PDA

View Full Version : German phrase help

adagietto
03-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Just wanted to ask for a few German phrases.

The phrases are "You are annoying me" and something along the lines of "(I swear) I'm going to kill you". Understandably, tourist German phrase books aren't a lot of help.

Also, what would a child call a rabbit? Is it different to what an adult would call a rabbit? Such as bunny/rabbit in English? And what might a child call their stuffed rabbit (a name like Mr. Rabbit)?

Lastly, how would a tutor say "Study harder" in German?

Thanks for any help on this :) I'm wary of online translations after seeing how they mangle Japanese and Greek phrases :P

Max Vaehling
03-18-2011, 09:40 PM
"You are annoying me"

Du gehst mir auf den Geist/Keks/Senkel!
Du nervst!

"(I swear) I'm going to kill you"

Dunno. "(Ich schwöre,) Ich bring' dich um" is something a German would scream when aggravated, but it's not really a figure of speech then.

Also, what would a child call a rabbit? Is it different to what an adult would call a rabbit? Such as bunny/rabbit in English? And what might a child call their stuffed rabbit (a name like Mr. Rabbit)?

That Mr. Animalname thing is something Germans don't do much. Not sure if there are common bunny names. Anyway, the correct German word is Kaninchen, which somethimes gets cutified to Karnickel. Which a child would both use, I think.

Lastly, how would a tutor say "Study harder" in German?

"Lern mehr", perhaps. (Learn more.) Depending on context, it could also be "Das msust Du aber noch üben" (that, you've yet to practice" or something.

adagietto
03-19-2011, 07:35 AM
Thank you so much! That was really helpful and well explained. I appreciate it :)