Newbie needs advice on sending a requested manuscript

Nik

Registered
Reaction score
I just received my first manuscript request after sending in a query. The request was short and simple: "Please do send it by email. Many thanks, [Agent]"

Needless to say, I'm excited and don't want to do anything to hinder my chances with this agent. But I'm not sure of what to say about my book in the cover letter.

I'm pretty sure I need to say something, just to refresh her memory. I'm sure she's read several queries since mine, and even requested a few.

Should I include the same synopsis from query letter?
This seems redundant, and perhaps a little lazy.

Should I write a new synopsis?
I've already put my best into the original, so this one would probably be a little lacking.

Or should I just write a brief sentence, just enough to remind her of that initial synopsis in the query.
With this, I'm afraid that something so brief will be a turn off.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Nik,

Congrats of the request! Assuming she requested via email, just reply to the original email. That way, she'll have all the information she needs below. You can just write a quick note along the lines of, "Dear _______, Thank you for your interested in my book, MOST AWESOME BOOK EVER. As requested, it is attached here. Sincerely, Nik." Then, be sure to change the subject line of your email to include the phrase "Requested Materials" along with the title of your book and/or genre or author name.

If she requested via snail mail, just send her an email like above, but after thanking her for her interest, follow it with the date of her request and something along the lines of, "to refresh your memory, MOST AWESOME BOOK EVER is about... (or some approximation that works)" and then include the hook paragraphs from your query. Don't rewrite, copy them exactly. You want to make it easy for her to remember. And you're off!

Good luck!

Nik

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Giant. That sounds like the perfect solution. I didn't know email worked like that.
I can't believe it's 2011 and I still don't know the ins and outs of email. How sad is that?

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nik,
Congrats to you! I have gotten that same exact request :D possibly it is from the same agent? What giant baby said, is what I did. Reply in the message thread, give a quick little, Thanks for the interest, as requested I have attached (and I sometimes say what type of attachment here in case they prefer a different type they can tell me) BEST BOOK EVER. Thanks for consideration. Sincerely me.

Good luck!

LisaAnn

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Nik! Best of luck to you on your submission! :D