What gives a western cross-over appeal?

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Here is a discussion question. What westerns have successfully crossed over and reached a broader audience with out being cross-genre themselves? And what were the qualities that allowed them to reach that broader audience? With our western heritage slowly fading in the consciousness of today's generation of techno-kids (my own included), how is the traditional western going to continue to find an audience without adapting ? I cringe at the idea of seeing the western mutate into an art form with modern day sensibilities (hopefully not into the cowboys and space aliens-Wild, Wild West type goofiness, which can be fun in itself) merged into it until it no longer seems authentic. I don't have cable and never saw Deadwood, but I understand the profanity (although it existed during the period) was closer in quantity to today's society than it ever would have been back then. Are we going to have to sacrifice the authenticity of the genre to attract readers and viewers? Or am I kidding myself that actual authenticity exists in the genre and that it is more a combination of myth and exaggeration than accuracy? A lot of questions, I know, but ones I would really like to get a handle on.

entropic island

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this counts, but Stephen King's fantasy slightly western novel The Gunslinger has had quite a bit of commercial success, but that might just be because it has King's name attached to it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Lonesome Dove was a huge crossover, and even won a Pulitzer. Big, wide, epic, and good.

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still wondering what makes a Western and what makes a historical set in the west or with a Western-like setting. Certainly to qualify as "Western" a story shouldn't have to be clichéd. I'm also wondering if the recent movie of True Grit will bring back the Western after a long decline. In the theater at True Grit, they showed previews for a goofy animated Western called Rango and I was glad to see Westerns getting even that attention.

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Want to see Rango

I have yet to see Rango, although I want to take my kids to it. It may take this type of treatment to introduce the younger generation to the era that was the Old West. I found it interesting that when Pixar developed Toy Story they decided to make the kid enjoy fantasizing about western scenarios at a time when cowboy toy were passe. I don't really mind seeing something like cowboys and aliens, providing they don't try to inject a lot of modern sensibilities into the cowboy characters. It will be much more interesting to see humans defeat the aliens if the characters are consistent with the era in thinking and solutions.

A.V. Hollingshead

Vive la révolution littéraire!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ophiucha.tumblr.com
I think it is as much about atmosphere as it is about gunslingers, and while the gunslingers can crossover from time to time, that atmosphere of the Wild West translates well into dramas. Fantasy and science fiction do well, also, because they have ripe, unexplored territory to put these cowboys in. I think that is why Firefly was so successful. You had the core of the planets, with futuristic technologies and big city feels, and then you had the outskirts near the edge of the universe where vigilante justice reigned supreme. It is the same setting, except there are spaceships instead of horses.

Rango
was surprisingly respectful towards the genre, and even made a little nod at The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (and by nod, I mean the Man With No Name shows up to guide Rango on his journey). It also had a snake with a machine gun for a rattler as the 'bad' outlaw of the movie, which made it awesome.

texas_girl

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still wondering what makes a Western and what makes a historical set in the west or with a Western-like setting. Certainly to qualify as "Western" a story shouldn't have to be clichéd. I'm also wondering if the recent movie of True Grit will bring back the Western after a long decline. In the theater at True Grit, they showed previews for a goofy animated Western called Rango and I was glad to see Westerns getting even that attention.

I certainly hope so... It would be great to see more western movies and novels coming out.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I saved this ages ago:

What is a Western? By definition, a classic Western is set in the period from 1860 to 1890. The definition can be stretched to go back to the Alamo (1836) or up to the Mexican Revolution in 1920. Westerns are usually simple morality tales written about the period of exploration and development.

I thought I had a bit more saved about language, etc., but couldn't find it on my quick look. Puma