PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Coast swamps and critters

Williebee
03-19-2011, 07:09 AM
Hi folks-

I need a critter from the bayou/swamp/bogs that would collect up small rocks and sticks -- say for building their homes. Like maybe a turtle or some such.

Thanks in Advance!

Williebee

thothguard51
03-19-2011, 07:19 AM
Beavers....

Muskrats...

Gators...

Possums...

frimble3
03-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Birds? A large bird like an eagle does some pretty serious stick-wielding. Even a crow or a robin amasses a lot of smaller twigs, and herons make impressively wide nests. Presumably so that the leggy offspring don't, well, spring off.
Crows, and a few other birds, also like to gather the bits of bright'n'shiny.
Pebbles are more the province of shore-birds, etc, in twigless areas.

Fruitbat
03-19-2011, 03:06 PM
Nutria (water rats) make nests out of "vegetation," which I guess would include sticks.

Williebee
03-19-2011, 06:07 PM
OH, man. I forgot all about the Nutria. Years back, those buggers destroyed a park near my house in Texas. They had been imported by the state for some reason I can't remember. They tunneled and holed the creekbeds back to the point that the park became a bog.

WriteKnight
03-20-2011, 01:26 AM
They were SUPPOSED to eat the Hydrilla.

frimble3
03-20-2011, 05:21 AM
They would have been better off spreading the rumour that Hydrilla will make you high. People would have harvested all the Hydrilla, right quick.

thothguard51
03-20-2011, 05:23 AM
They would have been better off spreading the rumour that Hydrilla will make you high. People would have harvested all the Hydrilla, right quick.

What? It doen't???

Smiling Ted
03-20-2011, 07:44 AM
They were also meant to be hunted and ranched for meat and fur.

Williebee
03-20-2011, 07:59 AM
I seem to remember Chef Paul Prudhomme touting a Nutria dish. All I could think of was "Rats on the barbie? Supersize that for me!"

blacbird
03-20-2011, 08:20 AM
I need a critter from the bayou/swamp/bogs that would collect up small rocks and sticks

Gulf Coats bayous/swamps/bogs have virtually no rocks. You're dealing with mud/peat/decaying wood, pretty much. The major water-dwelling animals like alligators, muskrats, nutria, turtles, etc. just hang out in the water and maybe in burrows. Beavers range to the Gulf Coast, and will construct dams and hutches using sticks and mud.

Cajuns mainly use plywood and corrugated metal.

Williebee
03-20-2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks, all!

Rhonda9080
03-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Sunshineserpents.com - this guy can provide you with a lot of Gulf coast critter expertise, fora, fauna, etc.

Rhonda9080
03-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Hi folks-

I need a critter from the bayou/swamp/bogs that would collect up small rocks and sticks -- say for building their homes. Like maybe a turtle or some such.

Thanks in Advance!

Williebee

****This would be very specific to whether you're talking Louisiana, Alabama, Florida - there are many former coral and limestone formations in Florida swamps for example. I know of one where a certain snake, I think the rainbow snake(??) was losing habitat due to a government project to fill in the rock walls of a spring and make it "smooth" for swimmers.
In swampy areas, their are mudsnakes, amphora , lots of slimy, icky critters! Check out the guy's website. He's a herpetologist and my son - lots and lots of photos of reptiles and turtles too : )

Williebee
03-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Thanks, Miss Rhonda. I've been specifically looking for the bayou/swamp areas south of New Orleans.
And btw? Your son plays with icky stuff. :)

Reminds me of the rattlesnake roundups when I was a kid.

ooo tastes like chicken!