot less than a "good five figure sum", then?

Well, yeah. $99,999 and $10,000 are both five figure sums...one nicer than the other. :)

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com

AWESOME post! I'll take a "not bad" sunny side up, please.