Reading manuscripts out loud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
At the publisher where I work, it is standard procedure to read a manuscript out loud after its initial edit. This is a group exercise, always done with multiple editors present. The number of useful changes that are identified while this is done is quite remarkable and time-intensive though it might be, it is worth it for all of the insight that is gained when we hear the text, rather than just read it.

I have also found that this works when I proof things that I have written. After writing the first draft, revising it, and proofing it, I read it out loud, alone. Lots of things in there make me wince, and they get changed.

I think other writers could benefit from doing this. Has anybody here ever tried it? Would anybody here like to try it and relate their experience with it?

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I read every chapter out loud when I've finished it. As you say, it's remarkable the things one finds that get missed otherwise. The mouth finds what the eyes "interpret".

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always read my work aloud. It's the one time I wish I had a pet, so someone could be my listener. When our kids were little, I read certain kinds of work aloud to them, and they still remember Mommy's Story when/if I mention it.

Maryn, admiring the way shadowwalker put it

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I read my books aloud when editing/redrafting. The amount of mistakes or issues that can be improved I catch is worth the time it takes.

HisBoyElroy

Conqueror Worm
Registered
Reaction score
I read my stuff aloud to myself and my wife, God love her, reads aloud to me. This seems to add a great deal of objectivity. She doesn't know where the inflections go etc and it's easy for me to see where she stumbles (i.e. where my writing is not as smooth as it should be.).

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's one of the best ways to discover if your intended intonation matches your black-and-white wording and punctuation. It also highlights the flow of the prose at all levels: sentence-to-sentence, paragraph-to-paragraph, and scene-to-scene.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
My brother hears me through the door and thinks I'm going crazy....er

Said The Sun

foremost, for prose
Registered
Reaction score
Funny. Just the other day I was telling someone here that the best editing is done with your ears.
Some writing programs have a built-in feature that will read for you. I use a program called yWriter but I think Word has it too (I was never able to make it work.) Once I'm done with a chapter I run it through the program, have it read out loud to me while I sit back and listen. It's true; you find a lot of stuff that otherwise silently—even after one hundred rereads—can escape even the savviest of writers' eye. This is a great thread and excellent advice!

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Yes - it works particularly well for short stories. And it gets you going in case you must give a public reading, too - I am now more confident at public readings.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I always read my work out loud as part of my editing process. It helps catch those clunky sentences and awkward phrases.

And then after that, I have my computer read it out loud, (I use my Mac's text to speech function, but other people have used their Kindles for this) because it reads the actual words on the page and not what I think I've written. It catches repeated words, one letter typos, and my writing nemesis: through vs though.

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After writing the first draft, revising it, and proofing it, I read it out loud, alone. Lots of things in there make me wince, and they get changed.

I do this, too. It's especially effective for making sure your dialogue can actually be spoken and sound natural.

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And then after that, I have my computer read it out loud ... because it reads the actual words on the page and not what I think I've written. It catches repeated words, one letter typos, and my writing nemesis: through vs though.

This is helpful, too. Although I did do a double-take when the computer decided "apt" was short for "apartment". Really gave that sentence a twist :D

Lost World

He'll NEVER fit in!
Registered
Reaction score
Guilty (thankfully). Though I don't read the whole manuscript aloud, usually just dialogue and paragraphs that don't seem to flow properly. Sounding them out is a good fix.

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
I don't do this, but I know I should. Blah. I guess I'll start with short stories and when I do the final round of manuscript edits, I'll do it to the novel too.

I know I should, but I'm not an auditory person. I learn things better through text than being talked to; even as a kid, once I was reading solidly on my own I preferred to read myself than being read to (which is weird, I know). Reading everything aloud just sounds painful to me.

It is true, though, that I always catch things when I read aloud in a crit group or whatever, so I should just do it.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
Guilty as well. Reading manuscripts out loud, particularly the narrative parts, greatly improves your own work and opens your eyes where you missed the important bits.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I often read aloud as I compose. Then I keep tweaking the sentence or paragraph in question until it sounds right.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I forgot to add something to my earlier post. My critique group (which meets in an hour, so naturally I'm sitting here in my bathrobe, with wet hair, at AW once again) sits in someone's living room and reads entire novels aloud, taking turns. We pause at the end of sections or chapters, and whenever the author needs us to pause so s/he can make notes on what wasn't working.

Maryn, who's getting offline now, honest!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
At the publisher where I work, it is standard procedure to read a manuscript out loud after its initial edit. This is a group exercise, always done with multiple editors present. The number of useful changes that are identified while this is done is quite remarkable and time-intensive though it might be, it is worth it for all of the insight that is gained when we hear the text, rather than just read it.

I have also found that this works when I proof things that I have written. After writing the first draft, revising it, and proofing it, I read it out loud, alone. Lots of things in there make me wince, and they get changed.

I think other writers could benefit from doing this. Has anybody here ever tried it? Would anybody here like to try it and relate their experience with it?

I do this for everything I write. I write articles, song lyrics, commercials, radio content, press releases, poetry, plays, novels, short stories, etc... I ALWAYS do this and suggest that all writers should.

Being first a poet and playwright, I found it NECESSARY to read my work out loud to make sure it 'sounded' right. I took that practice over to everything I write. Works great! You always pick up things when you hear staccato noises when you read out loud.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Used to do it, and stopped because I hate it. I found I can trust my inner ear as much as my outer.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I've been doing that piecemeal for bits I have trouble with, but I think I'll start doing it on purpose now as part of SoP. I know I always catch typos while doing it. :)

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I have a little computer program that reads out loud to me. It's pretty cool.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of script writers I know use this technique and swear by it. One says it is best if you have someone read from behind you so you can not see their efforts, but have to listen...

Me, I read in my head, or will read a section aloud to my girlfriend, but not whole scripts...

ladyleeona

fluently sarcastic grandma offender
Registered
Reaction score
When I'm having trouble writing particular scenes, I read it/them aloud. Generally not whole chapters...I can't listen to myself for that long! :)

When I write stuff for school/research, however, I usually do employ the reading out loud plan, and it has always been pretty good about highlighting typos and other junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.