Paul

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Saw "Paul" today.

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost did it again. Really friggin' funny, and even funnier if you're a geek/nerd.

Who recognized the music playing in the bar? :D

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
I thought the movie was hilarious.

The problem I think a lot of people have with this movie is that they don't understand the inside jokes. It's kind of like how people didn't get Shaun of the Dead if they hadn't seen zombie films before.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
I think there's enough to be entertained....but you get extra goodies if you really get it. Shaun of the Dead was hilarious for me, too, and I've only seen one or two zombie movies. That started us on the Simon Pegg kick...I'll see nearly anything with him a part of it.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
The only problem with 'Paul' on Saturday night was that there were probably about ten couples who brought children - and I mean 5-8 year olds - to the theater.

Now I can understand that you may have misunderstood the tv trailer and thought it was a family movie, but the clue at the ticket counter was in the 'R' rating. And even if, somehow, you managed to miss that, the cat was out of the bag in the first five minutes or so.

The profanity was completely hilarious, but 'Paul' makes it seem like there's no cussing in 'Scarface'. And there was no innuendo to be had, only very frank (and very funny) sexual references.

I don't get why those parents brought their kids -- and then stayed. It was weird.

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Oh man, I loved that movie to bits. Don't get me wrong, I'll always love Shaun and Hot Fuzz (can't believe no one's mentioned that one yet) that little bit more, but Paul was definitely the best comedy movies since... well, Hot Fuzz!

Well, okay, so maybed The Hangover.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
There were kids brought to our showing, too! And they sat down in the front few rows. I hate when parents bring kids to R movies - get a babysitter or stay home.

Back on topic, I love when the ship lands and a maintenance alien is pressure washing the ramp after they squished -----! So many hilarious little details.

*kaboom* "My weed!"

:roll:

Sarah Madara

Freeway stomper extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
My husband got a lot more of the jokes than I did, but we both thought it was funny.

He's always talked about how when he was a little kid, the really cool swear-word thing to say was "mother-fuckin' titty-suckin' two ball bitch." And I'd never heard it from anyone but him. (Google search tells me it's much more commonly known than I realized.) So when that line came out we both just cracked up - and we agreed there was no one we'd rather hear it from than Jason Bateman.

Still chuckling over that one.

Skyblaze

Registered
Reaction score
I thought it wasn't as good as Either Hot Fuzz or Shaun of the Dead. I wasn't laughing all the way through like I was with the both of them. A lot of the comedy in Paul seemed to be put in a more American comedic value (i.e. a lot of the comedy in the second half was from the girl spouting out jumbles of curse words I don't think I would ever find that in a British comedy film). I will agree with a lot of the critics in saying that Seth Rogen's voice was not correct for the character because I didn't see him at all as an alien but as Seth Rogen. Additionally I still miss the flawless and very amazing editing by Edgar Wrights crew that he had in Shaun and Hot Fuzz.

PS. Funniest part in the film was the running joke of "Three tits?"

PSS. I thought a lot of the quote references felt forced into the situation rather than smoothly said.

Last edited: