First reprint (possibly)

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Funny; I came home from a trip to find an e-mail from Tim Johnston at Short Story America, expressing interest in reprinting a previously-published story of mine. The strange thing is I have absolutely no memory of having submitted it -- in October, apparently -- and have no record of doing so, either in my private spreadsheet or on Duotrope. It had been published back in July by First Line Fiction; normally I don't think about submitting stories for reprint.

Yet, I found that on October 14 I created a new, revised file; that must be the version of the story I submitted. It annoys me to have been failed by both my memory and my record-keeping, but that's the simplest explanation.

I had been leery of Short Story America as a venue for first publication, but reprints are a different matter (since I'd never expected to have any). So I accepted Mr. Johnston's offer, although we haven't discussed the details yet. I'm a little surprised he'd be willing to pay to publish a story that's still freely available online at First Line Fiction, but it's also kind of encouraging.

ETA: Now that I look again, that modified file was from October 2009, not 2010. Really wondering about this. Odd.

Last edited:

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe the editor found the story on his own, which would make the reprint offer even sweeter. SSA seems an idiosyncratic market, so I'm not so surprised that they'd reprint a still-available piece.

Anyhow, CGs!

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
congrats man, that's a pretty awesome surprise!