Rejectomancy

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On the bright side, this last R was the first time I've gotten the "your story was close" rejection from Clarkesworld.

The story is now off to a different market.

Bloody hell! That's brilliant!!!!
Congratulations :D
Take that R and frame it.

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
Yay for the "it's close" rejection from Clarkesworld! I got one of those once too and then the next market I sent the story to published it. I'm crossing my fingers for you. =)

I sent out a story for ChiZine last night. It's especially terrible because I really love this story and that's usually not a good sign lol

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
On the bright side, this last R was the first time I've gotten the "your story was close" rejection from Clarkesworld.

That's awesome!

Shelley

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Sheesh, F&FS is taking forever! It's been all of ten days! Okay, that's not long at all, but it seems longer. The fact that Canada Post keeps threatening to strike in my city makes me worry that their reply to might take longer than usual (one of the pros to e-mail submissions is that you don't have to worry about your internet provider walking out on you).

GCU_Dramatic Exit

Registered
Reaction score
been a bit of a lurker on these forums, but i finally submitted my first story (flash fic.)

i wasn't accepted but hell, at least i submitted something and started the ball rolling...

is this a form rejection 'cause i'm unsure:

"
While you obviously have a style of writing well-suited to the type published by Stanley the Whale, we'll not be publishing Duplication at this time. We'd love to see other works you might have, however, and encourage you to continue writing and sending stuff in."

sent a flash to ideomancer at the start of this month, so a lot of openign up my gmail account :)

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score
been a bit of a lurker on these forums, but i finally submitted my first story (flash fic.)

i wasn't accepted but hell, at least i submitted something and started the ball rolling...

is this a form rejection 'cause i'm unsure:

"
While you obviously have a style of writing well-suited to the type published by Stanley the Whale, we'll not be publishing Duplication at this time. We'd love to see other works you might have, however, and encourage you to continue writing and sending stuff in."

sent a flash to ideomancer at the start of this month, so a lot of openign up my gmail account :)

Congrats on your first submission!

I don't think that's a standard form. Saying that you have the style of writing that's well-suited to their pub isn't standard rejection stuff. That they'd love to see more is a bit more enthusiastic than most standard rejects, too.

I think it's a personal rejection, which is pretty nice for your first time at bat. Definitely keep trying them!

Shelley

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just got a rejection from Every Day Fiction with comments from several slush readers, including Soapy. Getting rejected by a fellow W1S1'er stung a bit more than an average R, but I suppose it was bound to happen eventually.

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com

A first rejection is a great thing because it means you're getting your work out there. Keep it up! =) And no, I don't think that's a form rejection. Sounds very promising, actually.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
Just got a rejection from Every Day Fiction with comments from several slush readers, including Soapy. Getting rejected by a fellow W1S1'er stung a bit more than an average R, but I suppose it was bound to happen eventually.
Aw, I'm sorry Alex. I knew this would be an issue for me. I've returned things to slush if I recognize the writer. I am having a hard time critting my friends. :(

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, I'm sorry Alex. I knew this would be an issue for me. I've returned things to slush if I recognize the writer. I am having a hard time critting my friends. :(

No worries, I respect your opinion and don't expect some sort of a preferential treatment or anything. But I still think the story was good enough though. :tongue

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Another week of crickets. I'll probably hear something back this week, as I have a couple of pieces just past the average response time on Duotrope. Fingers crossed that it's good news :).

MattJ

Publish or Die Trying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wayofthewriter.blogspot.com
As expected, the rejections are rolling in this week.

Why, why don't they see my BRILLIANCE! I'll make them pay... by TAKING OVER THE WORLD! Mwa ha ha! Then everyone will be forced to read my stories, and only my stories! :evil

Or

I'll just keep sending them more. :)

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
((((Matt))))

I like your evil plan! Keep sending, make them read more and more and more... :D

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score
Matt, congrats on the Shock Totem flash challenge, by the way! I was going to play along but forgot that it was 8 Eastern time rather than my time. :p

Maybe next time!

Shelley

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In. Out.

Poop.

:(

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:D

Lol. Thanks.

JC Romel

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hi. Wicked new here. Been doing the W1S1 challenge for a few months now, but only recently switched to weekly. Received a rejection from Arcane just yesterday, and I needed to share my misery with people who know my pain.

So, here. Have some. Hey, hey! Small slices!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to the W1S1 area of AW, Joe! It's nice to have you :)

And commiserations on the R. Have you got the story back out into the world yet?

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
:hi: JC sorry for the R :(

Still crickets here. I'm wondering if I should query. :Shrug:

I am so antsy because I sent something to Apex Magazine in early Jan. and still haven't heard back.

I've been trying to make sense of the Duotrope stats and it seems like a ton of other people have gotten rejections and acceptances already. Anyone here submitted since Jan. and received a response (other than a confirmation) from them yet?

*sigh*