Is this Really a Rejection?

Valona

Registered
Reaction score
Two weeks ago, I sent a query letter to an agent and I just received a rejection letter from her saying she is too "inundated with submissions" right now to consider it. She asked me to consider trying her again in 6 weeks or so?

Is this just a polite way of saying "forget it," or does she really want to consider my query at a later date? If so, why didn't she simply wait until she could get around to reading my query a month, or even 4 months from now, as it seems is the industry standard?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Valona said:
Two weeks ago, I sent a query letter to an agent and I just received a rejection letter from her saying she is too "inundated with submissions" right now to consider it. She asked me to consider trying her again in 6 weeks or so?

Is this just a polite way of saying "forget it," or does she really want to consider my query at a later date? If so, why didn't she simply wait until she could get around to reading my query a month, or even 4 months from now, as it seems is the industry standard?

When agents reject your query, they don't do so in a way that nmakes you wonder. Sounds like this agent was simply being polite and kind, meaning she doesn't want you to wait for something that might take a long, long time when you could be using that time to look for another agent.

Send it back to her in six weeks or so. A kind, polite agent is tough to find.

Valona

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks James. That's what I'm intending to do. Just wanted to be sure I'm not barking up the wrong tree.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I got the same letter in July. I resubmitted a week ago and got the exact same letter again yesterday.

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
I know someone who had the exact same experience. Received the "try again in six weeks" letter, did so, received another letter saying "try again in six weeks." He's done so again and is interested to see what happens. Perhaps he'll comment here. :)

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
kristie911 said:
I got the same letter in July. I resubmitted a week ago and got the exact same letter again yesterday.

Same here, though it took considerably longer than a week. So I resubmitted yet again, this time mentioning in the query that the last rejection had suggested I try again in six weeks. Haven't yet gotten a response.

Valona

Registered
Reaction score
I can't help wondering if we're not all talking about the same agent. What's her M.O.? How does one get through to her?