PDA

View Full Version : ARCANE: Penny Dreadfuls For the 21st Century [1 cent/word]

nshumate
03-19-2011, 07:16 AM
The magazine with which I was previously associated, Arkham Tales, has gone on permanent hiatus; the publisher Leucrota Press and I parted ways over the business model, and without me the publisher said they had no immediate plans to keep the magazine going. A few weeks ago, the news came down that Leucrota Press was declaring bankruptcy, so that means that, unless someone buys it with the other intellectual property assets, Arkham Tales is truly gone.

However.

I have partnered with legendary game designer Sandy Petersen (who, among other things, created the original Call of Cthulhu role-playing game) to start a new magazine: Arcane. This magazine will be available in print as well as for popular ereaders; in other words, it will be on the front edge of 21st-century distribution instead of trailing behind.

The payment terms are 1 cent per word, plus a print copy and the availability of additional copies at a reduced price. Full details can be found at http://www.arcanemagazine.com . The first issue is due out next month.

Unimportant
03-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Will you be notifying the authors whose stories have been accepted for publication in Arkham Tales?

nshumate
03-19-2011, 05:49 PM
I'm contacting a few at a time whose stories will mix well with the new submissions I've been getting. But if you're a writer whose work was previous "pseudo-accepted" at Arkham Tales (I had such a backlog that I was telling writers that I would love to publish their story IF it was still available when I had space for it), go ahead and submit it here.

Domoviye
03-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks for posting this. I have a few stories that may be what you're looking for.

Quantum1019
03-20-2011, 05:44 AM
I love that first issue cover you have up on your site! Oddly enough, I just sat down to begin a sort of Lovecraftian short story that popped into my head earlier today when I saw this thread here. Maybe I'll send that story your way at some point after it's finished.

Phaeal
03-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Hi, Nathan! I was fortunate enough to make the last issue of Arkham Tales, which I've missed. Good luck with the new venture! I'll be watching for it.

It's exciting to hear you're partnering with Sandy Petersen. I'm a fan of the Cthulhu RPGs and the definitive Dreamlands and CM Field Guides, which have saved my life more than once. Those dratted Dimensional Shamblers... ;)

Bartholomew
04-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Sold a story to this market. Going to Taco Bell so that I may purr.

nshumate
04-12-2011, 09:37 PM
At last, the darksome prophecies are nigh at hand! The first issue of Arcane is available $2.99 in every conceivable ebook format, $7.99 in print! You owe it to yourself, your ancestry, and your progeny to check it out! More details here. (http://www.arcanemagazine.com/arcane-1-now-on-sale/)
http://www.arcanemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/ARCANE-1-small.jpg

alexshvartsman
04-13-2011, 03:22 AM
Congrats on getting the first issue out the door! That was quick.

scottishpunk
04-20-2011, 11:49 PM
I sold a story to Arcane! Huzzah! Huzzah!

Darren Frey
04-21-2011, 03:07 AM
I sold a story to Arcane! Huzzah! Huzzah!

Congrats! I submitted a story but havent heard back from them about it yet.

alexshvartsman
04-21-2011, 03:17 AM
Mr. Humate is pretty quick to respond. I'm sure he'll be getting back to you soon.

I wish they accepted flash. I'd have so many more stories to submit to them :)

Filigree
04-21-2011, 04:13 AM
Huzzah to ye, scottishpunk!

I sent them a story a few days ago. It looks like a pretty solid publication.

Bartholomew
05-07-2011, 11:56 PM
I got a story in. I'm hoping for word about issue #2.

regdog
05-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Congrats Bart

PEBKAC
05-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Congrats, Bart!

Has anybody read the first issue yet? I'm thinking about grabbing issue #1 for my Nook.

The Resurrectionist
05-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Submitted. :D

Darren Frey
05-22-2011, 04:32 PM
after about a month of nothing I emailed them only to get rejected.

Bartholomew
05-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Thanks!

@Darren Frey - Don't take it too hard. A month's time is damn good turn around, and Nathan Shumate is (last I heard) running the magazine solo. That's a lot of work. Remember, he has to find artwork, place it on the page, copy edit everything (in addition to regular editing!) and make sure his books are well-kept, so that he can pay taxes. And this is on top of his own writing projects.

Submit that story elsewhere, and try again at Arcane with a new title.