PDA

View Full Version : Hello, new here. Autobiography

sisymay
03-21-2011, 06:43 AM
Hi I'm new! I am searching for how to publish my christian autobiography. I know that it's hard to find a publisher that will publish without the author paying part of the expenses. But, I have heard people say you do not want to go with a publisher that makes you pay. Any suggestions?

FocusOnEnergy
03-21-2011, 06:54 AM
Welcome to the forum, sisymay. I'm still learning about how the publishing business works (mostly by reading the forum posts), but I have learned that you don't want to do business with publishers that make you pay, unless you've decided to self-publish, which is a whole different animal. Commercial publishers earn their revenue from selling books to readers, and part of that revenue is what they pay you.

However, there are plenty who earn their revenue by charging money to the authors of the books.

Before you sign on the dotted line or pay a cent to a publisher, spend time on the forum reading and learning and don't be afraid to search and ask questions about any publisher before signing with them.

Welcome, you've found a great place to learn.

Focus

Wayne K
03-21-2011, 07:05 AM
Never pay a publisher. Money flows to the writer

Gravity
03-21-2011, 07:31 AM
Hi Sisy. Welcome.

Unfortunately, unless your life has been nothing short of amazing--and you already have a massive speaking platform-- you're going to find it an uphill battle to find a commercial house (the kinds that pays you) to take it on. If you don't mind paying for it yourself, there are a couple good vanity houses out there, Lulu and CreateSpace, that aren't too expensive.

Ruth2
03-21-2011, 07:38 AM
Not all Christian publishers make you pay to publish (I'm assuming you want to go with a Christian publisher.) Go to your largest Christian bookstore and see who's publishing similar works. Then check to see if you need an agent to submit to them or if you can submit to them directly. Follow their submission guidelines and go for it. Good luck!! :)

Calla Lily
03-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Welcome, sisy!

Gravity is right about a massive speaking platform for autobiographies. However, *mounts soapbox* even though youy can upload it to CreateSpace for free (I think), how will you get the word out to anyone other than family and friends? Because that's how you make sales--total strangers buying your book. :) *descends soapbox*

Yog's Law: Money flows toward the writer.

Now, if you're really (for example) Paul Crouch's wife and have an exclusive behind-the-scenes expose of the TBN empire... well, I think you have that platform. :evil

However! (Hey, I'm pre-coffee. Bear with me.) There is a market for memoirs. I know there's a subtle difference. Don't ask me what it is. Sorry. Perhaps the people in the Bio/Autobio/Memoir forum can help. Good luck!